Should we give our son used toys for Christmas? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 08-27-2010, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our son has a lot of toys such as lincoln logs and blocks that have come from my honeys childhood collection. Pretty soon he should be able to play with the rest of his stash and I'm just wondering whether to save for Christmas, or just let him have it whenever the time comes. My sister says that it's "mean" and kids should only get new toys for Christmas. What do you think?

We have 6 rubbermaids of
- legos (4 rubbermaids full of train set, misc. sets, and tons of blocks)
- metal john deer tractors and farming equiptment
- crash dummies
- cowboys and indians (he wants to give, I don't)

Ma (26) to a happy boy 04.07 and due with another 01.11 ~ finally marrying my HS sweetie 02.12!
#2 of 30 Old 08-27-2010, 07:57 PM

Hey, they are new-to-him toys. My kids are getting used toys, I see no problem with it.

Mom to DS1, DS2, DD1 and DD2! h20homebirth.gif
#3 of 30 Old 08-27-2010, 07:58 PM

I would. I'd clean if necessary and wrap it up nice of course. But yeah, to kids new cool toys are new cool toys. I don't think they care (unless they've been taught to care by someone).

My dd LOVES playing with the stuff that her dad and I did as kids.

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#4 of 30 Old 08-27-2010, 08:01 PM

I see no problem with used toys! They're often better than new ones!
#5 of 30 Old 08-27-2010, 09:54 PM

How old is your ds? I would assume if he's still fairly young, he wouldn't know the difference! I've given my ds (3) used toys lots of times. We don't have a lot of money, so usually we can give him a cooler toy if we buy them used than spend more money for less on new.

Student nurse Mamma to Kaylum (3/01/2007) and wife to computer nerd DH .

#6 of 30 Old 08-27-2010, 10:06 PM

Another vote for saving them until Christmas. My kids have always gotten gently used toys at the holidays, and they are perfectly happy with it. DD is too little to know or care, and DS is old enough to realize that the only way he's going to get the really expensive stuff that he wants is if we can find it cheaper b/c it's used.
#7 of 30 Old 08-27-2010, 10:06 PM

I'm with everyone else on this... I say go for it! We sometimes give used stuff to our kids on birthdays and Christmas. In fact in a couple of weeks dd will be getting a used bike for her 6th birthday. I'm 100% sure that she'll just be excited to get a "new" bike. She won't even give a thought to whether it's used or new.

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#8 of 30 Old 08-27-2010, 10:10 PM

I give my kids used toys as presents for b-days & Christmas.
#9 of 30 Old 08-27-2010, 10:19 PM

Yes - do used gifts as long as you can. Once they get older, I imagine they wouldn't be too into used stuff. But those toys sound great!!
#10 of 30 Old 08-27-2010, 10:37 PM

Definitely give them for Christmas! I think you will be teaching your child some important lessons - that used things can be just as fun as brand new ones, that items from his father's childhood are special and can help forge connections, and that not all the best things cost money. How sad that your sister has bought into the consumer notion of gift-giving.
We give lots of used gifts including toys for our son.
#11 of 30 Old 08-27-2010, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

Haha yeah little man is only 3 so he won't know the difference. I think we'll save for Christmas.

Ma (26) to a happy boy 04.07 and due with another 01.11 ~ finally marrying my HS sweetie 02.12!
#12 of 30 Old 08-27-2010, 10:41 PM

I have a big box of my old toys that I plan on doling out for Christmas and birthdays as they get older. They're mostly in really good shape. And the last thing we need around here is more clutter! Recently I cleaned out our storage area and put a bunch of other random things in the box, too: an old jewelry box that I never used that DD would love, for example.

And I'm definitely not a "no presents except on Christmas and birthday" mom. I'm just "overly practical" mom Why give them these things now and then have to go out and buy a whole new round of things in a few months?

Trying to live a simple life in a messy house in a complicated world with : DH, DD (b. 07/07), DS (b. 02/09), and DD (b. 10/10)
#13 of 30 Old 08-27-2010, 10:52 PM

At least 80% of our Christmas gifts have come from Ebay. Our kids don't seem to mind or even notice and they're 6 and 9. If it comes in a box with wrapping paper, they're happy.

It's environmentally friendly to reuse. If they're high quality toys, they'll last a long time. In fact, I just scored a big Playmobil hospital set for 1/2 price on Ebay. It's been on dd's list for a long time, and I wasn't willing to spend $160 on a new one. (Heck even the $75 I did spend on it feels like a lot!) Now I just have to hide it until Christmas.

ETA: Ds (9) just spend $4 of his own a used stuffed penguin. He needed a wife for Rockhopper, who is Empie's sister. Empie is married to Penguin and they have 3 children (Flappy, Humboldt and Jolly). Grandma and Grandpa penguin also live with the family, and they're all guarded by Mr. King. Given the fact that we already had 8 stuffed penguins, I wasn't about to shell out any money for more penguins, no matter how lonely Rockhopper was. Ds was very pleased to find a good used penguin from Goodwill. I suspect the rest of the extended family will come from there too (ds has already planned another grandma and grandpa, a sibling for Penguin and cousins!)

