*May 06 Mamas NEW thread!* - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 54 Old 11-09-2010, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok ecoteat, I figured I would take your suggestion and start a new thread, lol! We are doing well here, so far no major illnesses (knock on wood) and Alayna is doing great! Starting to gear up for Christmas (really??!!), can't belive that is just around the corner.

Max- I hope things work out for you all, mama. Continuing to keep you in my prayers.

ecoteat- That is hilarious about Phoebe changing her mind! Alayna had picked out a Superwoman costume at Goodwill, but last mintue decided to be a ladybug from last year. Worked out well for us!

Mamabeakley- Anything new with trying to sell the house? How is the job??

Busy Mama to three beautiful girls and loving wife to my hubby
#2 of 54 Old 11-11-2010, 07:48 AM

Hey mamas!

We're hanging in here. Busy with the magazine stuff, plus taking on a new position (still volunteer), plus teaching 3 English classes, plus a new blog (link in profile, for those who aren't already FB friends wink1.gif).

Life is great aside from the fact that it's been raining for a week and we all have cabin-fever.

Max, am thinking of you all. I hope you're ok.

Amy, great to hear about your costumes! Sounds like you had a lot of fun.

Sydnee, I am always so blown away by everything you do. I wish I had your organization!!

MB, hope the commuting is going ok.

Hugs to all!

#3 of 54 Old 11-12-2010, 11:15 AM

Oooh, la la.  New platform for MDC!

Sydnee, nothing new on our house.  The problem is not us or the house - it's the HOA, which has to get its act in gear or Fannie Mae will not allow any mortgages to be written in our Co-op.  There may (or may not) be progress on this by January . . . sigh.  For right now we are still driving back and forth each week.  The job is fine, though.

Baby is sleeping - must get stuff done - but just wanted to check in!

Here as mama to W (2/04), R (5/06), D (7/09), and J (12/9/12!), co-parenting with my DH

I WOH part-time, am a doula & childbirth educator, home/unschool, and hope we are nearing the center of chaos

#4 of 54 Old 11-13-2010, 04:15 PM

Hey mamas! Not much going on here (for which I am grateful). It's snowing and it looks rather peaceful. Right now we're getting ready to go to a birthday party.

Orion was a boxer for Halloween (not that he knows much about boxing!). Originally he wanted to be a "Vampire Bat SuperHero" but I couldn't find a bat costume for a 4 yr old boy to save my life(it was mostly Grim Reaper/Axe Murderer get-ups). We went to a party at a friend's house and then we went to the community center, but their party was nothing like the past few years (cake-walk, costume contest, locals)--instead it was jam-packed with people from town(I live in the rural outskirts of Fairbanks, I guess it could be called the 'burbs if the 'burbs were full of mushers, hippies, sourdoughs and dry cabins!) and it wasn't fun. Not at all. There were only 2 activities and that was it. So we left after 5 minutes. I was going to be a 20s starlet but I lost my dress at the last minute so I wasn't anything.

In about 3 weeks, we're heading back to Vermont for the holidays. It'll be the last time for awhile that we'll get to go out for so long, so we hope to make the most of it! Hugs to all :)

SAHM to my wonderful constellationwild.gif 5/2006 & northern light bouncy.gif1/2009 fly-by-nursing1.giffambedsingle2.gifslingboy.gif
#5 of 54 Old 11-14-2010, 02:41 PM

Hello!

I pop in here every now and then!! I can't believe my big girl will be 4.5 on the 17th! My small girl turned two yesterday - oh where is the time going!!

Nothing too exciting going on. Just busy as usual and still home schooling!

banana.gif

#6 of 54 Old 11-15-2010, 06:37 PM

Phoebe was so difficult this evening and I'm recovering from it right now! She had preschool, came home had a snack, and took her normal nap (yes, she still naps 2-3 hours every day!). Usually she naps 4-6:30 on preschool days and goes to bed at 9:30. Today she woke up from her nap at 5:30 and was an insufferable grump. She whined and screamed and cried and was clingy from the moment she woke up from her nap until I started to lose my head just before bedtime. Well, except for when I wasn't in the room and she was with dh. Then she was just fine--laughing, conversing nicely, having fun. I thought I was going to scream. It was so maddening. I'm glad she went to bed on a happier, sweeter note.

