How big is your 4 year old girl? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-14-2010, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DD is 40lbs and 40 inches, I was told that makes her in the 92nd percentile and that it makes her BMI a 17.3, which makes her overweight. I personally find that to be a bunch of crap, but whatever. She has always been taller and bigger than most kids her age. She wears a size 4t-5t, or a girls size xs.

I'm just curious what size other other girls her age are.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2010, 09:55 PM

My daughter is 4.5 (born in February) and she is 45 lbs and 43" tall, she wears a size 6/7 (the 5's are too short) and a size 11 shoe. The ped. hasn't said anything about her height/weight as she has consistently been at the top of the chart. She is also bigger/taller than most of the kids her own age.

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

Old 09-14-2010, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyterae View Post
My daughter is 4.5 (born in February) and she is 45 lbs and 43" tall, she wears a size 6/7 (the 5's are too short) and a size 11 shoe. The ped. hasn't said anything about her height/weight as she has consistently been at the top of the chart. She is also bigger/taller than most of the kids her own age.
Ditto for my kid, except her bday is in January and her shoe size is a 12.

Gazing furtively at you from under my siggie!
Old 09-14-2010, 10:17 PM

My twin girls were 43 lb and 44" and 41lb and 42.5" at their 4 year check up. And they have a friend 3 mo older who makes them look small. These girls are all at the very high end of the charts but none of them are overweight, you can tell by looking and the peds think they're strong and healthy.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:33 PM

My daughter is 3 years, 10 months. She's ~40" tall and ~35 pounds, and wears a size 10 shoe.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:24 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Kids aren't overweight until they go off of the weight chart, and even then you have to look at the weight and height together not just the one thing. If she is in the 90th percentiles they may tell you she is at risk of being overweight, but that isn't the same as being overweight and it is still important to look at where she is in height. They are also only estimate BMI, not doing the actual tests for it so even if she is at risk you should also look at her activity level and what she eats before being at all concerned. It may be that they charted her incorrectly also. This has happened twice at my dd's office and it put her way above where she should have been. Luckily our doctor caught it both times and said she would speak to the nurse who charted it. The numbers are so close and the lines are so cloes that you have to be careful when you are plotting numbers.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norasmomma View Post
My DD is 40lbs and 40 inches, I was told that makes her in the 92nd percentile and that it makes her BMI a 17.3, which makes her overweight. I personally find that to be a bunch of crap, but whatever. She has always been taller and bigger than most kids her age. She wears a size 4t-5t, or a girls size xs.

That BMI stuff is crap and even moreso with children.

My oldest daughter at four was 38 pounds and 40 inches tall. My other daughter was 36 pounds and 38 inches tall at four year exam.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

Old 09-15-2010, 12:01 PM

That doesn't sound right. My 4 yo dd is teeny tiny, maybe 32-35 lbs and 39"? Pretty much the smallest child I know for her age. Most of her peers in playgroup or classes are a head above her. She fits in 4t by length but that's mostly saggy in the butt.

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
Old 09-15-2010, 12:14 PM

Your numbers sounded weird to me because I remember my own DD being approximately 40 pounds and 40 inches for a while and she has never been considered overweight or at risk for it. When I thought about it more, I realized she was more like 5 when she was this height/weight. Sure enough, when I entered the numbers on a BMI calculator, 40/40 is "overweight" for a 4yo but "healthy weight" for a 5yo. This makes no sense to me. Your daughter's height for weight seems to be totally fine--she is just tall for her age.

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

Old 09-15-2010, 12:48 PM

At last check, my DD was 40lbs and 40 inches tall but we both think she may be a little bigger now. She wears mostly size 5 but sometimes 6 clothes (but 6pants are a little long) and 12 to 13 shoe depending. She's not overweight at all, just tall and solid and definitely bigger than kids her age and many 5 year olds.

