How often does your 4 year old bathe? - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: How often does your 4 year old bathe?
Every day 22 14.38%
Every other day 25 16.34%
2-3 times a week 62 40.52%
Once a week 32 20.92%
Other 12 7.84%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 63 Old 10-17-2010, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH and I are having debates about this. Just curious what others are doing.

2 Rainbow babes, PPH/Hysterectomy survivor!
#2 of 63 Old 10-17-2010, 04:40 PM

Mine gets a soak every day, for about 15 - 20 minutes, while I sit down and relax after the day (laptop on lap while I sit on the toilet). She just washes with water, no soap or shampoo. It's part of their bedtime routine.

I only shampoo, condition and oil her once a week, on Sunday. She could probably go with bathing once a week but I feel it's relaxing and it freshens her up a bit. I don't think soap every day is healthy but water is fine.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#3 of 63 Old 10-17-2010, 04:42 PM

My 4 year old takes 2-3 baths a week on average. Sometimes she will take one daily if she's on a playing in the tub kick. And of course if she gets filthy she will bathe right then. I aim for washing her hair once a week.

Momma to Sweet Rosie 7/06, Lost Baby J 1/09 at 12 weeks pregnant, Spitfire Ada born 4/21/10, and Baby Boy due July/August 2013!
Aspiring urban homesteader, photographer, homeschooling momma! Blog link in my profile. 

#4 of 63 Old 10-17-2010, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdnaMarie View Post
Mine gets a soak every day, for about 15 - 20 minutes, while I sit down and relax after the day (laptop on lap while I sit on the toilet). She just washes with water, no soap or shampoo. It's part of their bedtime routine.

I only shampoo, condition and oil her once a week, on Sunday. She could probably go with bathing once a week but I feel it's relaxing and it freshens her up a bit. I don't think soap every day is healthy but water is fine.
That's pretty much exactly what we do. I also think daily soap is too much.

Momma to Sweet Rosie 7/06, Lost Baby J 1/09 at 12 weeks pregnant, Spitfire Ada born 4/21/10, and Baby Boy due July/August 2013!
Aspiring urban homesteader, photographer, homeschooling momma! Blog link in my profile. 

#5 of 63 Old 10-17-2010, 04:46 PM

2-3 times a week, more if necessary. I don't have a 4 yr old, so I answered based on my 3 and 5 yr olds.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#6 of 63 Old 10-17-2010, 05:08 PM

I said once a week, but I actually can't remember when she had a bath or shower last. I guess she's due! I figure if I can't tell by looking or smelling her that she needs washed, then it must not be too pressing. Her skin and hair are lovely.
#7 of 63 Old 10-17-2010, 05:12 PM

In the summer, every day. But in the winter, every other day (unless we go outside or the museum or something).
#8 of 63 Old 10-17-2010, 05:35 PM

2-3 times a week. She's a messy girl and needs rinsing more often than her older sister did at the age of four. However, I never use soap otherwise it will dry out their skin and only rarely use vinegar/baking soda if there is sticky anything stuck in the hair, otherwise, no hair washing. I sometimes use my conditioner, maybe once a week, on their hair when I'm too tired to comb their hair after bathing before we go to bed.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#9 of 63 Old 10-17-2010, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
It varied depending on the child and the season. Wintertime, kids playing inside in the cool house, not getting very sweaty or dirty; once a week might have been enough. Other weeks they'd get 2 or 3 baths if they got dirtier. In warmer weather they needed baths daily, especially after playing outside barefoot or in sandals.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#10 of 63 Old 10-17-2010, 05:52 PM

DD is 3.5 and she usually bathes 3 times a week, sometimes 4. Often she just hops in the shower with me and sits on the bottom. Lately she isn't interested in bathing at all. We probably actually wash her hair (with a natural shampoo) about once a month or so.

I am hoping once her little sister can sit in the tub she they can bathe each night and give me a break!

