How old is too old for skin-to-skin? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 120 Old 08-16-2010, 11:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by loraxc View Post
I think you are going to get a lot of replies about little boys and their penises. Trust me, they find them early. DD was later to figure this out, but she was masturbating by 4. She also has been taught not to allow others to touch her genitals (except a doctor) since the age when she became independent in the bathroom. Am I concerned??? No. Not sure what you're implying. DD is a normal little boy and DD is a normal little girl.
no no no. i wasnt implying anything.

at all.

just the reverse. Im saying that even in the broad scope, even considering that your dd may have found her ownership earlier than another- that a child as young as 2, 3, 4 or 5 is not too old for a naked cuddle- generally speaking.... unless they exhibit behaviour that would make an otherwise comfortable parent then feel uncomfortable. kwim?

thats all.

I was trying to relate it back to the "whenever one party becomes uncomfortable with it"

i dont think I was clear enough.

sorry if I sounded like I was implying you should be concerned.... totally not my intention.

like i couldnt imagine thinking all 2 year olds are too old for skin to skin. but i could see how *i* would be uncomfortable laying skin to skin if i thought he would possibly do something to make me uncomfortable.

Id rather avoid that scenario, so that there isnt some situation that requires the "privates" convo at two.

~jen~ )O( mama to k 07/05 o 5/08 and c 12/09
#92 of 120 Old 08-16-2010, 11:31 PM

I slept topless with DS in just a diaper for the first six months of his life and it was the most blissfull six months of snuggling I have ever experienced. He is now 3.5 and we both pretty regularly sleep in the nude, or nearly so and there is absolutely no weirdness. He actually still gets super excited when I change my shirt or get dressed in the morning. He will ask to give my breasts hugs and kisses before I put them into a bra, and he just snuggles his head in between them.

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#93 of 120 Old 08-17-2010, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Obviously if all parties are asleep and don't register it, it's benign. But IME, children become aware of pleasure emanating from genitals pretty early. If a child has an innocent (as in, parent not intentionally involved) but pleasurable experience rubbing up against or otherwise intimately contacting his/her genitals with a parent's body, which I think is much more likely when sleeping nude and cuddling, it could be a confusing memory. I could certainly see my 2yo son waking up in bed with me with an erection and trying to rub on me. He clearly knows what the deal is there and in fact he has asked me to rub it, so why wouldn't he rub on me in bed? He wouldn't remember, of course, so whatever, but an older child might.

My own DD needed some anti-yeast cream on her vulva at 4 and would not let me put it on. She also does not want me to watch her in the bathroom (this rule does not apply to me--she still walks in on me, which I don't care about). I am happy to see that the message that those parts are private has registered. I believe that a child who lives in a house where adult-child contact with the naked genitals is considered normal and benign, even if it IS, could end up not registering some more subtle forms of abuse. Even if the experience was just as *physically innocent* as your sleeping with your own child, would you want an uncle or a family friend sleeping naked with your child? What if he/she said, what, you do this at home with mom, right?

And no, of course abuse doesn't have to include nude genitals to be abuse.

BTW, I don't really think anyone here is cuddling with their nude teenagers. However, I think the tween age is getting kind of gray for nude cuddling, myself, and the statement was that ALL kinds of contact between nude family members, presumably of ANY age, is perfectly fine as long as intent is benign.
My DD1 (4yo) masturbates. She has done for about 2 years. I gently remind her that's something she does when she's alone i guess i fail to see how that's related to sleeping naked...

My DD is pretty smart. She knows there is a big difference between Mama and her uncle (FWIW her uncle on my side sexually abused me for 7 years and she has never met him and will never be alone with him). It is really not hard to teach a child that nudity is something we save for a select few - for instance she sees that when FIL is coming over we all have to dressed. Her theoretical paedophile uncle would not KNOW to say "what you do it with mama right?" because it's not something everyone knows - why would i tell them what i wear in bed? She is well versed in what a tricky person might ask or do (show her their genitals, ask to see hers, want too many cuddles, talk about genitals too much, just give her a funny icky feeling even though she might not know why, and etc.) and what she should do (get away from them and tell mama, mama will ALWAYS believe her). She has had practice when the doctor asked her about her genitals when she had scratched herself and we were concerned about infection - she turned to me in the consultation room and said "mama he's talking about my genitals a lot, do you think he's tricky?" - doctor was very impressed. Another time on the bus she told me, of a drunk guy that was chatting to her (very inappropriately, i was livid!) "he made my tummy feel crawly" - we moved to another seat after i told him if he even LOOKED at her again i would make trouble for him.