Mama to DD 4/06 notes2.gif  new DS stork-boy.gif born 17/12/10 familybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
Old 09-15-2010, 12:49 PM

my dd is 44inches and 43lbs. she wears an 11 (US 12) shoe. our dr says she is a tall, strong, healthy kid.

nak
Old 09-15-2010, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Purity♥Lake~ View Post
That BMI stuff is crap and even moreso with children.
I agree 100%, that's why I was asking other moms how big their girls were. It wasn't her ped who measured her it was at WIC, I'm annoyed because they make it out like she's overweight, which I know for a fact she's not. The whole new BMI for a child is completely ridiculous. Her diet consists of regular healthy food, sure she a cookie here and there, but really she eats a normal varied diet. She also has a very high activity rate and is just bigger than most girls her age(which if you look at her chart, she always has been). It might be alarming IF she had a sudden weight gain, but the the girl has always been on the top of the chart. Plus it's not like she'll every be a skinny mini-DH and I both are the largest of our siblings, so obviously genetics is going to play a part.

Her ped thinks she's perfect, which of course I do too

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
Old 09-15-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
I agree 100%, that's why I was asking other moms how big their girls were. It wasn't her ped who measured her it was at WIC, I'm annoyed because they make it out like she's overweight, which I know for a fact she's not. The whole new BMI for a child is completely ridiculous. Her diet consists of regular healthy food, sure she a cookie here and there, but really she eats a normal varied diet. She also has a very high activity rate and is just bigger than most girls her age(which if you look at her chart, she always has been). It might be alarming IF she had a sudden weight gain, but the the girl has always been on the top of the chart. Plus it's not like she'll every be a skinny mini-DH and I both are the largest of our siblings, so obviously genetics is going to play a part.

Her ped thinks she's perfect, which of course I do too
WIC is a pain about that.. We were "required" to go to nutrition counseling when we were on WIC because she was consistently at the top of the charts and was "overweight".

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

Old 09-15-2010, 03:14 PM

DD will be 4 in about 2 weeks. At her yearly appointment about a month ago, she was a little over 42 inches and 39 lbs. I am guessing she is probably 40 pounds by now. She wears a 10.5/11 shoe! Perfectly healthy, albeit a tall little girl!

Tracy

2 Rainbow babes, PPH/Hysterectomy survivor!
Old 09-15-2010, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
My DD is 3 years and 10 months. She is 42 inches tall and 41.5 lbs. I think these are proportionate, i.e., the height percentile matches the weight, which I think is what matters. I don't do BMI because she's all muscle and BMI's don't control for what of the weight is muscle and what's fat.

But at her 3 year WCV her weight was a higher percentile than her height and I asked the ped if we should be concerned. My ped said there's no need for concern as long as she eats well and gets exercise. If her weight was high because she was sitting in front of the TV all day long eating potato chips, then she'd worry. But her lifestyle is healthy so her high weight is her normal growth pattern.

Mom to DD 8 and DS 6.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:14 PM

My just-turned 5YO is 42" (just made the cutoff for disney rides this summer) and 35 lbs. She's considered pretty skinny.

I agree with the PP who thinks it seems fishy that 40/40 is OK for one age but not for another. That's just weird. If 40 lbs is a healthy weight at 40", then that's what it is. Why would age have anything to do with it? (I can see saying "Oh, she's tall for her age" but that's a different story.)

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:20 PM

At 4 my daughter was 34 pounds & 40 inches, both of which were 50%.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:40 PM

at 4 my twins were

40 in 32 lbs

41.5 in 36 lbs

Both are considered average height per pedi & slender- my 32lber is skinny even.

They wore 4T and sizes 9.5 & 11 shoes.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:01 AM

Quote:
My DD is 40lbs and 40 inches, I was told that makes her in the 92nd percentile and that it makes her BMI a 17.3, which makes her overweight. I personally find that to be a bunch of crap, but whatever.
Get used to it. You will get that lecture every time if your kid is off the charts for height and weight, because the computer tells them to.

My DD has always been beyond the 97th percentile for height, and ranged between 88 - 97th for weight. Right now she is 8 years old and 5' tall and 77 lbs.

I don't remember what her height was at 4, but she was already in size 6x for length (have always had to take in the waist of her pants, she outgrows the length while never growing into the width. At that time, I was told she off the charts for height, had fallen to 88 percentile for weight (she'd always been at 90 - 95 before) and was told in front of her that she was overweight. My girl whom I was having to ALTER her pants so that they would fit around her middle because she was so skinny (but muscular, so she was a lot denser for her width). Believe it or not, I was told by the doctor that for calculating kids' BMI they only pay attention to weight. Sigh.

Then all the way home DD was asking why the doctor thought she was overweight, did that mean that she was too big. GRRRRRRR!