Me: Shannon (33) mom to DD Everly born May 9, 2007 and Maisie born May 26
: : :
#11 of 63 Old 10-17-2010, 06:01 PM

our almost 5 yo dd bathes every day, sometimes more than once. we suspect that she may have SPD, so we have been using baths as a way of "resetting" since she was a baby.

she only uses soap if she's actually dirty from playing outside or eating or some such thing. we wash her hair rarely, maybe 1-2 times per month. i know it sounds gross, but she has short hair and we brush everyday. it never looks or feels greasy, and we never see her scratching her head or complaining that it itches.

oh, i have taught her to wash her yoni and butt with soap everyday, even if the rest of her body doesn't need soap.

eta: we use essential oil aromathehrapy in her baths everyday too. she loves it, it makes the whole house smell lovely, and really helps with her mood. i also wanted to add that she loves to sit in the bathtub with the shower on. it allows her a different feeling and is the technique we use when she needs a good washing. it also gives her a longer time with the warm water than she would have in a bath.

chicken3.gif    happy homesteading-homebirthing-homeschooling-student midwife-mama to a small handful of little ones and joyful wife to my artist man.

#12 of 63 Old 10-17-2010, 06:19 PM

Twice a week in the winter.

As needed in the summer which means almost everyday unless it's been bad weather and she hasn't been playing outside.
#13 of 63 Old 10-17-2010, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Everyone in our household is expected to shower, with soap, daily, regardless of season or activity level. On rare, and I mean RARE, occasions in the winter, one of us may skip one day. Occasionally, I skip shampooing for one day. This is if I am in a huge rush, or if my hair just happens to look really good and I don't want to mess with it. The boys have very short hair and so it's no hardship for them to shampoo daily. So right since birth they have been washed with soap (Bronner's Baby Mild) on a daily basis. Anything less is just yucky.

Bring back the old MDC
#14 of 63 Old 10-17-2010, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
My dd is now seven, but she has bathed every day of her life with soap (and shampoo once she was old enough to move beyond baby soap) with very few exceptions.
#15 of 63 Old 10-17-2010, 08:33 PM

My little one gets a bath just about every night - if not to clean her but to give me some quiet time. She plays and I sit and read or knit.

Kim , mom to Amanda (16):, William (13), and Annie (5)
#16 of 63 Old 10-17-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjam View Post
Twice a week in the winter.

As needed in the summer which means almost everyday unless it's been bad weather and she hasn't been playing outside.
This our routine as well. Of course everything is subject to change based on current needs.

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

#17 of 63 Old 10-17-2010, 09:01 PM

I said once a week. She really could use bathing more often, but it's such a tremendous battle that I don't fight it any more than absolutely necessary.

Sarah, mama to Miriam 9/26/2006 and Isaac 2/12/2010
#18 of 63 Old 10-17-2010, 10:57 PM

We use magnesium baths, so he'll have magnesium soak every 1-2 days, but I only use soap once a week. If not for the magnesium we'd do once a week.

I think kids and adults alike are over-cleansed!

We also don't trust the water, even with a bath ball, so I like to minimize his exposure. Hoping to drop the magnesium baths back to 2x week soon.
#19 of 63 Old 10-17-2010, 11:50 PM

it's a shower, with soap to wash feet, hands and butt only. also quick shampoo with conditioner on hair. and teeth brushed during shower. and it's playtime, and a transition to bedtime.

#20 of 63 Old 10-18-2010, 01:14 AM

Once a week full bath or shower is routine.

Depending on what they're doing, they may get tossed in the shower (after rolling in the mud) or soak their butt (after a bed-wetting incident) in an inch of warm water. In the summer they get a foot bath every night, since they run around barefoot.

My dh is African, so my kids have that quick-drying skin, and my skin is pretty dry too. If they had a proper bath or a full shower every day, we'd have skin issues.

ETA: None of us are rank, gross, or smelly, either.
#21 of 63 Old 10-18-2010, 02:44 AM

Top-n-tail nightly, bath once a week.
#22 of 63 Old 10-18-2010, 02:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
bath frequency changes for us based on what's going on. Sometimes its every night, sometimes its every 2-3 days. Shampoo is only once a week.