If you acknowledge that abuse can occur even clothed, what if an abuser wanted to hold hands, hug or kiss your child? What if s/he wanted your child to sit on his/her lap and read a book together? Are you going to make sure never to do those things too so that it's not an "in" for abuse? Are we to teach our child that NO-ONE may have physical contact with them, to spare them the one kind of contact that is harmful? Abuse takes something wholesome that kids enjoy (physical contact) and twists it for the pleasure of the abuser. The answer is vigilance about who is around one's kids, not withdrawing all physical affection so the child will think it odd if they have ANY contact with another person.

It is possible to teach a child how to protect themselves from abuse without also having them "protect" themselves from healthy, loving affection.
#94 of 120 Old 08-17-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
just the reverse. Im saying that even in the broad scope, even considering that your dd may have found her ownership earlier than another- that a child as young as 2, 3, 4 or 5 is not too old for a naked cuddle- generally speaking.... unless they exhibit behaviour that would make an otherwise comfortable parent then feel uncomfortable. kwim?

thats all.

I was trying to relate it back to the "whenever one party becomes uncomfortable with it"

i dont think I was clear enough.

sorry if I sounded like I was implying you should be concerned.... totally not my intention.
Oh, okay. Gotcha. I guess, though, that I don't think DS is unusual?

Quote:
It is really not hard to teach a child that nudity is something we save for a select few - for instance she sees that when FIL is coming over we all have to dressed.
I guess my experience is that families who are relaxed about nudity have kids who are relaxed about nudity everywhere, not just at home. I know kids up to age 5 who still get naked randomly and in public (eg, at the beach, at a party). I don't think this is the worst thing ever, mind you. I think, however, that you sound more diligent about teaching boundaries than perhaps many families who sleep in the nude, for instance.

Quote:
The answer is vigilance about who is around one's kids, not withdrawing all physical affection so the child will think it odd if they have ANY contact with another person.
How is being in favor of avoiding contact with nude genitals being in favor of withdrawing all physical contact? Although, FWIW, no, I would not allow my child to sit on a strange man's lap.

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

#95 of 120 Old 08-17-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Oh, okay. Gotcha. I guess, though, that I don't think DS is unusual?
bolding mine. i dont think he is unusual either- just different than my 2 yo dd. and my dd is probably different than many other 2yo girls. all kids do things at different ages. like I said, I have no experience with boys, but I hear friends talk all the time about the differences... i shall soon learn with my little one here.

i also have the 5 year old that gets naked at the beach. I tend to ask them to stay clothed, because i have read enough threads here to make me uncomfortable about other parents approaching me that and sand in the butt sounds uncomfortable.

my only point in saying that is that we are not naked sleepers, and we are not necessarily naked people.

we just have never had the "nakedness is inappropriate" conversation.

im really vigilant about letting my kids know their body is their own.

However, I do not shame their nakedness or their body parts. Ive raised them to know their WHOLE BODY is theirs. no one has the right to touch them at all unless they say its ok.

not their naked body- their body, kwim?

ive read enough about pedophiles to know that a kid in a parka can be just as "desirable" as a naked one. i seem to remember something where they reported about clothed kids at a park were more luring than naked ones at a water fountain.

cant remember where I read or watched that.

thats where I think people seem to not worry so much about naked cuddling. its that some people really do not see naked children and think = potential victim.

