How old is too old for skin-to-skin? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 120 Old 08-08-2010, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It never occurred to me that there was an age cut off for skin-to-skin, but I got an odd comment about it from my sister and wondered what the rest of the world thinks. Is there a day when you as a parent decide cuddle time can no longer be skin-to-skin time?
#2 of 120 Old 08-08-2010, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I never cuddled my dd naked because I never felt that it was appropriate. She was sometimes only in a diaper when she nursed, or later naked because she stripped her pj's off at night but it was never something that both of us were at the same time. I am not that concerned about casual nudity or her seeing me naked while I am showering or dressing but I don't think naked cuddling is appropriate. Some of that is because I had my boundaries seriously violated as a child. If you make it work for you then that is a family choice, in my family it isn't going to happen.
#3 of 120 Old 08-08-2010, 01:00 PM

I have never thought about it. My kids were all born in the winter so I think there wasn't nearly as much skin to skin and in the summer. We are at the beach and my 8 month old is getting lots of skin to skin because she's in a diaper a lot and I'm in my swimsuit. When I nurse her my top is basically off. I don't think there would be an inappropriate way to have skin-to-skin.

I don't do skin-to-skin on purpose but not because I find it wrong, it's just not what I like anyway.

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
#4 of 120 Old 08-08-2010, 01:02 PM

Nakedness is just another state of being in my house. So my kiddos get hugs and snuggles when mommy is naked sometimes and when they are naked. When One or both of us (individual children) no longer feel comfortable it won't happen. I don't normally tend to ask for cuddles when I'm naked, but the kiddos like to hop in bed with us in the morning and we don't wear clothes to bed. Its all about everyone comfort level. I want my kiddos to understand that being naked isn't a taboo issue.

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

#5 of 120 Old 08-08-2010, 01:26 PM

We did some skin to skin cuddling when they were tiny newborns, but after that it doesn't seem very practical to strip off my shirt and their clothes every time they get upset. I'd rather skip to the cuddling and comforting part. The WHO has identified between 20 and 40 benefits of skin to skin contact (the range is because some results are not statistically significant in research, but they still consider them), but it's unclear to me that any of them transfer or are applicable to older babies, let alone toddlers or older children. They are things like temperature regulation, stimulating breastfeeding, and providing comfort to babies who can't see or localize touch.

Trying to live a simple life in a messy house in a complicated world with : DH, DD (b. 07/07), DS (b. 02/09), and DD (b. 10/10)
#6 of 120 Old 08-08-2010, 01:33 PM

When someone starts feeling uncomfortable with it.

For some this means, never. Others will be years later.
#7 of 120 Old 08-08-2010, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
we are a naked family. its dd and me. and we mostly cosleep naked. no one is going to tell me what i should or should not do in my house.

now that's just how it is. doesnt mean we are going for skin to skin time. i mean dd was born in summer and i leaked so much that the first couple fo months i just walked around at home topless because it was useless having to do so much laundry.

dd and i took showers and bath together till she could manage at 5. even now sometimes she invites me to have one with her because we always have so much fun together.

so i would do what is comfortable for you all.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#8 of 120 Old 08-08-2010, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meemee View Post
we are a naked family. its dd and me. and we mostly cosleep naked. no one is going to tell me what i should or should not do in my house.
now that's just how it is. doesnt mean we are going for skin to skin time. i mean dd was born in summer and i leaked so much that the first couple fo months i just walked around at home topless because it was useless having to do so much laundry.

dd and i took showers and bath together till she could manage at 5. even now sometimes she invites me to have one with her because we always have so much fun together.

so i would do what is comfortable for you all.
I would be careful what you put out there on the internet because this statement isn't necessarily true. You are sleeping naked with an 8 year old? I think many people would consider that worthy of looking into. Not saying whether or not I agree but I am a social work student going into the field of child abuse and I can guarantee you it would not be seen as okay.

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
#9 of 120 Old 08-09-2010, 02:57 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
WOAH?!!!! really?!!!!

what about nudist camps? what about places like Burning Man?

what about nudist vacations that are the rage now?

if dd and i went on a nude vacation where we walked nude on the beach like everyone else - that could get a call from CPS?!!!!