BC Mum of three ('05, '07, '11 and #4 coming May '14!)    jumpers.gif  belly.gif 

#23 of 63 Old 10-18-2010, 03:27 AM

When DD was 4, she was climbing into the shower with me a few times a week and pretty much just rinsing off. Occasionally she asked for me to squirt a little body wash in her hand and would use that.

She's 6 now and takes baths almost every day. She has oatmeal soap to use if she wants to, and hypoallergenic bubble bath (she has eczema). A lot of times she just soaks/rinses in plain water. I can't recall the last time her hair was washed with shampoo. It has been months, I'm sure.

Interestingly, DD has much nicer skin and hair -- and smells nicer -- than anyone else in our family and the rest of us wash with soap and shampoo our hair every day. She *does* wash her hands with soap and water several times a day (after using the bathroom, after eating, etc.). DD looks, feels, and smells clean so I don't worry about it. I'm not sure if this is an effect of not using soap very often and almost never shampooing, or if it's just because she hasn't hit puberty yet.

For now, though, less seems to be more.

--K
#24 of 63 Old 10-18-2010, 04:03 AM

Quote:
I am hoping once her little sister can sit in the tub she they can bathe each night and give me a break!
That's when mine started daily baths. They love it. Before that she just showered with me or when needed.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#25 of 63 Old 10-18-2010, 09:54 AM

we do it every night - it's just part of our bedtime routine and helps ds get in the mood for sleep.

i don't use soap every night though - only if he is really dirty or had sunscreen on or something like that. we wash hair maybe once a week, tops.

ds 3/06 familybed1.gif
#26 of 63 Old 10-18-2010, 12:04 PM

Mine aren't quite four yet-- but I'll answer anyway. It varies by season. In warmer weather, when they're outside a lot, they bathe as needed, which usually works out to be every day, or at least five days a week. But in the colder months, they don't need to be washed that much. I guess maybe twice a week, or possibly three, but I sometimes just let them play in the warm water, and skip the soap and shampoo. They do get soaped at least once a week, though.

Before potty training, they got washed more, because of poop.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#27 of 63 Old 10-18-2010, 12:12 PM

5 nights a week. There are 2 nights we skip completely (Monday and Friday) but he takes a bath every other night of the week although I only wash his hair every other night.

Baths have always been part of our bedtime routine and my kids love them. They could spend hours playing in the tub.
#28 of 63 Old 10-18-2010, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your input! Also, I apologize....I should have left it open for a larger age range. I am not too stuck on only age 4, just was in that mindset since that is how old DD is (even though she just turned 4).

I realize that this topic spans quite a range of responses, which is expected, I am just reassured that I am not crazy for not giving my child a shower/bath every day! DH believes that she needs a bath every day. This is how he was raised and even when kids are at his mom's house to this day, they get a bath every night. I don't think it is necessary for most kiddos. Plus, I honestly have not made room in our daily routine for it....I could if I had to, but I have not. Personal preference I guess.

I typically bathe DD 2-3 times a week....occasionally more or less as needed. Summer time or when she is sweaty or grimy, she gets them more frequently. I will have her wipe down her vagina/bottom most mornings with a wet wash cloth.

Anyway...thanks again for the reassurance.

Tracy

2 Rainbow babes, PPH/Hysterectomy survivor!
#29 of 63 Old 10-18-2010, 04:29 PM

I say every other day right now, but during the summer months, it was everyday because he was outside sweating, in the dirt, in the rocks, touching things, being around other kids... It just grossed me out. Now, that the weather is getting cooler, he isn't outside as much. Winter, it'll be every other day if not 2-3 times a week.

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
#30 of 63 Old 10-18-2010, 04:30 PM

I said 2-3 times a week, but this past summer it was every day, DD was waaaaaay too dirty, like caked in dirt, each day. Now she's not getting quite so dirty so it's a few times a week with surface cleaning as necessary.

Mama to DD 4/06 notes2.gif  new DS stork-boy.gif born 17/12/10 familybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page