How old do you read bedtime stories to your kids? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 37 Old 09-06-2010, 10:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just finished reading to my almost 12 y/0 before bed. It's lovely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 37 Old 09-07-2010, 12:27 AM

My 7.5yo DS is just starting to prefer reading to himself at bedtime. After hardly reading at all this summer (to himself, we always read to him) he got hooked by the last Harry Potter and wouldn't put it down. He's moved on to the Percy Jackson series and is really enjoying reading by himself. It's been gradual, at first I would read a bit to him, then he would read a bit to me, but then he started to prefer NOT reading aloud. We still ask every night if he wants us to read, but he often doesn't. So his dad or I bring OUR books and read in his bed side-by-side. This way, we are available if he has a question and still get to snuggle up for a bit before bed.
#33 of 37 Old 09-27-2010, 05:24 AM

The last book I remember my dad reading to me was "Watership Down". Definitely not a little kid book. I think I must have been at least 10 or 11. I always enjoyed our bedtime stories. We didn't live together, but whenever I would stay at his house he would read to me. I plan on reading to my children at bedtime (and whenever they want) as long as they will listen.

-chelsea dust.gif
#34 of 37 Old 09-27-2010, 05:38 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
We had family readalouds when the kids were well past 8 y.o. They are teens now and we don't read together anymore, but I think the problem isn't age really. We are all such voracious readers and impatient for "what happens next". We got to the point that when a book was started together, someone would pick it up on their own to read a few pages ahead - often finishing it on their own. I'm not interested in policing reading, so our readalouds fell by the wayside. Personally, I still enjoy listening to readalouds.
#35 of 37 Old 09-27-2010, 07:03 AM

I still read to my 8 year old, and it's something we both look forward to each night.

Since we homeschool, I try to focus more on quality literature for our read-alouds. We just finished the first Lemony Snicket, we're reading The Bridge to Terabithia now, and Where the Red Fern Grows is on deck. He also reads a 'fun' book of his choosing each night (currently an Indiana Jones reader) and listens to a book on tape after lights out.

As a bonus, I'm reading books that I missed out on as a kid - love that! I had never read the Little House series, but we read through them all last year and it's hard to say who enjoyed them more.
#36 of 37 Old 09-27-2010, 01:50 PM

My parents read to me a lot as a preschooler, but I'm sure that they stopped around the time I could to read myself. The last book I remember my mom reading to me was Anne of Green Gables when I was six. My grade two teacher read a lot of novels to the class, but from grade three on my teachers didn't read out loud regularly.

Like others here, I read chapter books to our girls (5 and 6) at bedtime, and I try to make it quality literature. I want to enjoy reading it myself and I cringe at Magic Treehouse and Rainbow Fairies. Our girls read those themselves.

I expect that we'll continue reading aloud as long as the kids want to listen. I often read aloud to DH.

I'm not under the impression that reading aloud is a common form of entertainment for many families though. To most people, when you outgrow Goodnight Moon you've outgrown bedtime stories.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!
#37 of 37 Old 09-27-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Marmalade View Post
My ds will be 8 soon and we still read nightly to him. I don't see us stopping anytime soon. He even listens to stories that we read to his younger siblings. After we read to him, he continues to read his own book in bed until lights out.
Exactly the same thing at our house with my soon-to-be 8 year old ds.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page