How big is your 4 year old girl? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-19-2010, 12:39 AM
ssh

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DD is almost 5 and is 44 inches tall, 50 lbs., size 1 shoe, and wears size 6 clothes. She's very energetic and fairly strong. Her doctor, a new one for us, didn't say anything about her size at her checkup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2010, 10:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
32 lbs, 38" and size 7-8 shoe. She's 4 years and 2 months.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:03 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
3.5 dd is 45lbs and 42". dh is 6'3" so I'm sure she just takes after him.

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
Old 09-19-2010, 11:05 PM

OK, my TWO year old is 37lbs and 37.5". She was 2 in May. The ped isn't concerned, given her height - her brothers are also big kids but very proportional. If your kid was at 90% in weight but only 10% in height, sure, there might be a problem, but as mentioned above, you have to look at both percentiles. I'm very tall and of COURSE my weight would be overweight for a woman 5'0" - but I'm 5'10 and that's what they need to use to calculate proportionality.

Further, at 4, my 2 boys had not completely gotten rid of their toddler chub - at 5 and 6 they have really leaned out. That may be something to consider...but as long as she's eating a healthy diet, I wouldn't put too much stock in any dire predictions about her weight.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:09 PM

Wow, I stumbled across this post accidentally but it's a topic that's been on my mind for the past week. My DD will be 4 next week and was recently at the ped. She's 42 inches but only 32 lbs. Last year when she turned 3 she was actually 33 lbs - she lost a lb this year! The ped. was a little shocked because she has been dropping in percentiles for weight ever since she was 1 (and in the 100% for weight - she was a butterball of a breastfed baby . He wants to do a follow up in a month and see if she's maintained or gained with some butter and whole milk in her diet and then refer us to a dietician. I'm pretty frustrated about the whole thing because she is tall and thin - like me. She looks great and seems pretty on-par with most of her friends. We eat a VERY healthy diet and my son is casein-free so we don't eat a lot of milk-fat-rich foods. I'm very torn as to whether I should add milk-fat in her food (butter on every veggie and 16 oz. a day of whole milk is what the ped. said) - I don't think it's a particularly healthy way to gain weight. Thoughts?
Old 09-19-2010, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missnoodlesmom View Post
Wow, I stumbled across this post accidentally but it's a topic that's been on my mind for the past week. My DD will be 4 next week and was recently at the ped. She's 42 inches but only 32 lbs. Last year when she turned 3 she was actually 33 lbs - she lost a lb this year! The ped. was a little shocked because she has been dropping in percentiles for weight ever since she was 1 (and in the 100% for weight - she was a butterball of a breastfed baby . He wants to do a follow up in a month and see if she's maintained or gained with some butter and whole milk in her diet and then refer us to a dietician. I'm pretty frustrated about the whole thing because she is tall and thin - like me. She looks great and seems pretty on-par with most of her friends. We eat a VERY healthy diet and my son is casein-free so we don't eat a lot of milk-fat-rich foods. I'm very torn as to whether I should add milk-fat in her food (butter on every veggie and 16 oz. a day of whole milk is what the ped. said) - I don't think it's a particularly healthy way to gain weight. Thoughts?

You could try healthier fats like avocado, nuts and nut butter, sunflower seeds and sunbutter, healthy salad dressings or dips, and so on...and a little butter on her veggies won't hurt of course. In fact I'm certain I remember reading that a little fat helps the body use the nutrients in salads and fruit/veg better, but it doesn't have to be butter.

GL!
Old 09-19-2010, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Em~ View Post
You could try healthier fats like avocado, nuts and nut butter, sunflower seeds and sunbutter, healthy salad dressings or dips, and so on...and a little butter on her veggies won't hurt of course. In fact I'm certain I remember reading that a little fat helps the body use the nutrients in salads and fruit/veg better, but it doesn't have to be butter.

GL!
We do all this already - that's why the ped. wants us to do the whole-milk-fat products.....she really does eat a super healthy diet. Her younger brother (28 months) is actually 38 lbs. and 38 inches - so he's gaining like a mad man on the diet. I guess we should probably see a dietician since she's lost weight. This topic makes me beyond anxious for some reason - I just don't want to deal with weight issues with a 4 y/o - girls have to deal with that their whole lives, I wanted to shelter her from hearing that she didn't weigh enough/weighed too much....sigh....

User Tag List