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#10 of 120 Old 08-09-2010, 07:34 AM

I am not a naked person....I like having clothes on.
That said....my son's favourite request from me is a "tummy hug". Whenever he sees me changing or when he takes his top off he always asks for one. This is skin-to-skin warm tummy hugs. I see no issue with it...I know one day he will no longer ask for one....but for now I will continue with them.

PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Sadly, Jan 21, 2011  m/c 6w5d  angel.gif
#11 of 120 Old 08-09-2010, 08:53 AM

My guys are really on the go so cuddling is not a huge option unless I'm sitting watching a movie with them. They too were both born in the fall/winter so skin to skin other than a diaper while we were nursing wasn't readily available.

That said, they do love backrubs which is always skin to skin, especially my youngest who needs one to calm down when he's agitated.

Don't trust anyone under 5! Mom to 3 boys under 5. Blogging to save my sanity.
#12 of 120 Old 08-09-2010, 09:25 AM

I stop sleeping topless when I wean (22mos and 20 mos). My son is 4 and I just started to feel self conscious getting changed in front of him. I'll change quickly but that's where it ends, now.

Sleeping naked with an 8 year old is well outside of my comfort zone.

DS (6.06), DD (10.08), DD (05.11).

#13 of 120 Old 08-09-2010, 11:21 AM

I will still hug my 2yo if he happens to be naked, but I don't like, get naked and get him naked and cuddle! I also don't hang around the house naked myself, so it just doesn't come up.

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

#14 of 120 Old 08-09-2010, 11:23 AM

Also, in terms of sleeping naked with an older child, I would want to consider whether the memory of that was going to be embarrassing to my child at a later date.

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

#15 of 120 Old 08-09-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loraxc View Post
Also, in terms of sleeping naked with an older child, I would want to consider whether the memory of that was going to be embarrassing to my child at a later date.
That. I'm so glad I don't have any memories of my dad naked.
#16 of 120 Old 08-09-2010, 12:01 PM

I echo the sentiment that it is when either party starts feeling uncomfortable, it is time to cover up. Skin to skin can still be holding hands or snuggling into the crook of your neck or playing footsies while you watch a movie. My big kids still do those things, and my youngest (ds is 9 yo) still snuffles into my armpit when he wakes up too early and we both want to doze.

However, if I "accused" him of snuffling in my armpit, or if I asked the big kids to play footsies, they'd be mortified and they'd never do it again.
#17 of 120 Old 08-09-2010, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nextcommercial View Post
That memory doesn't bother me.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#18 of 120 Old 08-09-2010, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
my 8yo would probably love to snuggle up with my boobs, my 15yo would not.

nudity is no big deal to me, but my kids are much more modest. ds1 and i have not been naked around each other in YEARS. ds2 says he doesnt want to be seen unclothed but he puts his dirty clothes in the hamper in my room and then runs across the house to his bathroom to shower. if he really cared, he'd get undressed in the bathroom and then put on clean clothes and then go put his dirty stuff away.

also, i sleep naked, and if ds2 wakes up from a bad dream, he come into my bed. he could care less about me being naked, but if i sense him getting in the bed, i reach down to the floor and pull on some clothes. i'm not uncomfortable myself, but i just know ds will say something to my ex and that will start something i dont really need to deal with in my already hectic life, yk?

Bring back the old MDC
#19 of 120 Old 08-09-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evermom View Post
That memory doesn't bother me.
THANK you! Same here. I don't know why remembering one's dad naked would even be an issue. In fact I find some of the condemnation on this thread rather perplexing. Naked should not be sexualizing by default, and I think that is why some folks have a problem with sharing nakedness with children.

Naked can just be naked, and skin to skin contact with children is a loving thing.
#20 of 120 Old 08-09-2010, 02:46 PM

would skin-to-skin time have to be naked, anyhow? I consider it skin to skin if my DD is in just a diaper and I have my shirt off. That happens pretty frequently (but she's only four months old, and sometimes taking my shirt off is easier than leaving it on when she's having a really nursy day.)

