Book ideas for 9-year-old girl - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 11-05-2010, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
My family is asking for present ideas for the holidays and I am trying find some new book series for dsd. She really enjoys Harry Potter and Percy Jackson and will reread this over and over again! Anything similar she might like? She loves to read, so long books with several in the series are great.

Thanks!

Single mama namaste.gif to dd dust.gifand ds fencing.gif, loving my dsd always reading.gif .
#2 of 16 Old 11-05-2010, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lloyd Alexander's Chronicles of Prydain is a terrific 5-book series. Runs rings around both HP and the Jackson series, in my opinion.
#3 of 16 Old 11-05-2010, 02:47 PM

DS and I loved Dragon Rider:
http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Rider-C.../dp/0439456959

She also wrote the Inkheart trilogy, so you should check into that as well.

We are on book two of Harry Potter, and are loving it!
-e

Momma to 8 y.o. DS and 5 y.o. DD. Married to a Maker!

#4 of 16 Old 11-05-2010, 02:54 PM

I have a nine-year-old daughter too! She really liked Percy Jackson, lukewarm on Harry Potter (I think the popularity turned her off, actually). Here are some of her current faves:

The series that begins with The Name of This Book Is Secret, Pseudonymous Bosch
A Series of Unfortunate Events
Septimus Heap series (first book is Magyk)
The Worst Witch books -- sort of proto Harry Potter, about a girl witch at boarding school
His Dark Materials series, Philip Pullman

She hasnt' read the series that begins with The Sea of Trolls, by Nancy Farmer, but those are supposed to be excellent and they're HUGE.
#5 of 16 Old 11-05-2010, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I posted earlier in a similar thread in Pre-teens and Teens. Some suggestions may work for a 9 y.o., depending on her interests, reading level and maturity.

One suggestion that I'll repeat here is the Skulduggery Pleasant series by Derek Landy.

Also:

The Mysterious Benedict Society series by Trenton Lee Stewart

The Penderwicks by Jeanne Birdsall

The City of Ember by Jean du Prau and others (I thought the others were quite weak, but the first is very good).

Also try various titles by Diana Wynne Jones or Eva Ibbotson
#6 of 16 Old 11-05-2010, 04:04 PM

My 8 yo *loves* The Warriors series. Tons of books in this series.
#7 of 16 Old 11-05-2010, 04:33 PM

Our girls really enjoyed The Fairy Realm series. I believe the author (Emily Rodda) is Australian and does a lot of writing for children and teens. We haven't looked at any of her other books yet, but I plan to.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!
#8 of 16 Old 11-05-2010, 04:45 PM

Depending on the level that you're looking for but assuming since HP was mentioned...

My 8yo dd read the 39 Clues series a while back and enjoyed it. I'm not sure how many books are in the series.

Last year she went through a Nancy Drew phase and read those. I still think those are classic for the up-to-12 girlset. She liked those a lot, but they can be formulaic with the dozens that are in the series. (dd likes fantasy/mystery/suspense, so this might not apply.)

Other ideas that have been good, but not big hits: The Guardians of Ga'Hoole and The Shadow Children (this futuristic series has some possibly disturbing/mature overtones as it deals with population control and the survival of rogue 3rd children in a world where only 2 children are allowed per family).

ETA: a book (not a series) that dd really enjoyed and read recently was The Candy Shop Wars.
#9 of 16 Old 11-05-2010, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyoxenfree View Post
Also try various titles by Diana Wynne Jones or Eva Ibbotson
Yep, my kid likes those very much.
#10 of 16 Old 11-05-2010, 07:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I recently read the Silverwing series by Kenneth Oppel to my almost-8-year old, and she loved them. (There are 3 books in the series, plus a companion book - Darkwing - that is similar but set in a different time and place.)

The May Bird series by Jodi Lynn Anderson was also a bit hit.

We also enjoyed the Inkheart and Mysterious Benedict Society series.
#11 of 16 Old 11-05-2010, 07:20 PM

Ooooh! The Dark is Rising series by Susan Cooper. Awesome books! They were written a long time ago, in the seventies, but they are great. I LOVED them when I was that age. Very cool, because the story kind of grows with the characters, much like Harry Potter.
#12 of 16 Old 11-06-2010, 02:01 PM

My dd reads anything, just like me, lol.

But she re-reads Horrible History books, Horrible Science, etc...
She like the 39 Clues series. Series of Unfortunate Events. Little House books are AWESOME for the whole family, even dh loves them.

Amee + James (1998) =
Amethyst (May 2002)
Asheby "Bear" (November 2006)
Abbott (January 2011)
Atlas (March 2013)
#13 of 16 Old 11-07-2010, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
My dd1 (9.5) is reading Harry Potter right now. She has enjoyed the Fairy Realm series in the past, but I think she's feeling a little too big for it now. She loves any Roald Dahl. Her teacher last year did a read aloud of many of them. A particular favorite was the BFG. She also enjoyed the Psedonymous Bosch books as a read aloud and The City of Ember, also. We've been listening to audio books in the car lately and she's enjoyed Igraine the Brave by Cornelia Funke (the Inkeart series, and Dragon Rider author) and The Salamander Spell (by PD Baker I believe, there are also related books by the same author). These are all fantasy, bu ther latest big favorite has been the Penderwicks by Birdsall. She's just loving that. It's realistic fiction, but with an old-fashioned feel. It's set in the current era, though.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#14 of 16 Old 11-07-2010, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Wow, thanks everyone! Have a long list now to share I know she has read a few of those and there are a couple she did not like (sadly she doesn't like nancy drew or the little house series, two of my childhood favorites!) I'm actually excited to read a few of these, lol-I enjoyed Harry and Percy too Thanks again!

Single mama namaste.gif to dd dust.gifand ds fencing.gif, loving my dsd always reading.gif .
#15 of 16 Old 11-07-2010, 09:15 PM

My 9 1/2 yo DD loves the Animorphs series.

L

ribboncesarean.gif   vbac.gif  My kids jammin.gif  

#16 of 16 Old 11-07-2010, 11:25 PM

when I was that age I LOVED the Anne of Green Gables series. I also loved some of the Frances Hodgson Burnett books (particularly A Little Princess).

I second the warriors series. My son loves that series and it is a large series. It's all about wild cats who live in clans. I read it along with him and enjoyed it even as an adult.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page