Rash or infection on 3.5yo's bum? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-24-2010, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am cross posting in Health and Healing, but thought I might find some help here too.

Dd will be 4 in February. She is still in (cloth) diapers at night.

Maybe a month ago I noticed round red bumps on her bum, like pimples, but open. She had a few of them in one area. I thought she had scraped herself when she was climbing on the fence the day before.

This morning I see that she has a big patch of them and a couple outliers. A couple of them look white (pussy?) on top. She also has a scratch that is a series of water blisters (almost like poison ivy, but very narrow).

I don't know what it is, and I'm wondering if I should be worried that it might be some kind of infection. Any ideas or experience would be very helpful.

If it gets worse or I get worried, I'll certainly take her to the doctor so he can look at it.
#2 of 9 Old 10-24-2010, 01:06 PM

I'd make an appointment with your HCP to rule out staph. White/pussy (like pimples?) definitely makes me think of staph.

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#3 of 9 Old 10-24-2010, 01:10 PM

I'd get it looked at tomorrow (Mon).

Kids can get impetigo on their bums if they scratch when they haven't cleaned their hands and then sort of wipe into it. You really want to get on top of it before it spreads if it is.

~ Mum to Emily, March 12-16 2004, Noah, born Aug 2005, Liam, born January 2011, and wife to Carl since 1994. ~
#4 of 9 Old 10-24-2010, 08:03 PM

My dd1 had something that sounds similar to your description.

We did end up taking her in to the doctor because it was uncomfortable for her and seemed like it was taking too long to go away (had it on/off for over 2 weeks). They did find it pretty concerning (particularly the fluid-filled bumps) and took some cultures.
It ended up not being anything real worrisome, but they had us use some antibiotic ointment on it for a few days with zinc cream and it went away very quickly with that (so, probably was an infection of some kind). I wouldn't do that without seeing someone first, though.
#5 of 9 Old 10-24-2010, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your replies. I am going to give it a couple days and see if it clears up with natural treatments. Then I might try OTC antibiotic cream before going to the dr. I prefer to avoid pharmaceuticals and especially antibiotics whenever possible. I will be watching closely, though, to make sure it isn't spreading.
#6 of 9 Old 10-25-2010, 01:33 PM

I would sanitize your diapers (either by boiling them or by adding bleach to the wash and doing two or three washes in a row) to make sure they aren't harboring germs. I've found this to be helpful in similar situations.

You could also try changing her diaper during the night. I do this when my 2.5 yo has a rash and it really helps speed up the healing - I just change her before I go to bed (about two hours after she goes to bed - she is often already wet at this point).

If you think your dd could get through the night without diapers, you could try that as well. Some children are ready for that at her age, but not all. In my own experience, sometimes a child will wet their diaper at night rather than ask to use a potty not because they couldn't avoid wetting, but because they are accustomed to using the diaper. Putting her to bed without the diaper and discussing what she should do if she feels an urge to go may be all it takes to get her night-time trained.
#7 of 9 Old 10-25-2010, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Catherine12, thanks for the ideas. I have been washing in hot water, following with a vinegar rinse, and drying on hot for a while now because ds has been fighting off a nasty bout of thrush.

I do check her diaper when I go to bed (2-3 hours after her) but these days she's always dry at that point. If she wakes up in the night we change her.

I haven't yet had luck with nighttime toileting; whenever I try to wake her up to toilet she just gets reallly upset and confused. She cries and hasn't ever peed. I've tried this numerous times starting around 8m.

I think she is just a really heavy sleeper and that's why she wets at night. I guess I could try diaperless, but I'm afraid I'd have to change her bed in the middle of the night, even with a pad, because she moves around in her sleep and wets heavily.

Anyway, thanks for the thoughts and I'll be extra vigilant about diapers.
#8 of 9 Old 10-25-2010, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnygir1 View Post
Thank you for your replies. I am going to give it a couple days and see if it clears up with natural treatments. Then I might try OTC antibiotic cream before going to the dr. I prefer to avoid pharmaceuticals and especially antibiotics whenever possible. I will be watching closely, though, to make sure it isn't spreading.
I too avoid pharmaceuticals and antibiotics. I wouldn't let that deter me from a visit to my HCP though. A solid diagnosis can help you figure out what kind of natural remedies might be most effective. In this case I would be wondering about bacterial infection vs yeast. Depending on what it was I'd treat differently.

That said, perhaps a small amount of oil of oregano diluted in coconut oil might help (it's a powerful natural antibiotic, antiviral, antifungal). You could also do a wash of half hydrogen peroxide/half water, let it sit on the skin for 5 mins or so and then rinse off. Another great natural rash-buster is propolis cream (another great anti-fungal and anti-bacterial).

You also might want to consider a) sposies for now (to avoid dipe contamination), and b) using a barrier cream (maybe Lansinoh would do the trick, or you might to use something like Desitin) at night to help protect the skin while it's healing.

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#9 of 9 Old 10-25-2010, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the great ideas.

I have just been making a paste with French green clay powder and filtered water and applying it after her morning baking soda bath and before bed. When I change her in the middle of the night (which doesn't always happen) I sprinkle some green clay powder on her bottom. It is healing up beautifully. After only one treatment I could see solid improvement. I will continue my vigilance, but I think we don't have to bother with our dr (whom we love ) this time.

I love green clay; it is so amazing!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page