Change DS's first name? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 09-27-2010, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is maybe kinda hard to explain, but I have always hated DS's name (just turned 3). Officially it is Ezreal Archer. I LOVE Archer, but did not want it to be his first name cause it too easily becomes Archie which I don't like at all. So for 3 years now he has been Ezzy, a nickname that fits him perfectly. However, every time I have to write his legal name, or whenever I'm asked what Ezzy stands for I completely cringe! His grandparents can barely pronounce it even. It becomes Ezril for my mom who refuses to call him Ezzy. STBX-DH pressured me into naming him when he was 3 days old cause he was sick of calling him "the baby". Being that he had worked at a school for troubled boys there were virtually no names that did not have negative associations for him, so he had come up with Ezreal. I cringed sending out the baby announcements and filling out his birth certificate info, but didn't listen to my gut.
So now we are seriously considering officially changing his name. He will still have the nn Ezzy, but for about the past year we have been telling people who ask that Ezzy is short for Cortez. My husband is hispanic and Ezzy has his last name, so it sounds great together. Ezzy seems to like the name Cortez, too.. although he prefers to be called Ezzy since that is what he's always been called.
So what do you think? Should we go through the red tape to change his name officially to Cortez? Or should I just get over it (I have no idea how to do this) because Ezreal is a better name anyway?

Ronna
#2 of 28 Old 09-27-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprgrl View Post
This is maybe kinda hard to explain, but I have always hated DS's name (just turned 3). Officially it is Ezreal Archer. I LOVE Archer, but did not want it to be his first name cause it too easily becomes Archie which I don't like at all. So for 3 years now he has been Ezzy, a nickname that fits him perfectly. However, every time I have to write his legal name, or whenever I'm asked what Ezzy stands for I completely cringe! His grandparents can barely pronounce it even. It becomes Ezril for my mom who refuses to call him Ezzy. STBX-DH pressured me into naming him when he was 3 days old cause he was sick of calling him "the baby". Being that he had worked at a school for troubled boys there were virtually no names that did not have negative associations for him, so he had come up with Ezreal. I cringed sending out the baby announcements and filling out his birth certificate info, but didn't listen to my gut.
So now we are seriously considering officially changing his name. He will still have the nn Ezzy, but for about the past year we have been telling people who ask that Ezzy is short for Cortez. My husband is hispanic and Ezzy has his last name, so it sounds great together. Ezzy seems to like the name Cortez, too.. although he prefers to be called Ezzy since that is what he's always been called.
So what do you think? Should we go through the red tape to change his name officially to Cortez? Or should I just get over it (I have no idea how to do this) because Ezreal is a better name anyway?

Ronna
I'd change in a heartbeat, if you hate it as much!

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
#3 of 28 Old 09-27-2010, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Sure, since everyone seems to be in agreement and ds can keep his nickname.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#4 of 28 Old 09-27-2010, 11:16 AM

Sounds like a great compromise!
#5 of 28 Old 09-27-2010, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

What do you think of the two names? Really I've become quite neurotic over the last 3 years over this whole name deal.
#6 of 28 Old 09-27-2010, 03:25 PM

Here is what i know about name changing. It's a pain the A$$! I know this because when i got married my plan was to get rid of my middle name and have my maiden name become my middle name. Well I didn't put that new name on my marriage certificate where it says "what do you want your name to be now" basically (which would have been smooth sailing because it was signed on an official document by an official person- the ordained minister). And then it would have been done. So I realized after much confusion that now I was going to have to get a lawyer and pay at least around $300 to get an official signature on an official document to get my name changed. Then of course you have to change EVERYTHING from Social security card to birth certificate to medical records (luckily he is little and doesnt have credit cards and bank accounts). It's doable. But its just ridiculous all the hoops you have to jump through- going to the official state building to get the birth certificate changed (which costs money too) and to then make sure that all documents are filled out properly.

I think Ezreal is cute. What if you left it up to him when got older to change his own name? Although it's not like it will be any easier to do it in the future. So do it if you feel up for it and if you feel like it's worth the money. Good luck deciding!
#7 of 28 Old 09-27-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
What do you think of the two names? Really I've become quite neurotic over the last 3 years over this whole name deal.
Do it now and don't look back. Cortez Archer is fine. Great. You like it, you all like it, do it before he goes to school and it gets complicated. There WILL be "that" teacher who insists on calling children by their full names.

Good for you for owning up to it and just getting through with it. Good luck!

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#8 of 28 Old 09-27-2010, 04:42 PM

How does your stbxh feel about it? If you are both fine with it, then do it asap!

Mama of three.