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#21 of 120 Old 08-09-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
WOAH?!!!! really?!!!!

if dd and i went on a nude vacation where we walked nude on the beach like everyone else - that could get a call from CPS?!!!!
It's about how it sounds to people outside your home. You do need to be careful what you post on the internet, you never know how a stranger might take it.
#22 of 120 Old 08-09-2010, 06:47 PM

I would say after weaning, which for me is 2-3 years.

but I completely understand other people having different opinions.

Wife to J. Mama to DD(3yo) & DS(1yo)
#23 of 120 Old 08-09-2010, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSerene View Post
wondered what the rest of the world thinks.
I'd just like to point out that we aren't the rest of the world. We are the people who choose to spend our time on a natural parenting site. We aren't very representative of the world. People you meet IRL may be much more representative of the world (or at least the part of it in which you live.)

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#24 of 120 Old 08-09-2010, 06:54 PM

If either person is uncomfortable, particularly the child, the child is too old.

As dd gets older, I'm expecting that skin-to-skin will continue, but with less nekkie baby butt.

ETA:
As for my own comfort, skin-to-skin will stop if she's weaned and still tries to twiddle a nipple.
I will also make sure to always cover up the affected area if she ever moves to twiddling anywhere else, e.g. private parts, because that'd just squick me out.
#25 of 120 Old 08-10-2010, 06:34 AM

Quote:
WOAH?!!!! really?!!!!

Ummm... walking on the beach nude is VEEEEERY different than snuggling together naked in bed. It sounds as it sounds and yes, I would not be surprised if someone IRL called CPS if they knew you not just co-sleep naked, but spend the night with lots of skin contact.

Yes, 8 is WAY outside my radar and comfort zone (my dd is 8). Purposeful skin-to-skin contact ended when dd was getting really mobile. She was seeking other sensory feedback at this stage and wanting to explore her world. I think over the first few months, the skin-to-skin connection to the womb is needed less and less. Until she weaned, I didn't have a problem nursing dd without her shirt on (so of course there was skin-to-skin contact), but I wouldn't take mine off. She night-weaned at about 16 mos. and I always wore a shirt to bed even when she was an infant. I don't like to sleep unclothed.
#26 of 120 Old 08-10-2010, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsupialmom View Post
When someone starts feeling uncomfortable with it.

For some this means, never. Others will be years later.
Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextcommercial View Post
I have one memory. That was me about age 8 going into my parents bathroom for something, which went by my dads closet. He was naked, getting a pair of underwear, and turned and SCREAMED, I mean really screamed like an enraged monster about to attack "Get the H*LL OUT OF HERE!" I was so scared I didn't see anything, and I was really confused for a long time why he would be so enraged. What could I have seen? His penis? So what? What is so special or unique, or good or bad, sexual or not, beautiful or dirty.... about that. I'm sure his is just like everyone else's penis. I think it affected me in the way I thought about it, and decided how everyone's body is actually quite normal, natural, and well, generic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestjob View Post
I echo the sentiment that it is when either party starts feeling uncomfortable, it is time to cover up. Skin to skin can still be holding hands or snuggling into the crook of your neck or playing footsies while you watch a movie. My big kids still do those things, and my youngest (ds is 9 yo) still snuffles into my armpit when he wakes up too early and we both want to doze.

However, if I "accused" him of snuffling in my armpit, or if I asked the big kids to play footsies, they'd be mortified and they'd never do it again.
I can so totally see this happening when my kids are older.
#27 of 120 Old 08-10-2010, 07:33 AM

Disclaimer *i'm in the UK and very northern European in my attitudes!*

I sleep naked or in underpants. So if DD1 gets in bed with me and DH (who also sleeps in underpants) and SHE is naked (which she often is because she won't stay dressed!) there will be skin to skin. I don't really think that's the same as us both stripping off purposefully to have skin to skin, but whatever.

I still bathe and shower with both DD's, so there is nudity and skin to skin there too.

