Ideas for non-celebrating Halloween? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 09-26-2010, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD is already bugging me about what she's going to be for Halloween and we don't 'do' Halloween (for multiple reasons, incl. religious). In the past we've gone to Chuck E Cheeses and that distracted her from all the hoopla. However, now that she's in KG I'm afraid she might feel excluded, so I want to do something really neat with her instead of TOTing on that night.

Ideas?

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#2 of 17 Old 09-26-2010, 01:01 AM

Perhaps she just wants the fun of dressing up and discussing costumes with classmates? Is it possible to incorporate dressing up into your normal routine? Like a fairy tea party, a "fancy" dinner (perhaps with her dressing up in your clothes, painting each others nails, etc.)? Maybe do a performance of her favorite story with costumes and such?

Wife to DH and mama to DD(7) blahblah.gifand DD(5) moon.gif...Lola the Wiener Dog dog2.gif, Faulkner the Little Giant dog2.gif, Ginger the Wonder Cat cat.gif,  Azkaban the blue parakeet, Sunny the yellow parakeet, 3 nameless hermit crabs, and a whole bunch of fish!

#3 of 17 Old 09-26-2010, 02:22 AM

We've also struggled with this. We've done a variety of things. When dd1 was little we simply ignored it. We had the same struggle as she got older as she really wanted to participate. Our church held a party every year for a while. The years we didn't go we would hand out candy (nice bags of it with tracts or verses) and do trick-or-treating just with the neighbors and grandpa. Jot sure what we'll do this year.

Maybe you could dress up and do a special movie/popcorn/candy night as a family?

We also buy costumes on clearance afterwards for the kid to do dress-up the rest of the year. I think that helps them.

Sara: Separated Mom to , DD (9), , DS (5), DD (3), , & 4/5/10 + 2 & 1
#4 of 17 Old 09-26-2010, 07:47 PM

When I was a kid our family didn't celebrate Halloween. My mom would always try and do something else fun that night instead. Some of the things we did were make candied apples, popcorn balls, homemade french fries and onion rings, homemade ice cream. We also went to church sponsered events, hayrides, bonfires, that sort of thing. We also handed out candy to the neighborhood kids.

SAHM to 3 girls
#5 of 17 Old 09-26-2010, 09:33 PM

Are there any churches in your area doing a Harvest Party? Or you could do something fall/harvest related with your family like baking pumpkin bread and having cider, or maybe visiting a farm and doing a corn maze?

Full-time RVing wifey, TTC #1 and working towards living debt-free!
#6 of 17 Old 09-26-2010, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to look at events around the area so we can be out of the house that night. I'm afraid she will be sadly looking out the window, watching the other kids go door to door. And of course, every year (before she knew what was going on) kids would ring our doorbell even though its pitch black and there's no decorations in our yard.

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#7 of 17 Old 09-27-2010, 01:17 AM

This isn't so much a suggestion for what to do on October 31st, but if the costume thing is part of what's really getting to her, maybe you can suggest she have her next birthday party as a costume party? (OK, I'm assuming you do birthday parties. If not, I'm sorry, just ignore me.)

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.
#8 of 17 Old 09-27-2010, 04:42 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I was going to suggest a fall harvest celebration too. Is it possible to have a bonfire, maybe roast some marshmallows and sip hot cider? She can enjoy the thrill of being out at night, without the trick-or-treat etc.
#9 of 17 Old 09-28-2010, 11:39 AM

We have taken the kids to the mall where the stores pass out candy.Kids got to dress up and get a decent amount of candy.Some years we have just stayed home.I would get bags of candy and we would eat all we wanted while watching movies.Not sure what we will do this year.If it rains I know I will want to stay home!
#10 of 17 Old 09-29-2010, 10:38 AM

Could you go apple picking and then for a hayride or something at a local farm? Maybe make apple crisip or apple sauce when you get home?

Or visit a corn maze. We always have fun at corn mazes.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!
#11 of 17 Old 09-30-2010, 01:21 PM

If you have a children's hospital nearby they may have volunteer opportunities on Halloween (i.e. to help with a party for kids who are in the hospital).
#12 of 17 Old 10-02-2010, 10:59 PM

Do you have friends with the same religious convictions? If so, perhaps you all can get together and have a party.

I am Catholic, and we used to attend an All Hallow's Eve party at various friends' homes, dressed up as our favorite saints. We all got to learn about the different saints, play some games, and just have fun together.

Perhaps you can host a similar party with everyone coming dressed as Biblical characters?

All Saints Day Party Ideas
Christian Halloween
Halloween Alternatives
Halloween Alternatives google search

Proud Catholic transtichel.gif(28) and mama to Vdust.gif (7)

#13 of 17 Old 10-05-2010, 03:43 PM

As a former pre-K teacher with some kids in class that didn't participate in Halloween, school parties were really, really hard on the kids that weren't allowed to dress up but still sent to school. I suspect the actual day, being a Sunday, will be relatively easy to distract her from, but I would think hard about the day of the school party. At least at our school this is by far the most "done" holiday at school. The kids dress up all day, have a parade and a party. Anyway, I just wanted to make a note, that if your DD is at school, to be sure to consider what to do about the big day there.

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#14 of 17 Old 10-05-2010, 04:12 PM

You may want to "let" her stay home from school that day, as I'm guessing it'll be all the kids are talking about.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#15 of 17 Old 10-05-2010, 04:34 PM

We don't celebrate either and we have opted for her not to go to school that day... It's confusing for her, and it's basically a big treat fest and she has food allergies on top of everything else.

This is the first year that it's really been hard for her.

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

#16 of 17 Old 10-05-2010, 05:01 PM

I concur that letting her have a mental health day might be the best idea.

If she is going to go to school, maybe let her dress however she wants.
The McD commercial with the little girl in sweatpants, a tutu, two non-matching t-shirts, a big floppy hat and sunglasses comes to mind.

Proud Catholic transtichel.gif(28) and mama to Vdust.gif (7)

#17 of 17 Old 10-06-2010, 09:15 AM

I didn't celebrate as a child and our family doesn't now. A few things come to mind: Does your daughter know why your family doesn't participate? That helped me when I was younger. Instead of hearing "We don't do this", I had a good reason why our family sat it out, so to speak. While I naturally wanted to fit it, I learned to take pride in my family and our beliefs and I learned that it was okay to be different. While I didn't/don't celebrate Halloween, we always did other fun things. Not to take the place of the holiday, but just because. If she loves to dress up, have a dress-up night at your house, or let her wear her costume to the store or grandma's house on another day. I agree with the other posters about "harvest festivals". They can be so much fun for families. If she is attending school the day of the party, can you make alternate arrangements for her to sit in the library while the festivities are going on? Then pack a special treat bag for her-notebook and stickers, etc. for while she is there to keep her occupied.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page