#96 of 120 Old 08-17-2010, 07:40 PM

You kids masturbate. Older kids masturbate. Adults and senior citizens masturbate. It's human nature. The only difference is that a 4 year old isn't thinking about sex when they do it, and they likely wont remember any specific episode of masturbation to make the sex ---> masturbation ----> parent in the room when they are older and turn it into sex ----> parent used as sex object.

As for molestation, many instances of sexual abuse happen through clothes in situations like what a PP mentioned. Sitting on the adults lap while they "enjoy" the contact. Excessive hugging, kissing, or touching through clothes. It doesn't have to be naked in bed together for it to be sexual abuse.

Finally, kids are actually capable of distinguishing between adults and situations and recognizing when something is appropriate or in appropriate. Personally I don't think a 5 year old getting naked at the beach is inappropriate, and I am not alone in that belief. That being said, a 5 year old that gets naked at the beach will still be able to tell the difference between "naked at the beach" and "naked in front of a weird guy who makes me uncomfortable in the privacy of someones house". We don't develop the alarm bell in out gut once we become adults, it's something that has been growing and (hopefully) well honed since we were little. That's why most kids go through a shy stage at least once, they are working through generalizations to acquire something more accurate.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#97 of 120 Old 08-17-2010, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Finally, kids are actually capable of distinguishing between adults and situations and recognizing when something is appropriate or in appropriate.
Sometimes. Not always. I think this is a very dangerous generalization. Sometimes kids are not going to realize till later that what they experienced was wrong. Touch feels good, as has been covered here. Not all abuse registers as wrong at the time.

Quote:
Ive raised them to know their WHOLE BODY is theirs. no one has the right to touch them at all unless they say its ok.
Hmm. But there is a world of difference between "Mrs. B touched me on the shoulder in math class and I didn't like that" and "Mrs. B touched me under my underwear."

#98 of 120 Old 08-17-2010, 08:31 PM

Quote:

Hmm. But there is a world of difference between "Mrs. B touched me on the shoulder in math class and I didn't like that" and "Mrs. B touched me under my underwear."
Not as much of a difference as one might think at first glance. Both are unwanted physical contact. Both are wrong. The only differences are the level of discomfort, the level of psychological damage, and the fact that one is criminal behaviour.

The whole body belongs to the person. Whether you touch someone on the shoulder, or on the genitals, unwanted physical contact is unwanted physical contact. DD knows that no one has a right to touch her genitals without her permission. She also knows that no one has a right to touch her head/shoulder/elbow/any other non-sexual body part without her permission.

Quote:
Sometimes. Not always. I think this is a very dangerous generalization. Sometimes kids are not going to realize till later that what they experienced was wrong. Touch feels good, as has been covered here. Not all abuse registers as wrong at the time.
I've had this conversation with quite a few survivors of abuse, the vast majority had some feeling that what was happening wasn't right. Those that didn't often hail from families where children had no personal boundaries because they weren't allowed to have them. Don't wanna hug grandma? Too bad, do it anyway. So the feeling that something is wrong didn't register right away.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#99 of 120 Old 08-17-2010, 09:14 PM

Quote:
there is a lot of difference between those two acts- however, i believe that my child would first of all, tell me right away under both circumstances...

there are children that "knew" certain behaviour was "inappropriate touching" and were too scared to say anything at the time to stop it.

knowing that certain behaviour is abusive does not stop the abuse. I think a lot of children who were abused didnt even realize it WAS abuse. the grooming period was long enough to not have triggered any "danger' flags. with my daughter- I have taught her that there are people out there- doctors, police, clergy included- that are not nice to children. That if anyone tries to get her alone in a room, that she should not go, etc etc. if she ever gets lost, she is to find a woman with children and give them my phone number.

i am lucky enough that I am with my children 100% of the time. I literally never leave. ever. i saw a movie in november while they slept. so I have never had to worry about not being within ear shot if someone tried something.

ive been at birthday parties where someones uncle was spending a bit too much time with the littles for my liking, or been in public when a creepy person set off my internal alarm.