#9 of 28 Old 09-27-2010, 10:37 PM

Since you have already told people that his real name is Cortez, and since you hate Ezreal, then just go ahead and change it. He's only 3 right now, no big deal at this point.

Personally, I like all three names that you have mentioned.
#10 of 28 Old 09-27-2010, 11:14 PM

So, your STBX is on board with it? Then why not? Better now than later.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#11 of 28 Old 09-27-2010, 11:18 PM

Honestly? I don't like the name Ezreal, but I LOVE the name Cortez! Cortez has a bit of adventure to it, while Ezreal...mm...not so much

If everyone's in agreement, and you HATE the name, go for it - he's 3. He'll deal.
#12 of 28 Old 09-27-2010, 11:32 PM
2xy

First off, I don't care for Ezreal, either. It makes me think of Azriel, which makes me think of the evil cat from the Smurfs. I do like Cortez.

Secondly, I've changed my name more times than I care to admit, due to marriage, divorce, adoption, and whimsy. It's much more of a PITA as an adult. I changed my first name when I was 15 and it wasn't that much of a hassle. I don't remember the cost being as outrageous as a PP mentioned; actually, I've thought about changing my first name back to my original first name (recently), and when I looked into it it wasn't anywhere near $300. It might depend on what state you do it in.

But really....as a kid you only have to worry about the social security card, birth certificate, doctors records and school records. Not that big of a deal, really. Except for the school records, it's no worse than the paperwork you do when a baby is born.
#13 of 28 Old 09-28-2010, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you! I feel encouraged and motivated and no longer like such a freak for wanting to change his name so badly. STBX had a hard time with it at first and thought I should get over it. But now he's on board... seeing how much anguish this has caused me over the years, and how it was impatient of him to pressure me so much for a name on day 3. He REALLY likes Cortez and feels it fits DS better than Ezreal.
Some teen girls at the school I work for told me they think Cortez is a "short grouchy old man name" and they thought the name Ezreal is "hot". But I personally don't like it at all and really like Cortez for him.
I'll get the ball rolling on it. I've already got the forms filled out and have a notary friend to sign them with. Then it's off to the court house. According to the person I talk with there it should cost about $60 of I remember right. It would cost much more if I went through a lawyer.
Thanks for the encouragement and understanding.
#14 of 28 Old 09-28-2010, 12:26 AM

When I hear Cortez, I think about the destruction of the Aztec civilization and all the damage colonialism caused. I like Ezreal better

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#15 of 28 Old 09-28-2010, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepster View Post
When I hear Cortez, I think about the destruction of the Aztec civilization and all the damage colonialism caused. I like Ezreal better
Hmm...I immediately thought of sailing on the gorgeous, florescent, turquoise waters of the Sea of Cortez.

Kinda like this: http://www.elvincountry.com/sea-kaya...of-cortez.html

I guess every name can have a good AND bad connotation to it per a simple google. King David or David Koresh; John F. Kennedy or John Wilkes Booth, kwim?

He's being called Ezzy anyway, and you've imbued it with the meaning of who your child is to you.
#16 of 28 Old 09-28-2010, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

The name Cortez actually means courteous... which Cortes the Aztec killer was not. He did not live up to his name.
Maybe my Cortez can put a new image in people's minds when they hear the name.
According to some sources Ezreal is derived from the name of the angel of death. In video game land Ezreal is a super killer. So if I'm soley looking at meaning/connotations I'm scewed regardless.
Cortez is the only name we've found that fits Ezzy and allows him to easily keep his nn Ezzy/Ez. My dad suggested Cortez, actually, and everyone in the room simultaneously felt right about it at that time.
When I was pregnant with him I couldn't find a name that felt right and everyone told me one would come to me when I met him. Well one didn't. I also really was feeling he was a girl....and had a girl's name picked that I LOVED!
Cascadian: The Sea of Cortez looks beautiful!
#17 of 28 Old 09-28-2010, 09:11 AM

I think it's important for a name to feel good. If the child's father is okay with the change, and everyone likes it, great. Does your son know about any of this ? Does he know what his legal name is and what you are considering changing it to ? Does he have any feelings about it ? If it was me and the child was 3, I would want to ask him.

DS1 March 2003DS2 Sept 2005,
and 3 , in our happy secular
#18 of 28 Old 09-28-2010, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

DS does know. His only concern seems to be that he really wants to be Ezzy. He says he likes Cortez better than Ezreal. But he's Ezzy and that's what he wants to be called
Here's a picture of him
#19 of 28 Old 09-28-2010, 11:35 AM

He's darling ! Cortez sounds like a great name then !

