9 yr old dd with B.O. ? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-07-2010, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd is 10 in September. I am very surprised that she is getting body odor where she needs to wash throughly and use deodorant. Is this common and is it a first sign of puberty with the rest following in the next couple of years? I remember friends teasing me about my breast buds and how they showed through my t-shirt or moved when I ran when I was about 11 and I think I got my menarche right around 13. She is not overweight although she has a little more fleshiness than usual and I put that down to her body getting ready for a growth spurt. She has had a huge appetite recently but again I just assumed her body was telling her she needed more energy for growing. She is happy, healthy and active.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2010, 11:32 PM

Just last week I had to buy my dd8 (who'll turn 9 in October) deodorant. She already has breast buds, body hair and a slight tummy so she's clearly developing physically and I expect to see her start her period within the next year or so.

Gazing furtively at you from under my siggie!
Old 08-07-2010, 11:46 PM
MJB

My son started getting B.O. and wearing deodorant at 6. He's 7.5 now with no signs of early puberty aside from stinky armpits (and, oh god, his feet...)
Old 08-08-2010, 01:15 AM

My 8 year old DD also started needing to wear deodorant (Tom's of Maine works great for her). I remember that I was given my first deodorant when I was 8 or 9, but I didn't get breasts or my period until I was just about to turn 13. I don't think the two correlate that much.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savannah smiles View Post
Just last week I had to buy my dd8 (who'll turn 9 in October) deodorant. She already has breast buds, body hair and a slight tummy so she's clearly developing physically and I expect to see her start her period within the next year or so.
That seems very early to me. Have you had her checked for precocious puberty? I knew someone with a 7 year old who started with puberty and the doctors put her on hormones and medications to stop it. (not that I recommend that, or know much about it, but it'd be something I'd get checked out)
Old 08-08-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverSky View Post
That seems very early to me. Have you had her checked for precocious puberty? I knew someone with a 7 year old who started with puberty and the doctors put her on hormones and medications to stop it. (not that I recommend that, or know much about it, but it'd be something I'd get checked out)
She does have precocious puberty and until earlier this year, she was medicated. Her pediatric endocrinoligist felt comfortable with stopping medication at this point because 8/9 is a normalish age to develop and she wouldn't stand out as much amongst peers (our biggest concern). I needed a bra by 9/10 so she's just going to develop early no matter what.
But thanks for mentioning it in case I didn't know about it!

Gazing furtively at you from under my siggie!
Old 08-08-2010, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Normal puberty starts anytime between 8 and 13. Anything before 8 is precocious puberty and even that isn't a big deal unless there are other things going on with it or the progression happens very quickly. Body odor, breast buds, and growing underarm or pubic hair are some of the early symptoms.

My dd started early and it has been a big adjustment. I went through a period of denial at first but I don't know if that is common for parents who's children go through at a more typical age.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My dd has had BO since 6, and at 8 has no other signs whatsoever of puberty. She's outside and plays hard and it's hot out, so she gets stinky, but I am not concerned about puberty starting soon. I asked her pediatrician about it at some well child visit since the BO started and the pediatrician agreed that the stink can start early.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My daughter has had major BO and has needed deodorant since she was 6. I definately don't think 9 is too young.

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
Old 08-09-2010, 01:39 AM

Kids start to smell at about age 8-ish.

When my daughter went to fourth grade, the teachers told all the kids "If you smell, I will quietly tell you you smell... I'm not having a classroom that smells like a locker room." The kids all thought that was funny... but within a week, my dd started complaining about how the kids all smelled. LOL
Old 08-09-2010, 08:35 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
i think there is a stage called prepuberty. that includes mood swings and body odor.

mine started at 6. but nothing else since then.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
Old 08-09-2010, 09:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
i was 8 when i started getting bo. startd budding at 9 and first af at 13.5.
Posted via Mobile Device

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:16 PM

My almost 9 1/2 yo has been wearing deodorant for about a year. Some breast buds, but that's it. Seems normal.

L

ribboncesarean.gif   vbac.gif  My kids jammin.gif  

Old 08-12-2010, 01:28 PM

my almost 9 year old has no signs of puberty, but she's been wearing deodorant for about a year. she is this tall skinny thing that can smell like a man! when it started, i kept wondering WHAT IS THAT SMELL??? IT SMELLS LIKE BAD TACOS!!! ugh, it was her underarms, lol. i have tried homemade deodorant, but it doesn't work well for her. the only thing that seems to conquer it is tom's deodorant.

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

User Tag List