Any suggestions for "safe" tea set for my DD's birthday?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 08-31-2010, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DD is turning 4 and would love a tea set. I am trying to see what options I have and what is safe/no toxin, lead, etc...

I have seen the wooden Plan one and the Green Toys set. They are both "safe" but she will not be able to actually drink/pour with them. (well, the wooden one for sure, but I"m not 100 percent sure about the Green toys set)

I see lots of TIN tea sets that look very cute and would be safe with our 22 mo DS around ! But I see no indication that they are safe. Schylling is one of the brands I keep finding. Anyone know anything about these? or others?

Thanks in advance !
#2 of 18 Old 08-31-2010, 09:50 PM

DS has the Green Toys tea set and you can use it to pour liquids and drink from the cups. He has had it since he was about 18 mons and he loves it.

Scarlett bfinfant.gif , DH Boris geek.gif , DS 1/29/08 Julian kid.gif DD2 6/7/12 babygirl.gif missing our DD 1/06/06 Sonja angel3.gif and MC @ 9 wks 11/18/06 Satchel  angel.gif

#3 of 18 Old 08-31-2010, 09:51 PM

We are enjoying a set from IKEA.

I'm wondering if it is considered "safe". It never occurred to me that it would not be. I'm curious to see what others have to say.

One happy momma joy.gif to a very spirited little girl dust.gif, her tough little brother superhero.gif, and a happy little suprise late April 2012 stork-suprise.gif. Wife to an overworked and under paid husband geek.gif.

#4 of 18 Old 08-31-2010, 09:54 PM

I wouldn't go with Schylling toys personally. In the past few years they have had quite a few recalls due to lead and when I purchased a toy from them that was made of plastic they wouldn't tell me if it was BPA free, just that it met the necessary standards

Like a pp we have this tea set from Green Toys:

http://greentoys.com/tea.html

It is made from recycled milk jugs and is BPA/pthalate free. It can be used for actual food and drink and is dishwasher safe. The only thing I don't like about it is that the tea pot is 2 seperate pieces that are screwed together. However, it doesn't leak and we have no problem pouring from it, but it does have a seam on the inside that could be tricky to clean if it wasn't washed right away.

HTH.
#5 of 18 Old 08-31-2010, 10:04 PM

We much prefer our Green toys one to the tin one we had previously (that one rusted, got bent out of shape, and was tiny. I think it was Schylling). The Green toys one works fabulously for real pouring!
-e

Momma to 8 y.o. DS and 5 y.o. DD. Married to a Maker!

#6 of 18 Old 08-31-2010, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaynesMom View Post

Like a pp we have this tea set from Green Toys:

http://greentoys.com/tea.html

It is made from recycled milk jugs and is BPA/pthalate free. It can be used for actual food and drink and is dishwasher safe. The only thing I don't like about it is that the tea pot is 2 seperate pieces that are screwed together. However, it doesn't leak and we have no problem pouring from it, but it does have a seam on the inside that could be tricky to clean if it wasn't washed right away.

HTH.
A friend of our has this, and we're totally getting it for DD's first birthday. Who cares if she'll be too young to "get" it- it's cooool and safe and adorable.

Doctors aren't out to kill you or your children. Childbirth isn't inherently safe. Science is actually smarter than your intuition. Lighten up. Use sunscreen.

#7 of 18 Old 08-31-2010, 10:26 PM

Babies get it. My little one (8 months old) plays tea all the time. It is really cute.

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

#8 of 18 Old 09-01-2010, 12:32 AM

DD1 had become obsessed with using water in her Plan Toys set & I didn't want to ruin it so I started researching one we could put liquids in...I wanted one of the Schylling ones so bad for DD (i think it was the bugs/butterfly one? it was soooo cute!) but I had read some bad stuff about them & decided not to take the chance.

We went with Green Toys & I am really happy with it. And now that she is handing stuff to her little sister, I am really glad because I know it's fine.

Incidentally, the Plan Toys stuff has held up despite being water-logged often.

