Birds & bees book for 5-8yos - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 10-29-2010, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, Mamas-

Can anybody recommend a good book for 5- to 8-year-olds that explains the basics of human reproduction?

I have a 7yo son and an almost-5yo daughter. DS is a good reader; DD is an emergent reader (so would need me to read to her). They both understand that babies grow in mamas' bellies and how they get out and that breastfeeding is the normal way for babies to eat.

What I'm trying to prepare for is the inevitable question: "But how does the baby get IN there??"

I'll do my best to explain it myself, of course, but would love to have a really great book on hand too. My kids both adore books and will go back to them again and again, thinking about stuff and drawing more and more ideas from them.

TIA for any titles you can pass along!

Christine , wife of Ron , mama to Tony (4-25-03) and Maria (3-19-06) :
#2 of 15 Old 10-29-2010, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It's Not the Stork! http://www.amazon.com/Its-Not-Stork-.../dp/0763600474
#3 of 15 Old 10-29-2010, 04:14 PM

My 6 yo has been teetering on the brink of asking THE question. I've been looking for a good basic explanation book as well. So thanks!

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#4 of 15 Old 10-29-2010, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamazee View Post
Aha! That sounds just about right for us...thanks so much for the recommendation. Any others?

#5 of 15 Old 10-29-2010, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

When I checked out the "Stork" book on Amazon, I found this one as well:

http://www.amazon.com/Amazing-You-Ge...pr_product_top

Looks like this, too, might be good for my younger one. Anyone read it?

#6 of 15 Old 10-29-2010, 04:46 PM

I have a 7 year old son and soon to be 5 year old dd as well! Also find this interesting, as I'm definitely not the "talk about penises and vaginas at the dinner table" kind of mom. Wish I was, but I just can't do it. Keep the books coming!

SAHM to one moody son J hat.gif(06-27-03), one super-girly daughter M hearts.gif (02-23-06) and welcome Sophie! energy.gif(05-23-10) expecting fourth in July baby.gif

#7 of 15 Old 10-29-2010, 10:23 PM

We have the It's So Amazing book. Our kids are 6 and 8 and the 8 yo is the one who is interested in the subject. It's a good book.
#8 of 15 Old 10-29-2010, 10:59 PM

We've got "It's Not the Stork" and I think it's perfect for this age group.

I actually need to get the next one up the line, as ds is 9 and we need to start talk about puberty. I am soooo not ready for puberty!

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#9 of 15 Old 10-30-2010, 09:48 PM

we loved the "It's not the stork" !
#10 of 15 Old 10-30-2010, 11:00 PM

DD is turning 7 in a month and while I don't expect to have to cover this stuff now, I figure in at least a couple years I'll have to. She is not my bio child so I don't know when she'll start getting her period - hopefully not at age 9 1/2 like her half-sister! I was 14 and had two older sisters and sex-ed at age 10, so I knew most everything already, but with her older sister being so much older (7 years) and already 4 years into her period, this won't be stuff that she'll learn by watching her go through it first. I don't want to wait for the schools to cover it because what if she matures fast and has her period before sex-ed is offered to her? When is the right age? Should I wait for her to start asking me stuff?
#11 of 15 Old 10-30-2010, 11:21 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Personally, I think the right age is as soon as they can talk and listen. It's a long ongoing conversation, not a one-time only deal where mom and/or dad get all red in the face and act funny. It's much, much, much easier to start this convo with a younger child on an age appropriate level.

"It's Not the Stork" is a great book. It's recommended for ages 4-7, I believe. "It's So Amazing" is the next one in line and I believe that one is ages 7-9 or so. After that comes "It's Perfectly Normal".

I'm so glad I didn't wait to have a big conversation with my girls when they were in the throes of pre-adolescence and starting to get embarrassed about every little thing. I think I read "It's Not The Stork" to my girls when my older dd was 5 and dd2 was 2!

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#12 of 15 Old 10-30-2010, 11:26 PM

I agree, start early with this if you can. My dd is 7 and just started asking about things. We got the first two books in the series mentioned from the library and they were very helpful. Lots of pictures and some bits are quite detailed. I was glad we started with the first book, to give us a base of knowledge to work with. I felt bad I hadn't gotten it when dd was 4-5 instead of 7.

treehugger.gifread.gifsewmachine.gif  Mama to joy.gif 3/03 and angel3.gif 12/06, married to jammin.gif for 18 years
#13 of 15 Old 10-31-2010, 01:37 PM

Yes, what beanmama said this is an ongoing, lifetime conversation not a one time deal. My dd has been asking life type questions her whole life. She understands that animals mate to have babies, she does not know the mechanics involved but at 4 she saw a video on PBS of lions and the lions were mating she asked what they were doing "I said mating". She asked why I said for bonding and having babies. A few weeks later we were out collecting frogs at night and she said look they are mating, they are going to have babies. She is with me constantly so she has seen tampons around the house and has asked what they are for. I have explained how the woman's uterus changes throughout the month and when there is no baby growing the lining sheds each month etc... When she asked at 4 how does the baby grow in there I explained that when the tiny egg is fertilized it grows into a baby. When she asked how it was fertilized I said by sperm. For now she is satisfied by the time she is ready to ask how the sperm gets there she will have all the basic information and hopefully it won't be anymore stressful than any of the other convos we have had related to biology. I think if you are not the type of mom that talks about penises and vaginas you really need to reconsider and perhaps force yourself to because if you are not someone else will and there is a lot of bad information floating around between kids. I want to be my child's best teacher not some child on the playground.

chicken3.gifdog2.gifcat.gifenergy.gif
#14 of 15 Old 10-31-2010, 01:54 PM

When I was a kid my mom had a series of pamphlets that she would give us at various ages. I remember "A Doctor Talks to...5-8 year olds" etc. These would appear somewhat randomly with no discussion encouraged. This approach definitely made talking about body and sex stuff more awkward later. She probably had one talk with her mom, so even having a booklet is something I guess. We were both shy around the topic. I did enjoy reading the booklets, but then, I was a kid who read everything! I swiped my brother's copy of the age 13+ booklet And my babysitter filled me in on the rest when I was about 9...I want dd to be able to talk to me about anything. She has posed some sticky questions, sometimes in front of other kids (like cousins) which is hard. Each family deals with this differently.

treehugger.gifread.gifsewmachine.gif  Mama to joy.gif 3/03 and angel3.gif 12/06, married to jammin.gif for 18 years
#15 of 15 Old 11-01-2010, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

So many good responses. Thank you, everybody!

I come from a family that said NOT A WORD about sexuality. Nobody left any helpful books lying around either. Let's just say I'm determined to handle this topic differently.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page