My DD snuck candy and then got sick-how to handle tonight? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 44 Old 11-01-2010, 10:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
obviously the ToTing issue is moot now, but I definitely think you should get her a glucose tolerance test. Both diabetics and hypoglycemics often crave sugar.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#32 of 44 Old 11-01-2010, 02:33 PM

Moved to The Childhood Years

#33 of 44 Old 11-01-2010, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'd worry that a level of overindulgence that leads to sneaking and an all-night puking could have a physical cause, so I'd take her to the doctor to have her blood sugar checked and anything else the doctor thinks could cause that.

If there's no physical cause, I'd look for what emotional cause there could be for it. It just doesn't seem like "naughty behavior" so much as someone who is out of control, and being out of control is usually caused by something. I'd look for the something rather than look for a consequence.
#34 of 44 Old 11-01-2010, 03:02 PM

Is she getting enough fat? Protein helps too, but fat is the best thing for reducing sugar cravings. 3 or 4 eggs scrambled in butter to start the day could make all the difference.

Full fat yogurt, if you eat meats don't drain it and avoid lean cuts in the first place, egg salad, load regular salad with anything fatty she likes such as cheese, olives, avocado, and olive oil dressing.

And get lots of fruit into your house. Dates and raisins are especially sweet.

Besides upping the fat level of meals, make sure she's getting enough calories. An 8 year old needs around 3000 calories a day.

And, finally, consider a multivitamin. Sugar cravings are a deficiency symptom. Getting enough fat and protein (particularly if combined with veggies ) will help with boosting her nutrient intake, but particularly with kids it can be hard to get all the needed nutrients from food.
#35 of 44 Old 11-01-2010, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Great suggestions! My dd does MUCH better if she starts her day with eggs.
#36 of 44 Old 11-01-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Honey View Post
My first thought is why is she sneaking these things? Do you heavily limit them? Why is it considered "sneaking" to begin with? does she not have access to the food in the house without rules?
SO you think a child should have unfettered access to sweets? That does not seem healthy at all. Kids need boundaries and nobody NEEDS sweets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by One_Girl View Post
I suggest having her repay the people who had her over with her money, writing an apology note for stealing, and not allowing her to go over to friends houses until she can show she will not steal their things. Sneaking is a term that is too mild in this situation. She took what didn't belong to belong to her without permission after being told not to, and that is not acceptable guest behavior. I think canceling Halloween privileges is tough punishment, but it sounds like she has a long history of feeling like she has every right to just take without any concern for other people when it comes to sweets so I don't know that it is too much. If you feel like it is wrong though then it is probably not the right way to go for your family. I know that I have been tempted to take a holiday but haven't ever done it because it feels like too much.

It is hard to resist temptation as a child and what she did is totally age appropriate, especially for a child who really craves candy. I think you should label it as what it is though, sneaking is a silly mischievous behavior whereas stealing is not, and insist that she replaces anything she eats without permission with her own money. I can't imagine my child doing something like that on a continuous basis. How do you deal with her not listening to you in other situations? I think that you should treat this one the same way. Not limiting things may help, but even if you do limit things you should be able to trust that your child will not sneak into the food that is there for everyone no matter how much she wants it.

My mom was telling me about hearing Dr. Sear's talk on the radio about it being possible to retrain your taste buds. It sounds like she has a lot of access to treats and may benefit from the whole family doing away with them and retraining their taste buds together.
I agree at age 8 this is more than being sneaky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionaryMom View Post
It seems to me that you guys have sweets *a lot*. We have dessert maybe once a month, though we do have fresh fruit always available. As a pp said, it's often about re-training taste buds. I've made significant dietary changes in the past year, and now I cannot stand the taste of some things I used to eat. I did often feel I craved those things. I wonder if by having desserts all the time, you're not encouraging the habit. Perhaps if you all worked on cutting them out and then adding in whole food sweets, the problem may resolve itself. It really is at the point that none of us like most store birthday cakes & cupcakes, and trust me, DS & I both had serious cravings for sweets.

The stealing of food (in the case of her friend's house) or sneaking it (at your house) is something I'd address separately from the actual food issue.
I'd cut out desserts all together for now. Too much temptation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepster View Post
obviously the ToTing issue is moot now, but I definitely think you should get her a glucose tolerance test. Both diabetics and hypoglycemics often crave sugar.
I agree 100% with this too
#37 of 44 Old 11-01-2010, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
Is she getting enough fat? Protein helps too, but fat is the best thing for reducing sugar cravings. 3 or 4 eggs scrambled in butter to start the day could make all the difference.

Full fat yogurt, if you eat meats don't drain it and avoid lean cuts in the first place, egg salad, load regular salad with anything fatty she likes such as cheese, olives, avocado, and olive oil dressing.

And get lots of fruit into your house. Dates and raisins are especially sweet.

Besides upping the fat level of meals, make sure she's getting enough calories. An 8 year old needs around 3000 calories a day.