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#14 of 30 Old 08-28-2010, 06:26 AM

I would think from a kid's POV it would be *better* to get used instead of new. Remember getting a new toy and being impatient that you had to wait the whole 2 minutes to get it out of the dang packaging? Then your parents took time out of your busy new-toy schedule to clean up the packaging mess??
Another vote for waiting!
#15 of 30 Old 08-28-2010, 06:50 AM

For the past couples of Christmas' and his last birthday DS got Brio stuff (trains and construction) that I bought on ebay, plus some books picked up at the charity shop and a few new books. It's new to DS and that's all that matters.
#16 of 30 Old 08-28-2010, 06:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
omg... are you kidding me? you can only get new stuff at christmas?!?

that aside, i am getting so excited that my dd can start playing with little toys and blocks, legos and lincoln logs too. my mom saved a lot of our favorite toys

mama to one '07 and one '09
#17 of 30 Old 08-28-2010, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMommy2 View Post
Yes - do used gifts as long as you can. Once they get older, I imagine they wouldn't be too into used stuff. But those toys sound great!!
My 9 yo thinks used stuff is great because of the $ saved. But he does mind if things are dirty or damaged.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#18 of 30 Old 08-28-2010, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I gave my dd a used toy castle this year. She really wanted a castle and they are incredibly expensive, there was no way she was getting one new. I found one for $6 at the used store, cleaned it up really well and wrapped it. She loves it and didn't realize it was used.
#19 of 30 Old 08-28-2010, 01:28 PM
Banned

As long as the stuff is clean and in good working order, I think it's fine.

When my littles were really little, I actually used toys they already owned as stocking stuffers. We have lots of generous relatives who gave them lots of stuff, and it just made sense to me to throw some things in there that they had, but had completely forgotten about. If they had noticed I was prepared to say something about how nice it was of Santa to remember how much you liked that toy when you first got it, but they never did.
#20 of 30 Old 08-28-2010, 01:37 PM

We gave DD all of my old read-along books and cassettes this year for her 3rd birthday and she loves them! (Her favorites are Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back!) We even bought her a used cassette player at Goodwill.

I love giving her toys from our childhood. I agree with PP who said that it creates a connection between you and your children, and teaches them the value of reusing things.

SAHM to DD (6/07) and DS (10/09); happily married to DH since 2/04 .
#21 of 30 Old 08-28-2010, 11:09 PM

you're darned tootin' it's ok! I owned a resale shop for 6 years, so my kids don't expect anything else. We shop resale or freecycle for EVERYTHING first - before resorting to "new".

--janis

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#22 of 30 Old 08-29-2010, 11:11 PM

Quote:
It's environmentally friendly to reuse. If they're high quality toys, they'll last a long time.
#23 of 30 Old 09-04-2010, 08:41 AM

The way I see it, if you condition your children to expect that Christmas/Birthday= new/expensive, then thats what they want to see. If they know that gifts come in all manners of used/new/loved/homemade etc. then the expectations are open to be happy with an array of different things.

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

#24 of 30 Old 09-04-2010, 11:40 PM

The past few Christmases have definitely been a mix of Ebay, Craigslist and new for all three of my kids. So in principle I have no problem for clean, unbroken used toys!

In this case, I think you could go one step further and make it extra special by making it a gift from your husband to his son, special toys passed down. That is the best kind of present, imo.
#25 of 30 Old 10-10-2010, 03:05 PM

What is the penguin look like? I'm curious because my mother gave away a penguin to Goodwill...
#26 of 30 Old 10-10-2010, 03:14 PM

DS not only expects used things as gifts, he will very loudly shout out, "MAMA!!! TREASURES!!!" when he sees a free pile on the side of the road. He calls The Salvation Army thrift store, the "toy store" and he gets completely overwhelmed when we go into a regular Toys R Us type of store. I love that he is learning that used is the norm for us. He has so seldom received a toy in its original wrapping that I think he would be confused if he received one that way.

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#27 of 30 Old 10-10-2010, 04:58 PM

You can present them in a really special way. Make it magical!

I love cowboys and indians. I have a huge box of them mixed with old army men, and my daycare kids love those. The kids are older, but they can spend hours setting them up and playing.
#28 of 30 Old 10-10-2010, 05:41 PM

My kids get used toys (from Goodwill, from my mom's stash of my old toys, from relatives and friends) every Christmas. I don't know if they've noticed yet, but even if they did, I don't think they'd care.

Last year I found DS the most awesome set of oversized plastic dinosaurs, for $1. They're his favorite toy. He plays with them every.single.day.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#29 of 30 Old 10-10-2010, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinGirl View Post
What is the penguin look like? I'm curious because my mother gave away a penguin to Goodwill...
http://www.thejunglestore.com/Gift-C...y1LL!-27728836

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#30 of 30 Old 10-10-2010, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinGirl View Post
And I'm happy to report that all of dd's gifts this year will be used. She wanted a lot of playmobil and playmobil replacement parts.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page