Reassurance please! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 10-21-2010, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Please tell me when your 5.5 yo DD says she "feels like you are the only one who doesn't care about her", she is just exploring language.
My DD said this on our way to school today. I will admit to rushing her a bit because we were late, and not wanting to play around with the door. I know she was expressing her feelings about that. But, man, that phrase was hard to hear and respond to!
Gah.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 10-21-2010, 01:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
no she isnt just exploring language. she is truly expressing what she feels. its not about you. its about her. i have heard even worse phrases come out of my dd. but thankfully i had friends who had gone thru this IRL and help me see that its their first sign of pre-puberty. they are going thru hormonal changes (my dd got body odor at 6) and life is just horrible for them.

oh i give you they are hard to hear, but when you hear it as a reflection of what they are going thru - i know THAT helped me fill with compassion. my dd who always needed hugs when she was sad couldnt even decide that at that age. she would push me away and then two minutes later come sit on my lap. i just went with it. her hitting went up too. i sat and let her hit me or put some distance between us - because i could see by the intensity of her emotions that she wasnt able to listen to anything i'd say.

it was a hard, hard time. however when she got out of it - it was terribly sad for me. because suddenly she'd grown up into this mature child. v subtle. but typical tantrums were gone. she was more balanced and more adult like. no more losing it if i said no. ok mommy, then can i have it later or can i have NNN instead. a whole different child.

so yeah because i saw those words as a reflection of what a turmoil she was going thru i did not take it personally and instead because i had compassion i knew exactly what to do.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page