I had really strong feelings about our first son's name; DH had very strong feelings about our second son's name. I think it's important to go with those feelings...and I think it's great that you've decided it's not too late

DS1 March 2003DS2 Sept 2005,
and 3 , in our happy secular
#20 of 28 Old 09-28-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xy View Post
First off, I don't care for Ezreal, either. It makes me think of Azriel, which makes me think of the evil cat from the Smurfs.
LOL!!! This was my very first thought!
#21 of 28 Old 09-28-2010, 12:48 PM

What a beautiful boy!
I like both names.

Mama to my 2 boys
#22 of 28 Old 09-28-2010, 05:25 PM

I would change it!

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#23 of 28 Old 09-28-2010, 05:59 PM

I was in a related situation 3 years ago with DD. I wanted to name her Charlotte - I am passionate about the name. In my mind, it is a eloquent but feminine name. When DD was born, she was so sporty there was just no way that name fit.

So we decided on Lea. And I was OK with it, but not 100%, because I waited months to have her name officially decided (you can wait 6 months here). What bothered me is everyone in this area pronounces it Leia - like princess Leia in star wars - which was so NOT our intentions. One woman even kept correcting me "you mean Leia" until I said that since I am her mother, I might have an idea what her name is.

Anyway, we kept the name Lea. Why? We did not/do not actually hate or even dislike the name, we just didn't like everyone else's interpretation of it. And because DD is a tough girl, so if someone mispronounces her name, she corrects them on the spot. And mostly because the name really does fit her so well. The name grew with her, and fits her 100%. If I were in your shoes however, I for sure would change it, regardless of financial cost. Your son obviously hasn't grown into his name, it still doesn't fit. You and your H don't think the name fits, he himself doesn't feel it fits. How can he feel comfortable in himself if he can't be comfortable in his name?

Even better, you all agree that Cortez fits him so much better. And he identifies with Cortez. So, yes, I would change it.
#24 of 28 Old 09-28-2010, 06:48 PM

I would totally change it. I don't like Ezreal. I don't like Cortez, either. It sounds way too much like a last name. But if you like it, it's miles better than Ezreal!

My suggestion, what about Ezra? That's a perfectly respectable name and you get to keep the first 3 letters.
#25 of 28 Old 09-29-2010, 12:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinemama View Post
I would totally change it. I don't like Ezreal. I don't like Cortez, either. It sounds way too much like a last name. But if you like it, it's miles better than Ezreal!

My suggestion, what about Ezra? That's a perfectly respectable name and you get to keep the first 3 letters.
Ezra is a great name. The only thing is my older son's name is Silas and we are not Christian or religious at all really... so it seems kinda odd to have two such strongly religious names... That's something else I don't like about Ezreal- it's too close to Israel which together with Silas just doesn't sound like us. But my very religious mom was there when Ezzy was born and really liked Ezreal cause it sounded religious to her. So between the pressure of her and H and feeling stupid that I had no other suggestions at the time I caved and named DS something I really hate. I've wished many times I could have gone back and stood up for myself then. But I can't see him being called anything other than Ezzy, really. The nn fits his funny sweet little personality perfectly.
#26 of 28 Old 09-29-2010, 02:25 AM
2xy

Quote:
Ezra is a great name. The only thing is my older son's name is Silas and we are not Christian or religious at all really... so it seems kinda odd to have two such strongly religious names...
I have a J.E. and an A.E. We're atheists. I just happen to like Hebrew names. I have corrected people from time to time when they mention my boys' "Biblical" names. Hebrew names existed before the Bible was written, and baby-name books list their origin as "Hebrew," not "Bible."

If it's any consolation, it's really not been much of an issue. I like Ezra. I also have a friend whose son is named Enzo. It's Italian.
#27 of 28 Old 09-29-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Ezra is a great name. The only thing is my older son's name is Silas and we are not Christian or religious at all really... so it seems kinda odd to have two such strongly religious names...
Since it's from the Hebrew Bible, Ezra can't be considered a Christian name. And really, it's no more "religious" than any other name with a biblical origin, like John or Michael or Deborah. Not trying to convince you to go with Ezra at all, but I don't think the fact that you are not religious should be a reason not to go with a great name. If anything, Ezra makes me think Old New England Intellectual Dude.
#28 of 28 Old 09-29-2010, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Ezra really does not seem to fit him either. I guess I'm pretty partial to Cortez at this point As far as Biblical names go, I've made a difficult break from the very conservative, legalistic, and stiffling religion in which I was raised and having my children all named Biblical sounding names is too strong of a link to that for me at this point in time. I do like Biblical names a lot, and have nothing against religion. Its just some little thing I get stuck on, I guess.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page