9 times out of 10- my daughters triggers were also set off.

i chose to not teach her about "privates"- because i feel like that sets the genitalia up as some taboo thing to be hidden, revered...what have you.

so i think that this is so separate from nakedness. naked snuggling should stop when one of the parties feels uncomfortable doing so. not because they are being sexually triggered... but because they feel that they would rather not have their naked body touched by the other person.

i would like for the world to stop associating nakedness from sexuality so that innocence could stick around longer than a couple years. i would love for my daughter to be able to be free at the beach and nature. the fact that I have been trained by society to feel uncomfortable- not about molesters- about people calling cps or starting an argument or approaching me or my child in a way that is aggressive makes me sad.

once, at the park, a very large group of us were approached by an older woman telling us she had called the police and cps because a couple of the 3 year olds had gotten naked.

no police ever showed up- but thats insanity to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post
I've had this conversation with quite a few survivors of abuse, the vast majority had some feeling that what was happening wasn't right. Those that didn't often hail from families where children had no personal boundaries because they weren't allowed to have them. Don't wanna hug grandma? Too bad, do it anyway. So the feeling that something is wrong didn't register right away.

exactly. its about empowering them.

give them ownership of themselves and allow them to enforce their ownership.

#100 of 120 Old 08-17-2010, 09:44 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
as someone who is a survivor and someone who has volunteered with other survivors - there is so much to it. but let me tell you we all KNOW. at that time. i had never ever been told about anything when i was raped. but i knew it was wrong. my family was cool about being nude but not talking anything about it. even at 5 i still remember sooo clearly that this was wrong. that he should not be doing it.

but yeah listening to our children is HUUUGE for me. because i feel all children KNOW. they can pick up things that we adults have been deadened to. not necessarily sexual - meaning that person is a pedofile but that that person is not a 'nice' person. my v. social infant who would lunge out of my arms towards certain people, would never do that with some of them. she would cower from some of them. it would be a 180 degrees difference. yeah sitting on santa claus's lap is teh perfect example for me.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#101 of 120 Old 08-17-2010, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:
Not as much of a difference as one might think at first glance. Both are unwanted physical contact. Both are wrong. The only differences are the level of discomfort, the level of psychological damage, and the fact that one is criminal behaviour.

The whole body belongs to the person. Whether you touch someone on the shoulder, or on the genitals, unwanted physical contact is unwanted physical contact. DD knows that no one has a right to touch her genitals without her permission. She also knows that no one has a right to touch her head/shoulder/elbow/any other non-sexual body part without her permission.
plus i wanted to add that many of the pedo touches start with a mrs B touched me on the shoulder... touch type of thing before it went further.

and yeah ITA with MD. that's the same i have done with dd. its not so much the touch as much as the intent. you know the 'accidental' touch which you know was not accidental. whether to your boobs or just another part of your body.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#102 of 120 Old 08-17-2010, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbieB View Post
I just want to say that my kids are 2 and 6 and we still have skin to skin contact on a daily basis.

Do I strip off my shirt and cuddle them between my breasts like a newborn? No. But I have no problem sleeping naked next to my naked child in the family bed or snuggling and nursing while still naked after a bath or shower.

Skin to skin contact feels good. It's a sensual thing, not a sexual thing.
Similar. If anyone was uncomfortable, it would stop.

I prefer to have clothes on, both my dds (ages almost eight and almost three) run rampantly naked at home. I can convince them to keep underwear on most of the time (mostly to protect their little bottoms).

Full time working mom to two bright and busy little girls! treehugger.gif
#103 of 120 Old 08-18-2010, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamomile Girl View Post
THANK you! Same here. I don't know why remembering one's dad naked would even be an issue. In fact I find some of the condemnation on this thread rather perplexing. Naked should not be sexualizing by default, and I think that is why some folks have a problem with sharing nakedness with children.

Naked can just be naked, and skin to skin contact with children is a loving thing.

I am often naked in front of my 3.5 year old son. He's a total nudist...strips all the time. I have to constantly ask him to put his cloths on. Very occasionally, he shows interest in my breasts...we weaned when he was about 27 months or so. I don't really freak out about it, either. I figure that he views my breasts as a very comforting and so he is somewhat interested in them. But other than that...I don't see the big deal with people being naked in front of their kids, if both parties are fine with it. I certainly don't see a problem with a single mom and her daughter sharing a bed with nudity... Not a big deal to me at all...