The first part of today was so fun for her, though--she went around telling everyone that she was four AND A HALF today. She's delighted. She said she feels different now that she's 4.5, like she's older or something. And she really is! This week she started really taking a serious interest in letters. We can't spell things in front of her anymore as a means of her not knowing what we are talking about. We opened the Starfall can of worms and she loves it and asks to play it every day. It's hard to say no to 10-15 minutes of screen time when she loves learning about letters so much! I'm excited for her that she'll probably go to my school for kindergarten next year and for the first time this month that thought doesn't scare me. Ah, talking about how great Phoebe is is already making me feel better about what a turd she was this evening. love.gif

Mama Beakley, what a pain that the whole house process is such a drawn-out thing. I hope it resolves soon!

Phoebe, what a bummer about the disappointing Halloween party. I am wondering what sourdoughs and dry cabins, are, though! How long will you be in Vermont? I can't believe we are into "The Holidays" already! I am pleased with myself that I've already finished knitting my sister's scarf and my dad's hat and I have the tops almost pieced for doll quilts for Phoebe and my niece. I'm also thinking ahead and will get envelopes for Christmans cards and supplies for an Advent calendar this weekend, instead of rushing to do it at the last minute!

Max, any progress with the business? DH started up a new business on the side a few months ago for when he has research projects coming in that don't go through his university. It makes my head spin how complicated setting up the accounting bit is. But I'm relieved that we'll have an accountant do all our taxes this year! I've been using TurboTax the last few years, which is fine, but I never feel like I'm doing it right.

Mary, you sound busy! I'm off to check out your blog...

#7 of 54 Old 11-17-2010, 06:08 AM

Can you all believe our LOs are four and a half??? DS has been pestering me since about a month after his fourth birthday about when he'd be four and a half. Well, it happened on the twelfth. He's so excited about it that he checks every day to make sure it's still true. Too funny, and so strange to think we have such big kids!

Amy, we have turd-y moments here, too, from time to time. And wow, what naps Phoebe takes! Lucky you!

Alaskaberry, are you doing NaNoWriMo this year? What about you, Sydnee?

It's a rare quiet moment over here. In about an hour three four year olds will show up for their English lesson. I'll be talking to them about Thanksgiving and we'll be making turkeys. Lol.

#8 of 54 Old 11-17-2010, 07:00 PM

Mary, the naps are pretty wonderful, but I'm already starting to worry about next school year a little. She's had the exact same sleeping schedule/routine for well over 2 years. There is going to have to be a pretty big shift before next September, but ideally it wouldn't happen until after June, since DH depends on those naps so he can work while I'm at school and Phoebe is asleep! In a perfect world she'd naturally start to drop that nap and go to bed earlier in July so we could firmly establish the new routine before school starts. I can't even wrap my head around getting her and me out the door by 7:30 every morning. Right now she often wakes up at 7:30! And we love our family time in the evening after dinner before we start bedtime around 8:45. She'll have to be asleep by 6:30 to get the same amount of sleep she gets now! Most nights we don't eat until 6:30.

Also, Mary, I enjoyed reading your blog posts! I'm looking forward to poking around that website more--it looks pretty interesting.

I have mountains of schoolwork to do and I'm procrastinating. I MUST get off MDC! (And convince myself that Facebook is not a better use of my time!)

#9 of 54 Old 11-18-2010, 05:20 PM

Hello May Mamas. I just found this thread, and the new forum! Going to have to reaquaint myself around here.

