Bedtime wetting - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 05-10-2002, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My almost five year old daughter cannot wets the bed at night. I have not made a big deal out of this at all. I'm wondering if this is typical and any ideas to help her out would be great! Thank you!!
#2 of 18 Old 05-10-2002, 04:36 PM

Mine, too!!

I thought we were out of diapers around 2 1/2 years... Then we moved, then I was on bedrest, then the baby came. After lots of "two steps forward, one step back", I've finally decided to just wait for her!

She takes care of her own (infrequent) accidents during the day, and we take care of things together at night. But I got tired of being frustrated with her, so I don't make an issue of it anymore. I've read that this is common, especially if you have a family history of bed wetting...

Hang in there!

Wife and Mama who homeschools-- mostly in the kitchen!
#3 of 18 Old 05-10-2002, 04:48 PM

I think it is normal. My ds is 7 and still has night time accidents. What we've found is that it's not a bladder control problum, but a sleep problum.

He sleeps so hard and so heavey that he can't wake up to empty the bladder. If you think this may be the case, let me know and I'll post some more info that I have on it.
#4 of 18 Old 05-10-2002, 05:01 PM

It's actually pretty common. Five is actually not that old to be bed-wetting. Bed-wetting tends to run in families and it will just have to be something she grows out of most likely. Just give her body time to mature to the point where she can arouse herself at night to empty her bladder or until her body starts producing that hormone (can't think of the name...anti-diuretic??) that will prevent her from needing to eliminate at night.
Good for you for not making a big deal out of it.
Kylix
#5 of 18 Old 05-10-2002, 05:06 PM

Oh and if you and she would like, you could show her how to run the washing machine so she can take care of the sheets and her pjs in the morning. Not as a punishment or negative consequence but just as way of her feeling in control of the situation. It can become something personal and private for her so that others don't have to know if she wet at night. 5 yo might be a bit young for that since she may not be as embarrassed as if she were a bit older but I think she could manage to run the water, add the sheets and add a bit of soap if she wanted.
Just a suggestion
Kylix
#6 of 18 Old 05-10-2002, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mrs. Mom
I think it very well could be she is too sleepy to wake. Any info you have would be great Thank you!!
#7 of 18 Old 05-11-2002, 04:35 AM

I am sure many people will tell me that I should not be doing this, but I take my 4 year old to the potty EVERY NIGHT in the middle of the night in her sleep. She wakes up enough to sit up on the potty and let me wipe her and wipe her hands.

If I forget or am too sleepy, sometimes she will hold it all night so I try not to forget or be too sleepy. I think her holding it all night is worse than the rare occasions when I forget to take her or am too sleepy to take her and as a result she wets the bed.

What do ya'll think? Julie Heggen, I think that NOT making a big deal out of it is a BIG STEP in the right direction. Punishing/chastising/humiliating/being frustrated with will only make it become a problem when it really isn't a problem until they are much older than 5.
#8 of 18 Old 05-21-2002, 12:58 PM

Please ! I would be very interrested in getting info about children too sleepy to wake up. My son (just 6 yo) feels so guilty about pipi in his bed, that he himself wakes up very very early, doesn't fall asleep anymore after that, and then gets more tired every day, untill the night he will not be able to wake up and makes pipi in bed, and feels guilty, etc..... you see the vicious cercle...
Sophie
#9 of 18 Old 05-22-2002, 07:34 AM

Ms Mom,

I'd be interested in the info about heavy sleepers and bedwetting. My 6.5 yr old pees every night in her pull-up. I think it's because she is a very, very heavy sleeper. The occasional time I've gotten her up in the night to go, I can't get her to wake up, even while she's sitting on the toilet.

Thanks
#10 of 18 Old 05-22-2002, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

The more I read from you all the better I feel. I am sure that my dd IS just a very heavy sleeper and that is why she wets at night. Thank you for all your support! Sometimes the pull-up doesn't hold all her pee and we limit liquids after 7~and that's hard when she's thirsy Thanks!! Julie
#11 of 18 Old 05-22-2002, 04:56 PM

Ds is five and a half. We take him potty in the middle of the night every night but he still SOAKS a pull-up every night too. Very sound sleeper.

I don't feel right about limiting liquids. Occasionally he will ask what he can to do stop needing pull ups. I'll suggest limiting liquids and he'll take it upon himself to try. I feel better about that. Still no success though.
#12 of 18 Old 05-28-2002, 09:43 PM

I used to do the same thing with my 5 year old daughter. I made sure she used the bathroom before bed but then EVERY night I would have to carry her to the bathroom half-asleep and if I forgot or didn't notice her squirming we would have a wet bed. I searched my natural remedies books and found homeopathic CAUSTICUM. I think I gave it to her several times on the first day. She has done it only once since--she's 7 now. I can't say I know it worked but I think it is well worth a try.
#13 of 18 Old 05-29-2002, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you Heather!! I'll try it! Julie
#14 of 18 Old 05-30-2002, 07:03 AM

Julie,

keep us posted on how it works. I think we will try it, too.

Alison
#15 of 18 Old 05-30-2002, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

I am trying to find it. I called a couple places and they did not have it. I'll keep trying. Thanks for all your help and support/encouragement. It's nice to know there are like minded people out there!! Warmly, Julie
#16 of 18 Old 05-30-2002, 09:55 PM

Boiron Homeopathic Catalog
Just in case you can't find it--here is a link to a catalog online. The one I used was 30c but the only one I see online is 12c but I am sure it would work just as well. Good Luck!
#17 of 18 Old 06-01-2002, 02:14 PM

I too had this problem with my ds until he was about 5 1/2. I asked the Dr about it every year at his checkup. Every year he told me the same thing, "Don't worry. He is just in too deep of a sleep for his brain to read the signals from his body. Do whatever you want to make it more comfortable (pull-ups, waking before bed etc...). It will stop as he matures." We never made a big deal out of it. When he got his pj's on, that just included a pull-up. I think that made a big difference so that he never felt bad or worried about it. All of a sudden, in less than 2 weeks, he just started staying dry. He hasn't had a wet bed since then.
Remember, this too shall pass.
#18 of 18 Old 06-01-2002, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you! I know everything passes and someday I will be looking back at Zoey's younger days with that feeling of just wanting to go back a bit. She is a wonderful person. Just when you wonder "am I doing an Ok job as a Mom" she found her pet catapiller dead (in several inches of water in the wheelbarrow she put him in to be safe) and she cried so hard because he was her friend and she let him down by putting him somwhere he wasn't safe. I held her as she sobbed in my arms for a very long time. I tried to be strong, but then I started to cry because she was so sad and felt such a loss. It was an "Ah-Ha" moment. Everything I'm trying to instill came to me with one catapiller. We burried him, planted flowers and then took a walk. So, the pee at night...not a big deal in the end. I have tears in my eyes, because I know how special Zoey is and I am so blessed to have her in my life. She saved me and she saves me every day. Thank you everyone! Warmly, Julie

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page