"Breastfeeding is a robust, biologically stable activity so central to our evolutionary identity that it names the class of animals to which we belong" (Breastfeeding Atlas, Third Edition)
#104 of 120 Old 08-18-2010, 10:49 AM

I can't even express how misguided I think it is to believe that children always know what is abuse and what is not unless something is "wrong" with their intuition and they have been somehow raised wrong.

This verges on a victim-blaming mentality.

Quote:
but let me tell you we all KNOW.
This is simply incorrect. It is offensive to me that you think can speak for all victims of abuse. Imagine how it would feel to read this as an abuse victim who did not "know" at the time.

Some children are too young to know. Some children are developmentally delayed. Some children have been looking for attention and are pleased to get it. These are just a very few reasons why a child might not fully realize what is happening is abuse. I do not believe in this magical innocent perfect child intuition. Believing this could give a very risky false sense of security.

#105 of 120 Old 08-18-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
DD knows that no one has a right to touch her genitals without her permission. She also knows that no one has a right to touch her head/shoulder/elbow/any other non-sexual body part without her permission.
So...here we are talking about how children are hungry for touch, and you are telling me that your child has been taught that anyone who touches her must ask for permission first? Am I understanding you correctly? Frankly I think there is a huge difference here. As far as I am concerned, adults who interact with my children have an implicit right to touch their arm, elbow, head, etc unless my child specifically says "Please don't touch me." She is 6 and she goes to school and classes (I am not one to never let my child out of my sight--most parents cannot do this) and it would be bizarre and impractical to teach her that no one can ever touch her without asking first. I can't imagine a child doing this anyway. I know there are schools where no one is ever supposed to hug anyone, etc but I find this bizarre and am very glad my kid does not go to one.

But these adults certainly do not have an implicit right to touch her genitals unless she says no. These are two different kinds of touch. I find this argument very disingenuous and impractical.

#106 of 120 Old 08-18-2010, 11:49 AM

loraxc, with respect, most abusers rely on a mixture of guilt and shame and fear in their victims to ensure they maintain silence on it. In general victims do know what is happening is wrong, just not the specific magnitude of the wrongness or who is to blame (usually they blame themselves), otherwise most of us would have told someone right away. If it's not wrong, then why would my abuser tell me to keep it a secret? Why would my dad lose his job if i told? Why would my mother leave me at the police station forever if it wasn't wrong? If it was so ok, why would just *talking* to anyone about it cause my world to end? I knew. He made me feel it was MY wrong, but still, i knew it was wrong.

And i know no-one is allowed to touch me without my permission, but i don't have to go around telling people i consent to a hug or pat on the arm, i simply verbally or physically withdraw consent if it happens when i don't want it. To pretend children would not do the same is strange. My DD is generally open to hugs. Yet if she doesn't want one she simply says "no thanks, i don't want to hug".
#107 of 120 Old 08-18-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Some children are too young to know. Some children are developmentally delayed. Some children have been looking for attention and are pleased to get it. These are just a very few reasons why a child might not fully realize what is happening is abuse. I do not believe in this magical innocent perfect child intuition. Believing this could give a very risky false sense of security.
i guess I am failing to understand how believing and following a childs intuition combined with age and situation appropriate guidance is blaming the victim but teaching them "no one is allowed to touch your privates" is not?

if you tell them no one is allowed- and they allow it? do they then feel shame? are they then less likely to tell you because they are scared you will be mad for them "allowing" it? for not saying no out of fear?

what if their abuser tells them "dont tell your mom, she will be mad" and the one thing you have told them is "never let ANYONE touch you there"

i think that is dangerous.

#108 of 120 Old 08-18-2010, 12:05 PM

I think having any expectations that a child can do ANYTHING much to protect themselves against an abuser is dangerous. This is likely to be a person the parents know well and have allowed suitable access to their child for abuse to occur. Abusers groom parents first. If this person is able to fool you enough that they had access to your child, it's not likely that child is going to be capable of doing a better job than you at fighting their approaches off. To assume so is like leaving a kid your own kids age to babysit him/her. You wouldn't leave a 4yo in charge of your 4yo's safety, right?