We are all doing well. Thank you all so much for keeping us in your thoughts. The court battles are over. We've signed the final agreement and dh can finally move forward with his business plan. Now, it is just a matter of getting the business started. We are finally optimistic again. And I cannot even say how much all of your support has meant to me. You mamas are the best!

Four and a half - it blows my mind! Sometimes when I am volunteering in the big kids' school, w/LO along side of me, I just cannot believe that next year she will be in kindergarten. Four and a half also means that we all have been together over 5 years, counting the DDC. That is also mind blowing, and amazing!

Sydnee, I am so glad to hear that Alayna is doing well. Was there ever a final diagnosis of what was going on for her?

Amy, that will be so awesome having Phoebe at your school. I am sure it will present it's own special challenges, but I think the good will far outweigh any bad.

Phoebe, have a great trip to Vt. I hope you have some really nice ime w/your family.

Mamab, I'm :fingersx for you that the troubles w/your HOA get resolved. How are you liking the new job?

Mary, so nice to hear from you! I've missed you. You sound super busy w/all your writing. I have lost track of your blog, but plan to catch up again. I really enjoy your writing. You are talented my friend.

kgianforti, nice to see you back.

Have a wonderful night all. :blowkiss

Happy mama of four Wild Things
"And now," cried Max "let the wild rumpus begin!"
#10 of 54 Old 11-20-2010, 07:22 AM

Hi, everybody!

I feel bad - I totally missed DS2's 4-&-a-half birthday, after making kind of a big deal out of DS1's 6-&-a-half earlier in the year.  But, DS1's is easier for me to remember because it's the day after my mom's birthday.  But he IS 4 1/2 just the same!  He's getting more logical, also is interested in Starfall, and loves to count things.  I think he has a little bit of an issue with verbal expression - I know he basically knows his letters and numbers, but has a hard time saying "that's a "A" or whatever, and asks, "What comes after 4?" EVERY time, even though he really knows it's 5.  But I think he will probably grow out of it, eventually.  He is such a morning person - and is so happy when his sister plays with him in the morning (DS1 is NOT a morning person and it's always been a source of conflict between the brothers.)  I'm excited that he's getting a new carseat next week!  DD grew out of her infant seat (it's a Graco SafeSeat which is designed to last past a year - she's almost 16 months) and will be getting DS2's old seat (Britax Boulevard), and he'll be in a Britax Frontier 85, in Cowmooflauge!  thumb.gif  I wish they had these when DS1 outgrew his Britax Marathon - DS2 should be able to stay in 5-point for another year or more and then use it as a belt-positioning booster till he's 8.  It's expensive but with the amount of time we spend in the car (at least 10 hours a week at this point) it's totally worth it.

I am feeling down about our commuting/non-selling house/etc. today, but am turning it over and trying to get on with my job, which is for the most part going very well and which I enjoy.  I think Saturdays are hard because I'm leaving everybody at my mom's house and going off by myself.  I get lonely, and everything about our living situation feels worse.  There really isn't anything I can do about it today except let it go, though, so I will.  The one thing that's changing now is that DH's 5-day-a-week work season is ending, which is going to be a relief as far as the commute is concerned (we've been driving separately so he and I could both work, in different cities, on Mondays).  But it's a bit scary financially.  Winter is the slow season for his work and his income and I just don't have any flexibility in earnings right now since I can't teach or doula living in two different cities every week.  And the bills don't slow down at this time of year at all.

Max, I'm so pleased that your DH's business thing worked out.  Good luck as you move forward!  And thank you for pointing out that we've been part of this group for 5 years.  Wow!

Ecoteat, I bet Phoebe will change her sleep schedule in a way that will work for everyone without too much effort.  I remember how I thought DS1 would NEVER night wean and he did it by himself with no input from me at exactly 2 years old.  They have their own schedules I I bet somewhere right around the 5th birthday there is a change in how much sleep is needed . . .