And, finally, consider a multivitamin. Sugar cravings are a deficiency symptom. Getting enough fat and protein (particularly if combined with veggies ) will help with boosting her nutrient intake, but particularly with kids it can be hard to get all the needed nutrients from food.
That is all wonderful advice. I don't know why it didn't first occur to me. I recently advised an adult who had strong sugar cravings that it's often cause by protein deficiency. This is a well known fact to me so I don't know why I didn't at first realize this is likely the problem with the OP's 8 year old.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#38 of 44 Old 11-01-2010, 04:40 PM

Ooo I'll second (or third?) the hypoglycemia thing, I'm hypoglycemic too, maybe that explains why I've always been a bit like your DD.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#39 of 44 Old 11-01-2010, 05:33 PM

Hi Mama,
Just skimmed a few responses, but didn't read them all. Obviously, Halloween is over, so you did what you did, but here's my two cents.
Because she puked, I would not let my child ToT, or do anything. I would treat her as if she is sick for 24 hours, because, in essence she is. Vomiting is not normal (yes, I understand she overate a ton of candy) and at this point, you do not know for sure if she is contaigious or not- you are assuming she isn't. I'd be upset if I got sick because I handed candy to your child and caught a tummy bug, or if your child got my child sick ToTing in the neighborhood. If that is part of the consequence of sneaking/stealling too much candy, then so be it. She's old enough to learn from her behaviors.
~maddymama
#40 of 44 Old 11-01-2010, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionaryMom View Post
It seems to me that you guys have sweets *a lot*. We have dessert maybe once a month, though we do have fresh fruit always available. As a pp said, it's often about re-training taste buds. I've made significant dietary changes in the past year, and now I cannot stand the taste of some things I used to eat. I did often feel I craved those things. I wonder if by having desserts all the time, you're not encouraging the habit. Perhaps if you all worked on cutting them out and then adding in whole food sweets, the problem may resolve itself. It really is at the point that none of us like most store birthday cakes & cupcakes, and trust me, DS & I both had serious cravings for sweets.

The stealing of food (in the case of her friend's house) or sneaking it (at your house) is something I'd address separately from the actual food issue.
I listed several examples, but that all happened over an extended period of time-NOT "all the time".

we have 'dessert' about 4 times a week-everyone gets one square of dark chocolate (its about a quarter of an ounce in weight) We have a 'big dessert' about 3 times a month.

I'm offended that you think I am encouraging binge eating and stealing/sneaking of food.

Heavily tattooed and Dready Mama to my girls. YES we are STILL NURSING! love to and
#41 of 44 Old 11-01-2010, 06:15 PM

DS learned to self regulate last year. We had a chocolate seder for religious school and he kept sneaking other kids chocolate. On the way home, he threw up. He couldn't stand the smell of chocolate for about 6 months and now self regulates. He's 9. I would really suggest seeing how it goes (I know somewhat moot point) to see if she has learned to self regulate before reacting.

We also do the whole, "oops, you already had your serving of dessert, I guess you get to wait until next time for more. don't worry, you can try again next time." for food stealing.

Wife to dh since 1999, stepmom to dss (13 yrs. old)jammin.gif, mom to ds (9 yrs. old)bikenew.gif, dd (7 yrs. old)bouncy.gif, and ds (4 yrs. old)sleepytime.gif
#42 of 44 Old 11-01-2010, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

i appreciate all the really helpful responses.

Here is how we handled the evening: our initial plan was to have some friends over for dinner, then TOT. We did that, and at the end of the night when I allow them to pick out a small amount of candy-she was allowed 5 pieces. We talked about how she got sick, and how that was most likely the result of her binge eating. She agreed that it was the cause of her feeling ill, and that it was a normal response for us to limit her candy more than her sisters.

I mentioned briefly to her that this is indicative of a larger impulse control issue, and she also agrees. We talk often about being healthy both physically and emotionally and they are exposed to quite a bit of learning opportunities to make healthy decisions.

we have been employing the 'nutured heart approach' here for other behavioural issues-I am hoping to start to see a change in these food based impulse issues.

Heavily tattooed and Dready Mama to my girls. YES we are STILL NURSING! love to and
#43 of 44 Old 11-02-2010, 02:32 PM

Sounds good!

But still work with her on ways to reduce sugar cravings. It was such a : moment for me last year and I really wish someone had told me ages ago.

Oh... another thing, you said the events are spread out, any chance her sugar intake increases about once a month? Cause sugar cravings are also part of PMS for many women and PMS patterns start well before menstruation.

(One last thing, although I could reduce sugar cravings by other methods, it was only possible to cut out sugar when I also cut out grains and made sure to have enough other foods available.)
#44 of 44 Old 11-02-2010, 03:03 PM

Have you looked into candida at all? If she has excess yeast, that could cause the sugar cravings.

Here's a website that talks about how to tell if you have a candida overgrowth:

http://www.nationalcandidacenter.com...f-exams/#test3

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page