All you can hope for is that a) you have been careful enough in establishing who you allow access to your kids and b) you have an open enough dialogue with your kids that IF they suffer the advances someone who got under your radar they are able to report fully and early to you.

I haven't really told DD not to let anyone touch her genitals. I've told her it's WEIRD if anyone wants to and she should tell me.

Really, i cannot remember how any of this relates to the age children become too old for skin-to-skin contact. Unless we count abuse. I would say ANY age is wrong for skin-to-skin as part of sexual abuse!
#109 of 120 Old 08-18-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBecGo View Post

All you can hope for is that a) you have been careful enough in establishing who you allow access to your kids and b) you have an open enough dialogue with your kids that IF they suffer the advances someone who got under your radar they are able to report fully and early to you.
you worded this so well.

i was JUST thinking how incredibly off topic this all is...

#110 of 120 Old 08-18-2010, 12:55 PM

...back on topic. I just read through this whole thread. To answer the OP's question.

We cosleep with our soon-to-be 5y/o DD. Both DH and DD sleeps naked because it's their personal preference. DH generally keeps a sheet around his middle for his own comfort. I wear a nightie when I get cold but if it's a warm night I'm naked. DD asks us for a "daily cuddle" (the three of us together) every morning and it's a really sweet moment for us. And yes, it's skin to skin.

We will follow DD's lead for her own comfort level re: nudity and cosleeping. Right now she likes both and that's fine. When she wants to change that situation, that'll be fine too.

I totally agree that with all the comments that nudity does not equal sex and that it's a matter of following people's comfort levels.
#111 of 120 Old 08-18-2010, 01:09 PM

I would suggest that every parent read up on the current thinking on how to prevent child sexual abuse. While there is certainly the acknowledgement that children should trust "bad feelings" about a person, there is a lot more to it than that. It is very widely acknowledged that children should be taught that certain areas are private.

http://www.stopitnow.com/dont_wait_everyday_prevention

http://www.rainn.org/get-information...sexual-assault

"# Teach children that some parts of their body are private.

* Let children know that other people should not be touching or looking at their private parts unless they need to touch them to provide care. If someone does need to touch them in those private areas, a parent or trusted caregiver should be there, too.
* Tell children that if someone tries to touch those private areas or wants to look at them, OR if someone tries to show the child their own private parts, they should tell a trusted adult as soon as possible.

FTR, I don't think I have worded it as "Don't let anyone touch you there" but as "That part of your body is private and no one should touch you there unless it is a doctor giving you an exam and I am there. If they do, tell me right away."

Also, if you object to children being taught that some areas are private and that there is a different standard for those areas than the rest of your body, and your child attends school, you may want to look at their curriculum to see if there is a component about preventing abuse. This is what they will be taught.

I would also urge anyone who sleeps naked with a child over 3-4 or so to consider that CPS might find this problematic. I'm not saying you're abusing them! I'm not saying I'd report you! But I'm pretty sure some people might.

#112 of 120 Old 08-18-2010, 01:25 PM

I looked at the first site and think that there is a difference between people having a RIGHT to privacy surrounding nudity and people having that "right" enforced upon them. My DD has a right to eat, she needn't eat if she isn't hungry. She has a right to sleep alone, she needn't if she doesn't want to. She has a RIGHT to be clothed, but she needn't be if she doesn't want to unless there is some compelling reason, like we are going out or someone is coming to visit (even then she sometimes gets randomly naked!). No-one here is enforcing skin-to-skin time, so how is this relevant to this discussion?
#113 of 120 Old 08-18-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
I would suggest that every parent read up on the current thinking on how to prevent child sexual abuse. While there is certainly the acknowledgement that children should trust "bad feelings" about a person, there is a lot more to it than that. It is very widely acknowledged that children should be taught that certain areas are private.

http://www.stopitnow.com/dont_wait_everyday_prevention

http://www.rainn.org/get-information...sexual-assault

"# Teach children that some parts of their body are private.

