Midweek birthdays? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 11-05-2010, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For kids with birthdays that fall midweek, but there is a big party planned the following weekend - what sort of celebration do you do ON the birthday?

We will be providing a treat for his classroom that day, but not sure what to do at home in the evening. This would be just DH, DS and myself. Do we go all out with cake, ice cream, decorations and our gifts? Or just go out for a treat after dinner or something else?

We are limited on funds of course

The weekend party will include tons of family, gifts, etc and he is turning 7.

Thanks!

Rhianna
#2 of 10 Old 11-05-2010, 02:53 PM

I think it depends how old the child is... This year we will most likely send cupcakes or something to daycare or preschool (depends on which day of the week it is). We will wait to do cake,etc until the weekend party.

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

#3 of 10 Old 11-05-2010, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
We just make a bit of a fuss over the birthday kid that day. Maybe a special breakfast, or bring a balloon when I pick him up from school or something, and maybe rent a movie to watch that night. And we'll have a small after-dinner treat with a candle and sing Happy Birthday.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#4 of 10 Old 11-05-2010, 04:08 PM

When we lived near family, we would do a little celebration with them. Just dinner and cake.

We've never had a big friend party when we weren't near family, and so then we celebrated the birthday on the day.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!
#5 of 10 Old 11-05-2010, 04:38 PM

At our house it might be something like you get to pick what is for dinner, maybe fancy dishes, I make a special treat or we go out for ice cream and sing happy birthday, open presents from Mom and Dad. Maybe you get a homemade birthday hat or something like that.
#6 of 10 Old 11-05-2010, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
We do all but one present, cake, I take the day off, and we go out to eat together and have a special day doing stuff dd wants to do.
#7 of 10 Old 11-05-2010, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Ok these are great ideas! I like the ideas to make the whole day special by cooking a favorite meal, watching a dvd or activity, homemade hat, meet him at school with a baloon...

This is the same stuff I like as an adult LOL

You guys are the best!

Rhianna
#8 of 10 Old 11-05-2010, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We always bring something to pass out at school, and we go out to dinner at the child's favorite spot, and we give her the present from us that day so she has something to open actually on her birthday.
#9 of 10 Old 11-05-2010, 08:48 PM

We do a cake and presents on the actual birthday. The birthday person also gets to pick a favorite dinner.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mom to Kira March 2009
#10 of 10 Old 11-05-2010, 10:11 PM

We have my mom over for dinner and the birthday kid gets to pick dinner and we have a small dessert. Birthday gifts from us and my mom are given. We're still new to the school thing, but we'll be taking cookies (I think) for her class to enjoy on her birth day. (It's a sugary week for the class! Dd's birthday is on Monday, another girls birthday is on Wednesday and yet another on Saturday, so bringing a treat on Friday!)

Mama of three.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page