What do you think this is? - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: What is causing this?
Some kind of virus 5 45.45%
Allergic reaction 0 0%
Other (please explain) 1 9.09%
No idea 5 45.45%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-27-2010, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My ds is 3 yo. About 3-4 nights ago he woke up in the middle of the night to throw up a couple of times. Since then his skin has been looking a little off. Kinda blotchy. It looks like he has goosebumps, with a little bit of redness here and there.
My mil said he felt like he had a minor fever the other day, other than that, nothing unusual. He is normally a big eater and that hasn't changed much, if at all. Up to last night he never mentioned being bothered by the "rash". (It seems really mild to be called a rash).
So last night we are walking through a parking lot when he starts freaking out, crying and twitching, saying there are things poking him. After a minute he was fine. And today was the same thing; fine most of the time, but occasionally and out of nowhere freaking out saying now there are sparkles on his skin. It doesn't seem to itch, but he says it is surface (on his skin not under it). Aveeno bath and skin irritation cream help... but the cream is only supposed to be used 4 times a day, and we have maxed that out.

SO my question to you mamas, what do you think this could be?
My mil is thinking he came into contact with something he is allergic to. I have been thinking maybe he has some kind of virus.
???????????? help ????????????????
My dh had lots of allergies when he was a kiddo, but mil says she doesn't remember anything like this on his skin.
#2 of 9 Old 09-27-2010, 08:33 PM

I have no idea. LOL

But, I've had the "sparkles" before too. Still... no idea. Sorry.
#3 of 9 Old 09-28-2010, 05:20 PM

In my experience- viruses with a rash usually have a fever involved and allergic reactions usually subside in a day or 2 if you stop exposure to the allergy. I'd probably take him to the dr for a professional opinion at this point.

Laura, Mama to Mya 7/02, Ian 6/07 and Anna 8/09
#4 of 9 Old 09-28-2010, 05:27 PM

I'd guess virus, and I'd also make an appointment with your HCP.

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#5 of 9 Old 09-28-2010, 05:30 PM

They may be two completely unrelated causes. One being the virus/bacteria that made him throw up and have a fever. The other being an allergy or sensitivity to something. Based on my experience with allergies, I'd first cut back on anything that can cause a contact allergy by using no soaps in baths, but you can use baking soda in bath water if you feel the need to clean, not just rinse, the skin. Don't use scents, dyes, or other chemical additives to wash anything that touches the skin, such as clothing, blankets, stuffed animals, couch cushions, carpeting, curtains, etc. Once the contact stuff has been dealt with, if he still has skin rash/runny nose/sneezing/coughing, you can give children's benadryl in the mornings and see how he reacts to that.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#6 of 9 Old 09-28-2010, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I have no idea but I think you should have it checked out since it is bothering him now.
#7 of 9 Old 09-28-2010, 10:35 PM

I have no idea, but you could try giving him a dose of children's antihistamine and see if that gets rid of the rash.

Amanda - wife to DH Kellyjog.gif, Mummers to Trentreading.gif born 03/03/05 Bridgetdust.gif born 08/08/07 and a IT'S A BOY! Kennedy babyboy.gifborn 02/20/11!
#8 of 9 Old 09-29-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Purity♥Lake~ View Post
They may be two completely unrelated causes. One being the virus/bacteria that made him throw up and have a fever. The other being an allergy or sensitivity to something.
This was my first thought as well... that the events are unrelated.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!
#9 of 9 Old 09-29-2010, 12:29 PM

I don't know what it is, but an allergic rash is usually flat, not raise like goose bumps. I would take him to the pediatrician.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page