Are your kids allowed to play with the garden hose? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-10-2010, 05:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yep, my kids play with the hose nearly every day. Sometimes it's spraying each other, sometimes they run it down the slide on our playset, sometimes they're adding water to the splash pool. They tend to water the garden (such as it is this year) and the lawn while they're doing it. It's rarely on for more than an hour though, and if they get too rowdy with it (ie, spraying the house or spraying people who don't want to sprayed) they have to turn it off. Our water is metered, but it's inexpensive.

Wife to a great DH, SAHM to 3 great kids
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2010, 11:49 PM

Heck yeah!!!
if they are out of house I am all for it!!!!
only one rule..do not spray the neighbors
Old 08-11-2010, 02:20 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Yep!! We have a private well.

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
Old 08-11-2010, 11:35 AM

My main issue with hose play is that many garden hoses contain lead.

I let my kids play with our hose sometimes since it is a drinking water hose (you can buy them from RV supply stores - they're not even that much more expensive than regular garden hoses) but not to excess.

If we're at someone else's house I try not to let them play with hoses - and especially I don't let them drink from garden hoses. (I know I may be paranoid and excessively cautious on this issue, but my ds had lead poisoning as an infant due to paint in our house and it sensitized me to lead issues in a major way).
Old 08-11-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetMC View Post
Assuming you don't live in an area with a water shortage, what is your concern about wasting water?

Our water isn't metered so hose play doesn't cost us money, although, water was cheap and abundant the last place we lived too. The metered portion of our water bill there was only $7 per billing period, and we had seven people in the household.

Banning or limiting hose play would not get drinking water to people who need it. On one hand, I don't like to see drinking water being flushed down the toilet or soaking into the ground in our backyard, but on the other hand, I don't feel that being ultra conservative with our water usage actually helps anybody.

We lived in San Diego for a short time, and I've toured Hoover Dam. I know that water is an issue for lots of people, plenty of them far worse off than southern California, but I don't see a ban or severe restriction on hose play being anything more than a show of solidarity.
I live in the desert, but even if I didn't it would still concern me. I think, for me, it's just mindful living. Just because there is an abundance of something doesn't mean it needs to go down the drain.

I'm surprised to hear there are places that don't have to conserve water. Even in western NY we had water restrictions or suggestions for washing cars and watering lawns. And it rained ALL THE TIME there.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopin' Mama View Post
I live in the desert, but even if I didn't it would still concern me. I think, for me, it's just mindful living. Just because there is an abundance of something doesn't mean it needs to go down the drain.

I'm surprised to hear there are places that don't have to conserve water. Even in western NY we had water restrictions or suggestions for washing cars and watering lawns. And it rained ALL THE TIME there.
I live in a place the doesn't have water conservation. Iowa. It seems to flood every year, we have too much water!

In my yard and the woods behind my house, I have springs all over the place where water bubbles up and runs down into the ravines 24 hours a day, so I don't feel guilty if someone wants to play in a hose and draw water out of the well for fun. Except the place is usually too muddy anyway.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopin' Mama View Post

It doesn't go down the drain, it goes into the ground. Where our well got it in the first place.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmulberry View Post
I live in a place the doesn't have water conservation. Iowa. It seems to flood every year, we have too much water!
Flooding occurs when there's more water at one time than the landscape can dissipate quickly enough. It doesn't necessarily mean there's an unlimited supply of fresh clean water. And while flooding can be a natural occurrence, it can also be the result of or made worse by poor water and land management.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetMC View Post
Assuming you don't live in an area with a water shortage, what is your concern about wasting water?

Our water isn't metered so hose play doesn't cost us money, although, water was cheap and abundant the last place we lived too. The metered portion of our water bill there was only $7 per billing period, and we had seven people in the household.

Banning or limiting hose play would not get drinking water to people who need it. On one hand, I don't like to see drinking water being flushed down the toilet or soaking into the ground in our backyard, but on the other hand, I don't feel that being ultra conservative with our water usage actually helps anybody.

We lived in San Diego for a short time, and I've toured Hoover Dam. I know that water is an issue for lots of people, plenty of them far worse off than southern California, but I don't see a ban or severe restriction on hose play being anything more than a show of solidarity.
My concern with completely unrestricted water-play is that my kids tend to leave the hose on and walk away from it, to go do something else. Also, my youngest once put a running hose in my car's tailpipe, which didn't do any damage, but it made me more aware of ways in which he might do real damage with the hose either to himself or to something expensive if he isn't properly supervised.

