Calorie Dense Foods for Picky Eater? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-03-2010, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 3.5 yr old used to eat a much more varied diet but has gotten super picky and has been getting so thin. The addition of his new sister 6 weeks ago seems to have exacerbated the problem and he's visibly lost weight since she was born. His bones are sticking out, his pants are falling off, etc.

Do you have ideas for foods to beef him up, besides the obvious deserts, which he's not picky about? He's never liked butter or cheese (though he'll eat cheese on pizza). Won't eat eggs anymore, and has never liked meat (except bacon) or avocado. He used to eat peanut butter/jelly sandwiches, but mostly now refused the peanut butter and only eats the jelly side. So, it's really hard to find anything with much protein or fat for him. The other things he often likes to eat are box mac and cheese (refuses even homemade or restaurant mac and cheese now), corn and edamame, beans and rice, pizza, spaghetti and that's about it.

Megan-39, Postpartum Doula, DW to Sacha-40 (18 years together) and Mama to Finn Alexander born 4/2/07 and Zivia Littlewood born 8/23/10

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2010, 08:15 PM

I have a Reluctant Feeder/Eater (he's on the autism spectrum with sensory issues.)

I struggle with this every single day. Feeding therapy isn't working (though I'm trying to find yet another new therapist to try).

Will he eat small pancakes? I make pancakes and will add pureed veggies/fruit. Add cinnamon and it does the trick. He only likes a certain amount of syrup on them... strategically placed so that it doesn't run off the sides. I make sure I add stuff like ground flaxseed, eggs, and sometimes even avocado!

I'm still looking for more ideas though. I'm going to attempt making mini quiche this week. I'll try ones with crust and without.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

Old 10-03-2010, 11:11 PM

Well, the avocado is good! (My kids won't touch it.) So is the bacon...does he drink milk? Maybe you could mix heavy cream with (raw if you can get it) whole milk--maybe add organic chocolate syrup--and he'd a have very calorie dense drink. Would he eat a smoothie? Add some coconut oil to the strawberries, banana, whole milk yogurt, etc. Drench the mac and cheese in butter--like use half a stick instead of a couple of tablespoons. Put "pizza" cheese on the beans and rice. Otherwise, I don't know...maybe visit nutrition and good eating for more ideas. Good luck!
Old 10-06-2010, 05:29 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
how about almond butter and jelly sandwiches?

Smoothies with frozen fruit, banana, juice, milk, raw egg, spinach? Some people throw in almond butter or almonds.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:07 AM
Fay

I make fudgesicles for my picky eater: 1 ripe avocado, 1 ripe banana, 4 tablespoons coconut milk (or 2 tablespoons cococunt oil), 3 tablespoons honey (more or less according to taste) and a quarter cup of cocoa powder, pureed in the blender until smooth, then frozen in a popsicle mold (or served as pudding at room temp or chilled).

When I make rice, I add olive oil and stir in some pureed butternut squash for extra calories & nutrition. My kids help me in the kitchen, so the ingredients are not secret. they love "orange rice."

Will he dip bread in olive oil? Those are easy calories to add. What about homemade spinach dip? Puree some mayo, spinach, artichoke hearts and garlic, mix with shredded cheese and warm the mixture until the cheese melts...he can dip pita chips, bread or tortillas in it.

"Isn't life a series of images that change as they repeat themselves?" - Andy Warhol
Old 10-07-2010, 04:30 PM

I make my waffles with whipping cream and extra butter. They are delicious and very fattening! I also use olive oil in my box mac and cheese for some extra good fats.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:59 PM

You can hide a lot in spaghetti sauce. From fats to veggies.

You may want to crosspost this in nutrition.

He seems to like sweets, will he eat pudding, custard, cake or cheesecake? I have recipes for all of those that are high in fat and/or protein. We often eat them for breakfast around here. Normally i wouldnt suggest catering to a sweet tooth, but since he's showing he's willing to starve himself...

Would you be willing to pump for him? Ultimately, that would be the best food for him.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

User Tag List