Symptoms of Anxiety? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-09-2010, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Over the past year, my now 6-yo DD has exhibited signs of stress and anxiety. The most prominent symptom was an excessive "need" to pee at night. It started as a physical problem - her labia were irritated last summer from too much sand/sea/pool. But even after her physical outward symptoms resolved, we found that her repeated need to get up at night for a trip to the bathroom was related to stress. She had started Kindergarten and was not used to the group dynamics and felt "left out" by her peers at times. She loves her friends and classmates and her teachers all say she is well-liked by her peers and is an exemplary friend. However, this summer her problems have become worse. She is anxious about going to bed because she has to pee too much at night, she feels itchy all over as soon as she goes to bed and worries about coughing at night. She is anticipating bedtime far ahead and getting anxious. She wants to be someone else - kids she sees in a yoga video or even mommy - just so she does not have these "problems" at night.

We cuddle and talk, but we really don't know what to do at this point. I am thinking perhaps some homeopathy or flower remedies might help along with some guided relaxation in the evenings. Any thoughts, wise mammas?
#2 of 4 Old 08-10-2010, 09:36 AM

Can you sleep with her?
Hopefully its just a phase.
My DD had anxiety for about a month after she had pink eye.
She was terrified that her eyes were going to seal shut again.
#3 of 4 Old 08-10-2010, 01:42 PM

Actually this sounds like a food intolerance reaction to me. Symptoms vary from person to person, but these are similar to the symptoms my dd gets from soy products (including trace soy, ie, vitamin e derived from soy even!). There is great subforum for Allergies/Intolerances in Health and Healing if you need elimination diet help.

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
#4 of 4 Old 08-10-2010, 06:44 PM

I highly recommend Lori Lite's Indigo Dreams CD's and books. http://www.stressfreekids.com/

We had some local moms start up anxiety help groups for kids after working with their children through anxiety. We took one of their classes and one of the inclusions was one of Lori's CD's, which were wonderful to listen to at night and also for starting discussions of anxiety with our daughter.

I was off to save the world, but I got distracted by something shiny.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page