School Vision Tests (20/50 vision, what does that mean?) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 10-21-2010, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD1 (almost 7) came home with a vision report of 20/50 vision. We are required to get it followed up on independently. This has totally come out of left-field! We had NO idea that she had a vision problem. So, what does that mean for school, assuming that the 20/50 distance vision is accurate? (We have an optometrist appointment for Monday? Will they recommend glasses?

Wife to DH and mama to DD(7) blahblah.gifand DD(5) moon.gif...Lola the Wiener Dog dog2.gif, Faulkner the Little Giant dog2.gif, Ginger the Wonder Cat cat.gif,  Azkaban the blue parakeet, Sunny the yellow parakeet, 3 nameless hermit crabs, and a whole bunch of fish!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 10-21-2010, 06:57 PM

20/50 means that she can see at 20 feet what corrected vision can see at 50 feet.

They'll check the vision again at the optometrist's, though I don't know what the threshold is for correction.

Hope all goes well!

Mama to A 8/05 and S 11/06
#3 of 3 Old 10-21-2010, 06:59 PM

That's a pretty mild diagnosis, but she might get glasses to use just for certain activities (like reading a chalkboard from across the room). The way it breaks down, 20-20 vision means that if you have a theoretical person standing 20 feet away from a sign and they're able to read it perfectly, so can the real person taking the vision test. So with 20-50 vision, your daughter would need to stand 20 feet from a sign to clearly see something that a person with perfect vision could see clearly from 50 feet away.

In comparison, my vision tends to be around 20-1600. So what someone could theoretically see perfectly from 1600 feet away, I would have to be 20 feet away to see. That makes me legally blind without corrective lenses and I'm not allowed to drive without my glasses or contact lenses. I can see clearly up to about an inch in front of my face. 20-50 really isn't anything to worry about.

User Tag List