Halloween CostumeDilemma... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 09-26-2010, 12:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So this year DD1 who is 4.5 was all set on being a witch, which was fine with us. Every time you asked her what she wanted to be for halloween she said a witch.
Then she saw her friend's costume - this flying horse thing at Target:
http://www.target.com/Flying-Horse-R...qid=1285472238

And she is now totally set on that, BUT I think it is a really impractical costume. You can't hold a candy bucket while wearing it because you have to hold the horses reins. It seems really easy to trip over, especially on stairs. The horse's feet are going to get filthy trick or treating and at preschool. We've asked her several times now what she wants to be and she keeps saying a flying pony.....I asked her what would happen if the store didn't have any more flying pony costumes and she said she'd go back to being a witch.

So, do I lie and tell her they were out of costumes so she goes back to the more practical witch costume or do I let her be the pony?

Mom to Morgan 4-3-06 and announcing Baby Kelsey 4-11-10
#2 of 10 Old 09-26-2010, 12:50 AM

Um....I'd lie That is a horribly impractical costume. I am picturing my own 4.5 yo DD and knowing that I could explain and explain until I was blue in the face, and she would still refuse to budge. I also know that she would ultimately be desperately unhappy with the costume and regret not going with her original choice.

Wife to DH and mama to DD(7) blahblah.gifand DD(5) moon.gif...Lola the Wiener Dog dog2.gif, Faulkner the Little Giant dog2.gif, Ginger the Wonder Cat cat.gif,  Azkaban the blue parakeet, Sunny the yellow parakeet, 3 nameless hermit crabs, and a whole bunch of fish!

#3 of 10 Old 09-26-2010, 02:00 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
She's 4.5? Maybe...um....it doesn't come in her size?

Mom of two girls.
#4 of 10 Old 09-26-2010, 02:18 AM

I hear your

here we have been back and fort between being Witch and others but Witch is coming back as a strong one as this somehow was ment to be next, other ideas come and go but witch juuuuuuust keep coming back.

As to the horse, I would say it is impractical for the reasons stated by you and PP.

However if your little one has her heart set on it then I personally would not discourage her from this as I feel that this is her right to be what she feels strong about - in our case at least.

If you feel strong about her not being it you certainly can "inspire" her or
redirect gently and successfully..

I think the best bet would be just to buy this outfit form Target as they have very linient return policy as long as you return it before Halloween
and let your child to put it on and sit in it for half an hour or so every day,
as long as it is indoors and she wont damage it it..

she might realise by herself two things: that this is not really so easy to trick and treat with it.. you might set up fake around the house stations as she will go and you and other famly members will be giving her fake treats..

what might come out of it : she might get happy she got a fill of this costume and she might be bored with it before you will know and she might go back to the witch..

or she will like it and you will get used to it just the same and that will grow on you

on a positive note about horse: you might solve the holding rains issue by attaching them somehow
to your child's arms sort of imagine carrying backpack in front of you instead of the back but on really long handles .. if you know what I mean.

she might be really worm and cozy if your temperatures are cold and the day is just not as friendly .. other kids will be freezing and she won't

there are few such a cute witch costumes out there that we are just melting down looking, and my kiddo just can't decide:

http://www.bestsellingtoy.us/01-1657...d_Costume.html

this costume we tried in person and it is so elegantly made and so well proportioned that it just looks smashing, but it is bit on cold side comes to cold day:
http://www.halloweenexpress.com/eleg...c=3&zmap=21168

or green version:

http://www.costumestore.com/p-9682-s...-costumes.aspx

this was just so terrible on 5 year old, it is totally baggy all over the place despite the correct size, terrible terrible...

http://www.costumestore.com/p-13253-...-costumes.aspx
#5 of 10 Old 09-26-2010, 02:21 AM

I would probably just say "I don't feel that costume is safe to wear, you could trip over the horse legs and it would not be nice to get hurt" then I would say "maybe we can think of a way to make a flying pony costume that is safer" (a horse bodysuit costume bought or home made with fairy wings?) or a really cool witch costume.

Scarlett bfinfant.gif , DH Boris geek.gif , DS 1/29/08 Julian kid.gif DD2 6/7/12 babygirl.gif missing our DD 1/06/06 Sonja angel3.gif and MC @ 9 wks 11/18/06 Satchel  angel.gif

#6 of 10 Old 09-26-2010, 02:41 AM

It's really adorable, and so bright. I can understand why she wants that!

But, I would just explain that it's going to be so hard to wear that and have fun too. Give her an opportunity to try to figure out how she will hold it up while trick or treating. (btw, it looks like it holds it'self up with suspenders.. and, I bet it's lightweight)

If, after that she still really wants it, I'd say "Ok, lets go see if they have it in your size.". I'd let her have it if it's what she really wants. Some lessons are better learned first hand. This is a pretty inexpensive learning experience.
#7 of 10 Old 09-26-2010, 02:53 AM

I'd get both costumes... We use Halloween costumes all year as dress-up clothes. My kids get alot of use out of them. So I would just buy both. Then she could be a flying pony at home and a witch for the actual trick or treating.
#8 of 10 Old 09-26-2010, 10:49 AM

You could do what we do and say that at our house we make all of our costumes (can't afford to buy them). Though then, of course, you'd actually have to make one, lol. Another thought: what if you say the horse one is too impractical for trick-or-treating so you aren't prepared to buy it for her for that purpose, however you would consider buying it to use as a dress-up costume.

Good luck mama! I can see my own dd falling in love with that one.. I would have too as a young child...

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#9 of 10 Old 09-26-2010, 02:37 PM

Say no. A witch is a great costume and her friend is going to be the horse already. She might be disappointed but it won't ruin Halloween for her.

Mother of two. : 4/05 and 1/07 Wife of one. : 7/01
#10 of 10 Old 09-26-2010, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I would tell her the truth as you laid it out here and encourage her to look at all of the costumes then choose one. There are warm animal costumes that kids can get that are a little more practical and that may also be a direction to go in. If you can get both and let the horse be an at home costume then that would be awesome for dress up. We usually get a couple costumes and my dd uses them throughout the year.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page