Numbers sometimes replace common sense at well child visits. I think the main thing to track is a precipitous fall or gain in weight alone. I do think though that if you have a loudmouthed, insensitive doctor who's going to make comments like that, you may need to ask them to refrain from doing so if you've got a precocious kid or by the time she is 6, kids are already getting pounded by "fat" messages at that age, the last thing I needed was to have some clueless doctor meaninglessly babbling at me from the computer printout without respecting what my kid was absorbing.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:18 AM

I've got a peanut, she's 4.5 and is 36 lbs and 39ish inches.

Mom to Morgan 4-3-06 and announcing Baby Kelsey 4-11-10
Old 09-16-2010, 12:57 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have a tall one too: age 4.75, height 44", weight 46 lbs

She has also always been on the top of the charts for both height and weight. She's one big muscle, though. Not an ounce of flab on her.

Allison:  a little bit Waldorf, a little bit Medievalish, and always"MOMMMMYYYY!" to sweet Cecily since 12.22.05
Old 09-16-2010, 04:12 PM

I have a very tiny one. She's about 29 pounds, and 39#. She is VEEEERY active (ugh) and eats very well. Of course we get the "she needs to eat more, you need to supplement her" crap. Nope, she is perfectly happy

Busy Mama to three beautiful girls and loving wife to my hubby
Old 09-16-2010, 09:03 PM

My 3 1/2 year old is the same size as the OPs. Shes a big girl, much taller and bigger than most kids i know her age. She is very very active and eats reasonably well. She just a big kid.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
Old 09-17-2010, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deditus View Post
That doesn't sound right. My 4 yo dd is teeny tiny, maybe 32-35 lbs and 39"? Pretty much the smallest child I know for her age. Most of her peers in playgroup or classes are a head above her. She fits in 4t by length but that's mostly saggy in the butt.
DD just turned 5, and was 39.5 inches and 32 lb at her checkup. At 4, she was 29 lb and about 36-37 inches. She now wears size 4 clothes, and size 9 shoes are a bit big. Definitely the smallest in her K class, and we know some 3 year olds her size.

I think DS was about 38 inches and 35-36 lb at 4. Your child sounds just right to me.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jill stillheart.gif Chris (7/96), mommy to 3 sweet redheads: jumpers.gif Matthew autismribbon.gif (12/02), Michelle (8/05) and Marissa (1/10). Nursing since 2002.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:05 PM

Quote:

That is crazy! My daughter is 43 lbs, 42" tall, and not yet 4. She is also extremely athletic. What are you supposed to do, put your kid on a diet? They are GROWING.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:30 PM

I also have a tiny 4.5 year old weighing 29 pounds and measuring just under 39 inches. She wears 3T pants, 4T tops and a size 8 shoe. We get fussed at about her size too. She eats great and is happy & as healthy as can be. I'd say most of her friends are weighing in around the low 40's, and measure between 40 and 42 inches. There is no way any of them are overweight.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My DD is 4 years 8 months. She is 46 inches tall and weighs 55 pounds. She is way over a head taller than her preschool class. And probably most kindergarders and first graders. It's crazy, I can't keep up with the clothes either. She wears a 7/8 in girls, and a size 1 shoe.

treehugger.gifearth.gifribbonwhite.gif Anne (31), single WOHM to Karen (5)ribbonyellow.gifshamrocksmile.giffambedsingle1.gifjoy.gif
Old 09-19-2010, 12:03 AM

Tilia, that is a really big preschooler! Are you or her father particularly tall? She's the total opposite from my pip-squeak: 32 pounds, 39 inches, size 7/8 shoe, at age 4 years 4 months.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:17 AM

My daughter turned 4 in May, she weighs 31.5lbs and is about 38" tall. She is very petite, her legs and arms are little twigs and her ribs show. She eats a ton but she's always been small. She weighed 5lbs 12oz at birth and usually hovers around the 5-10th percentile. My son (they are twins) weighs 42lbs and is at least 40" tall, he's a big boy!

SAHM to twin kindergarteners

Old 09-19-2010, 12:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just measured her today for a different thread , so as of today DD is:

4 yrs +2-1/2 months
42 inches
45 pounds
size 11 shoe

She wears a 5T in clothes.

Her 6-1/2 yo brother is only 3-1/2 inches taller and 5 pounds heavier.

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)

User Tag List