Don't we all like skin to skin? I love to snuggle with my partner, or with my kids. My kids love to snuggle with me. Are humans supposed to get 6 months of skin-to-skin at the beginning of life and then starve for it until they're in a sexual relationship? That seems like a good way to make sexual contact before the person is really ready for it happen to me - i know a LOT of girls who had sex before they were really ready because the cuddling "made them feel loved". I think loving contact (nude or not) is a human need, and one which should be met by me until the child reaches a stage when they would rather it was met by someone else.

I have lots of memories of my dad, and some times, because he is a human being and didn't have clothes painted on, he was naked. I'm sure he remembers me naked, especially since he last saw me naked 9.5 weeks ago when he was with me while i had my baby. I remember my mother naked too, in good times (having a shower together when i was a kid) and bad (cleaning her up during her terminal illness when she was too ill to cope on her own). I think i'm actually glad to have seen her in those lights as well as the hundreds of lights i saw her in when she was dressed. I guess i just don't see the massive difference between a dressed parent and a naked one...?

Nudity isn't sex. I was sexually abused as a child for 7 years and some of the most frightening and haunting things which happened to me happened when me and my abuser were fully clothed. Malign contact can easily be achieved through clothes, just as benign contact can be achieved in any state of dress or undress.

No-one, especially the kids, should be doing anything they don't feel comfortable with, but equally i don't think i should have to curb my nudity around my kids because someone else somewhere else would feel uncomfortable about it.
#28 of 120 Old 08-10-2010, 01:16 PM

I think this is another one of those "to each their own" things. I noticed that the girls like to cuddle more when we're all in bathing suits and stuff. We all change in the same room.

Honestly? I remember what my parents look like naked and it doesn't bother me one bit. It was weird when I was smaller because I grew up in a very conservative area and ANYTHING about the body was pretty much off-limits. Now that I have a more balanced view? Not a problem.

In the future, I plan on having lots of skin-to-skin with my own children. I also plan on showering together, changing together, etc. because I really do believe that that is the BEST way to show our sons and daughters what a real body looks like. I also think that is will show them that bodies are ok and not something to be ashamed of, ykwim?

Kris violin.gif: in love with J shine.gif, "auntie" to W (6yrs) sleepytime.gif  and Z (4yrs) blowkiss.gif and "mommy" to Katie goldfish.gif

→Waiting to start our own little family after college and marriage←

Back to school May 2013!

Someday it will be my turn: h20homebirth.giffemalesling.GIFnak.gifnocirc.gifcd.gif

#29 of 120 Old 08-10-2010, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamomile Girl View Post
THANK you! Same here. I don't know why remembering one's dad naked would even be an issue. .
You really can't imagine that some people have certain dynamics in their family that would make that an issue? Wow. Then you are very lucky, in my opinion. I'm not even comfortable walking around in a bathing suit around my Dad. And I was not sexually abused by him.

Anyway, we are ridiculous cuddlers in my little family but haven't done skin-skin since nursing I suppose. Now that ds is 6, I am back to feeling that my breasts are private areas and don't feel comfortable with it. He WILL touch my nipples when given the opportunity.
#30 of 120 Old 08-10-2010, 10:46 PM

skin is skin regardless of how much is shown.

here.. we DH and I sleep in undies, all four of my kids end up in bed at some point with us. DD12 DS9 DD6 DD20months.
Now when my DS lays down with me at night (sometimes we read in bed next to each other) I wear a tanktop. He is 9 and sees my boobs enough through out the day with an adventurous nurser around. But if he crawls in bed with me at night and the tank is off it almost always stays off.
He use to only open up to me if I was in the shower/bath or getting dressed. HE needed my full attention and He got it then. I even talk with a therapist friend about it (i thought it was odd) and she said he will stop when he is ready. And he did.
Now only my oldest DD12, will not walk around in her undies, but she is getting her own set of boobs and is slowly becoming more private and that is fine. She does ask her stepdad my DH to take her bra shopping though ( i think it is because he will just buy what ever she wants so he can get out of there).

I grew up in a very open house and walking around in undies was nothing but normal. Little nudies running around was ok, and if there were people over or other family parts were covered.

Bodies are ok and if sleeping nude and airing out parts (what my DD6 says she does with no undies in bed) is your thing, and it has always been your thing that is it ok. IF it is a NEW thing..that is different......

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page