Stephanie~hippie.gifwife to Dov, mama to Ella Irie (9/24/07) & Kaya Raine (2/1/10)~our vbac.gifbaby, born 45 hours after PROM!!!
#9 of 18 Old 09-01-2010, 12:46 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Green Toys is labeled food safe. Plan Toys is also food safe, but then you have wet wood. I like the ikea version, but it isn't labeled and I've read that most tea sets for children and NOT food safe.

I don't buy anything from Schyilling. Made in China and many, many lead recalls. Also, they are not food safe.
#10 of 18 Old 09-01-2010, 02:14 PM

Another vote for the Green toys set, we bought the cookware and dining set for Christmas when DD was 2 and she still loves it.

http://www.greentoys.com/cook.html

Mama to DD 4/06 notes2.gif  new DS stork-boy.gif born 17/12/10 familybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
#11 of 18 Old 09-01-2010, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

LOVE all the responses and hearing all of your experiences with the tea sets ! I think I am back down to the Green Toys and the Plan version. I actually kinda like the wooden one myself, but I am thinking that she is going to eventually want to put some actual liquids in there...so that might sway my decision.

For those of you who have the Ikea one, I LOVE THAT ONE ! and most of their stuff quite frankly. I thought that it would be a bit dangerous since it is breakable and she has a little brother. Also, wasn't sure about it's safety. I've bought a few other wooden type toys from them and love them. I wonder if anyone has contacted them to get any info. Perhaps I will post on the Safety board to see if anyone has any info !

I can't lie...I can't wait for them to be a little bigger so I can get her a "real" tea set - i.e. breakable...porcelain I guess. ???
#12 of 18 Old 09-01-2010, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbieB View Post
We are enjoying a set from IKEA.

I'm wondering if it is considered "safe". It never occurred to me that it would not be. I'm curious to see what others have to say.
abbie.....
would you recommend that set if we have a 2 y/o boy in the house too? or is it pretty fragile. i'm sure he will toss a cup or two??
#13 of 18 Old 09-01-2010, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrstene View Post
abbie.....
would you recommend that set if we have a 2 y/o boy in the house too? or is it pretty fragile. I'm sure he will toss a cup or two??
Yes. I have a 6 year old and a 2 year old. My 2 year old DS loves to play tea all the time! We've had our set since Christmas and nothing has broken or chiped...yet.

My experience with porcelain tea sets has been that when they break or chip it's because someone tossed it into the toy bucket or empty tub. Even then the chips have not been scary sharp.

IKEA also has plastic cups and goblets that look like glass. We have that set in with the tea set because DD likes to drink from her "tiny wine glass" and clink the cup for a toast.

One happy momma joy.gif to a very spirited little girl dust.gif, her tough little brother superhero.gif, and a happy little suprise late April 2012 stork-suprise.gif. Wife to an overworked and under paid husband geek.gif.

#14 of 18 Old 09-01-2010, 07:51 PM

we have the green toys one too... they love playing with the set in the bath!

mama to one '07 and one '09
#15 of 18 Old 09-01-2010, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

Abbie...Thanks for responding. I actually checked again online, ikea, and it says "durable stoneware"...so maybe they are MORE sturdy than porcelain.

BUT, I also noticed...no teapot in the set ???

is that true?
#16 of 18 Old 09-02-2010, 12:13 AM

Another vote for the Green Toys tea set. DD has had hers 2+ years and still plays with it most days. Now she enjoys giving a cup to her brother since he can sort of hold one. It amuses her to no end to share her "tea" with him.

Lovin' my four-pack: M, S, a different M, and sleepytime.gif me.

#17 of 18 Old 09-02-2010, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly_mommy View Post
DS has the Green Toys tea set and you can use it to pour liquids and drink from the cups. He has had it since he was about 18 mons and he loves it.
I just bought my son this today...he is making tea as I type.

PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Sadly, Jan 21, 2011  m/c 6w5d  angel.gif
#18 of 18 Old 09-02-2010, 11:49 PM

DS has had the Green Toys set for a couple of years and he loves it.

The set from IKEA is cute, but I believe it's made in China. I don't know if that would be a factor for you.

Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page