If kids are really using the hose a lot, it's possible to cause moisture problems in your basement too. Too much water is too much water.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:49 PM

I got one of those safe for drinking hoses. I then put one of those adaptors on my spout so I could use two different hoses.

I use it on my sprinkler for the front. If they are playing in the sprinkler it is also watering my garden at the same time.

Occasionally I let them just play with the hose but that is rare.

Not all those who wander are lost 
Old 08-11-2010, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
whether it is water or anything else, just because it is abundant i tend not to 'abundantly' use it. yet i want to give my dd some fun too.

which is why she used to play in the sprinkler or hose when we were watering the garden or washing the car.

for that very reason we used to take only rare baths too.

the result. even if i have never pointed it out dd stops someone from running the water continuously when they brush their teeth.

just to bring it to the consciousness.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
Old 08-11-2010, 08:31 PM

Yes, although ds isn't super excited about just playing with the hose, he prefers watering the garden etc.

But we conserve water in other ways, we don't flush pee. We don't take daily showers (well not all of us at least). We don't water the "lawn" or wash our car. We only was full loads of laundry and dishes. We have low flow shower heads. So "playing" is not waste to us.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamazee View Post
It doesn't go down the drain, it goes into the ground. Where our well got it in the first place.

And for us, at least, it waters the plants that grow the food we eat, too, along the way.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
Old 08-12-2010, 12:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
[QUOTE=Llyra;15727802]

And for us, at least, it waters the plants that grow the food we eat, too, along the way.[/QUOTE

I never understand this. How does your kids spraying each other end up with water on the beets? We empty our kiddie pool bucket by bucket on the the veggies but the spray just ends up on grass/dirt/each other.

As for the water going back to the ground where it came from. Umm, no. You lose much more to evaporation. Just because you are using private well water doesn't mean your water usage doesn't effect the entire community's water table.

But I still voted for yes, I let my kids play with the hose, in moderation. We even drink from it on occasion!

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yup, loves it!

'09   
Old 08-12-2010, 01:13 PM

Yes. We have a well, so the water that we are using comes out of the ground, then goes right back into the ground, where it gets filtered by the soil (used by some plants along the way) and ends up... right back where we took it from. Some probably evaporates and forms the lovely rain we get so frequently.

Water is a finite resource in many places, but the issue is that it's not really feasible to transport my water to someone who has less (or I'd assume we'd be doing much more redistribution of water). There are other things I have to do without because of where we live (like warm winters), but water is not one of them. It's just recycled here.

I don't waste water wantonly, but I'm not averse to a few summer days with the hose or sprinklers on.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't think that much is evaporating. Our air is pretty saturated. If it weren't, my cloth diapers would dry better on the line. These things are different in a swampy flood plain than in dry climates.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:35 PM

[QUOTE=mumm;15727839]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llyra View Post

And for us, at least, it waters the plants that grow the food we eat, too, along the way.[/QUOTE

I never understand this. How does your kids spraying each other end up with water on the beets? We empty our kiddie pool bucket by bucket on the the veggies but the spray just ends up on grass/dirt/each other.

For us, it's because our land is sloped. So the water runs downhill. So if my kitchen garden is situated at the lower end of the slope, and the kids are playing uphill, the water runs down to the garden. Also, the ground here is largely clay, which means that outside of our gardens, where the soil has been conditioned by years of care, the drainage is lousy. Which means the water mostly pools up on the grass, which enhances the run-downhill effect.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
Old 08-12-2010, 04:36 PM

Sorry. Double post.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:46 PM

Yeah, and pretty much unrestricted. We live in the Mississippi Delta, so water is abundant. If he forgets to turn it off, then we take a few days off from it... but mostly he can play in it as much as he wants.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:40 PM

Yeah, I let mine as long as they aren't tormenting eachother with it or running it for hours on end.

Diana & Mitch Hunter Scott- March 17, 2002 Tabitha Suzanne- July 1, 2004
David Joseph- ^8^- August 19, 2005 (19w3d) Natalie Elaine- May 21, 2006
Old 08-13-2010, 12:02 AM

I'm not sure if this applies in other areas of the country, but any water that I use will be diverted from what is available to endangered native fish in our local streams. This should make me far more cautious with how I use water, but I still believe in water play. It's become more of an issue this summer, with two heat waves and a ridiculous new "clean water" regulation that closed the city's chlorinated, fresh-filled-daily wading pools.

User Tag List