* Let children know that other people should not be touching or looking at their private parts unless they need to touch them to provide care. If someone does need to touch them in those private areas, a parent or trusted caregiver should be there, too.
* Tell children that if someone tries to touch those private areas or wants to look at them, OR if someone tries to show the child their own private parts, they should tell a trusted adult as soon as possible.

i those are great guidelines that should be followed when developmentally and situationally appropriate- which is different for every child.

i am choosing not to focus on that aspect with my children until they are going to be away from me. Im focusing more on the whole body ownership- the older they get the easier I think it would be to get this message across without CONFUSING them as to WHY it needs to be private.

the rainn site also states

Quote:
All children should be told that it’s okay to say “no” to touches that make them uncomfortable or if someone is touching them in ways that make them uncomfortable and that they should tell a trusted adult as soon as possible.
This can lead to some slightly embarrassing situations, such as a child who then says they don’t want give a relative a hug or kiss! Work with your child to find ways to greet people that don’t involve uncomfortable kinds of touch.
Talking openly about sexuality and sexual abuse also teaches children that these things don’t need to be “secret.” Abusers will sometimes tell a child that the abuse is a secret. Let your children know that if someone is touching them or talking to them in ways that make them uncomfortable that it shouldn’t stay a secret.
Make sure to tell your child that that they will not get into trouble if they tell you this kind of secret.

which is the aspect some of us have voiced focusing more on....

i think this info should be given at age appropriate times...

skin to skin snuggles at ages 3-4 should NOT red flag CPS! that seems so absurd to me. it really does. Its a sad world we are in. where a topic of love and snuggles with your child turns to "you may be reported to CPS" this quickly.

i can also promise you that I KNOW people who were taught all the things listed on these websites and went on to be abused- because physical abuse is also emotional... and no guideline or speech about your privates is going to protect a child from a manipulative person intent on harming them in a way that is seductive and slow going.

these are things to teach your kids so that they are confident and secure enough to SPEAK OUT about the abuse... in which case there are many ways to that end, i believe.

i think the only reason a naked PARENT cuddling with a small child would be wrong is if a child is uncomfortable and either
a. isnt empowered to ask the parent to stop- which IS abuse.
b. a child is empowered enough to ask the parent to stop and the parent DOESNT LISTEN- which IS ALSO clear abuse.

#114 of 120 Old 08-18-2010, 10:55 PM

I certainly absolutely 100% never, ever make my child touch or be touched by anyone she does not want to. I have bad memories of being made to hug Uncle Whoever as a child and I very explicitly respect their rights here. Both my children know the proper names of genitalia, etc. We have had all those conversations, too.

Quote:
kin to skin snuggles at ages 3-4 should NOT red flag CPS!
What I actually said is that sleeping naked with a child OVER 3-4 might cause SOME people to CALL CPS. I don't actually know what CPS would do with that info, but they are required to investigate. It's my understanding that having CPS called on you is not fun.

Also, I don't follow this:

"i think the only reason a naked PARENT cuddling with a small child would be wrong is if a child is uncomfortable and either
a. isnt empowered to ask the parent to stop- which IS abuse."

Huh? So not sufficiently (emotionally?) empowering a child is abuse?

#115 of 120 Old 08-18-2010, 11:10 PM

Quote:
So...here we are talking about how children are hungry for touch, and you are telling me that your child has been taught that anyone who touches her must ask for permission first? Am I understanding you correctly? Frankly I think there is a huge difference here. As far as I am concerned, adults who interact with my children have an implicit right to touch their arm, elbow, head, etc unless my child specifically says "Please don't touch me." She is 6 and she goes to school and classes (I am not one to never let my child out of my sight--most parents cannot do this) and it would be bizarre and impractical to teach her that no one can ever touch her without asking first. I can't imagine a child doing this anyway. I know there are schools where no one is ever supposed to hug anyone, etc but I find this bizarre and am very glad my kid does not go to one.

But these adults certainly do not have an implicit right to touch her genitals unless she says no. These are two different kinds of touch. I find this argument very disingenuous and impractical.
No one has the implicit right to touch my daughter. Ever. Just as she always has a right to say "stop" or pull away or extricate herself from the situation. The only exception to this is if they need to act in a way to save her life and she is not conscious or capable of consenting.

Saying that children feel a sense of wrongness when they experience abuse is not blaming the victim. Not even close. It is stating a fact. It is a fact I know all too well. As a PP said, the abuser knows very well how to exploit this and use it to his or her advantage. "It feels wrong, because it is and it's all your fault. If you tell anyone they will blame you and you'll be the one getting in trouble!" There are factors that increase the probability that a child who is experiencing abuse will say something, open dialog about sex and their body, and knowing that no-one has the implicit right to touch them. True that it can only do so much, but it's a hell of a lot better than a child being told they can say "no" but not having that acknowledged by the most trusted adults in their life.

#116 of 120 Old 08-18-2010, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Also, I don't follow this:

"i think the only reason a naked PARENT cuddling with a small child would be wrong is if a child is uncomfortable and either
a. isnt empowered to ask the parent to stop- which IS abuse."

Huh? So not sufficiently (emotionally?) empowering a child is abuse?
I believe the PP means the parents never discussed the fact that their child could say no in order to continue cuddling with a child who is uncomfortable with the naked aspect of it is abuse.

Another thing I have heard from abuse survivors. They were allowed to say "no" to other adults, but were taught that they weren't allowed to say "no" to one or both of their parents.

#117 of 120 Old 08-18-2010, 11:27 PM

No, not sufficiently empowering a child is unfortunate... Not emotionally empowering a child and them crossing the boundaries of the child with zero concern or regard to their state of comfort IS, at the very least, inappropriate and could most definitely be considered abusive.

For example- a child asks to wear pajamas repeatedly and the parent says,"no. Naked is better! It's nice! Come on!"
that I could see bein creepy/innapropriate.

#118 of 120 Old 08-19-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
No one has the implicit right to touch my daughter. Ever.
Just trying to understand here--so, if a ballet teacher touches your DD in ballet class without explicitly asking first, you consider this a violation?

Your DD has been taught to do what in this situation?

If what you are trying to say is that your daughter has the right to revoke anyone's permission to touch her, then of course I agree. If you believe no other adult, in a professional capacity, should ever touch your child without first asking consent, then that's pretty weird to me.

I feel like I am being painted as the overcautious one in this discussion, but it is this attitude that strikes me as overkill.

#119 of 120 Old 08-19-2010, 05:55 PM

There is more than one way to give permission. She also has the ability to move out of the way of someones touch, tell them to stop, etc.

I don't think it's over kill to tell my daughter that no one has the right to touch her. Being able to touch other people is never a right. I don't have the right to touch DH and I'm married to him. Heck I don't even consider myself has having a right to touch DS. If I go to pick him up and he says "no", I don't do it.

Touch is not a right and should never be considered one.

Or maybe it would make far more sense if I say touching is a privilege.

We may have a different idea of what a right it though. The definition I have is an entitlement against other people. No one should feel they are entitled to touch other people.

FTR DD generally doesn't take classes if she knows someone would randomly come up to her and touch her because she just doesn't like it when that happens, even though she is very much a physical person.

#120 of 120 Old 08-26-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamomile Girl View Post
I don't know why remembering one's dad naked would even be an issue. In fact I find some of the condemnation on this thread rather perplexing. Naked should not be sexualizing by default, and I think that is why some folks have a problem with sharing nakedness with children.
I agree with this, although I don't have any experience with it, as my family was not a naked family while I was growing up, and I don't have kids yet. But I feel that plenty of sex happens when people are wearing clothes, and I spend plenty of time naked without having sex, so I don't think the two are necessarily related. I hope to have confident children one day who are not unneccesarily embarrassed about their bodies.

Married to my sweetie and enjoying life with our fabulous dog.  Expecting #1 in August 2012!!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page