Here as mama to W (2/04), R (5/06), D (7/09), and J (12/9/12!), co-parenting with my DH

I WOH part-time, am a doula & childbirth educator, home/unschool, and hope we are nearing the center of chaos

#11 of 54 Old 11-24-2010, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Hi mamas!  I want to hop on quick and wish you all a wonderful Thanksgiving tomorrow!  I am SO thankful to have each and every one of you in my life:)  I am cooking here tomorrow, but it's only us, and my Mom and Step Dad, so not a whole housefull.  I made the pumpkin pie, bread crumbs for the stuffing, mashed potatoes and jello salads so far.  Feeling pretty on top of things (so far, lol) for now.  We are having a small winter storm roll through right now, but not a whole lot of accumulation.

Have a WONDERFUL day mamas!!

#12 of 54 Old 11-24-2010, 07:51 PM

Sydnee, Happy Thanksgiving to you! (And everyone else too!) I'm waiting to take my maple-nutmeg cream pie out of the oven and it smells SO good. The pecan pie and banana cream are done. The squash is peeled and cubed. The rolls' dough is overflowing in the fridge--I should go punch it down before I go to bed if I don't want it to expand to fill the whole fridge! In the morning I'll make the mashed potatoes and rolls and roast the squash. And harvest the chard and prep and cook it. We go do dh's cousins' house and there will be 9 of us. They don't eat land animals, so we have scallops instead of turkey. His cousin also makes this surprisingly amazing baked tofu dish as her husband's entree--he can't eat potatoes, flour, dairy, or a lot of other things, so he gets some special things. We are all really looking forward to a fun day tomorrow. :)

#13 of 54 Old 11-25-2010, 03:22 PM

Happy Thanksgiving to all my May Mama friends. I hope you all had a wonderful day and special time w/your families. :love

#14 of 54 Old 11-27-2010, 07:40 AM

Happy Thanksgiving, everybody!

We had a lovely time with my BFF's family, since this was the one weekend we could NOT have to drive to my family 3 hours away.  More kid friendly there, anyway.  My family went to my grandparent's retirement home and since my uncle is a vegetarian who is offended by being around meat, they have lasagne (I love lasagne, but we are not vegetarians and I like turkey.)  It's not an easy place to entertain 3 kids for hours and hours, whereas my BFF's parents have a big house with stairs (DD's favorite thing!) and a playground in the square in front of their house and a lake to walk to.

Okay, I'm going to fix my signature and stuff.  I haven't had time to deal with the new platform yet!

#15 of 54 Old 11-30-2010, 12:26 PM

Hello all. How's everybody doing? We are all well here. We've had our run of childhood illnesses the past few weeks - bronchitis, ear infection, and an alarming case of poison ivy turned impetegio for ds. Everyone is well now thank goodness. Dh is off today on his first official day of making sales calls. Please keep us in your thoughts & prayers as his new business finally is able to get started. (We are still in the process of the legal battle, not sure where that is going at this point, but we are able to move forward finally.)

How are everybody's holiday preparations coming along?

Hope you all are well.

#16 of 54 Old 11-30-2010, 12:50 PM

Speaking of naps and sleeping schedules...whose LO's still nap and for how long or when did they stop napping? My big girl dropped napping when she was about 27 months. She goes to bed between 9pm and 9:30 and wakes up around 6:30am. privateeyes.gif

We all have colds right now. Ugh.

#17 of 54 Old 11-30-2010, 03:44 PM

Well, Phoebe's napping right now. I actually need to go wake her up! On Thanksgiving we tried keeping her up to see how she would handle it. At 7:00 when she was CRASHING she told me she did NOT like missing her nap. So naps it is. I'm working on prepping the Advent calendar tonight. It's fun that this year she knows how it works and what to expect and is putting in requests for activities to be in it. It's interesting to learn which activities she remembers from last year and is looking forward to--simple things like a candlelit bubblebath and having breakfast for dinner! Max, it's great to hear that things are moving forward with the business! If there's any chance we are going to make it to the grocery store tonight I need to get off my butt and get Phoebe moving! Have a lovely evening!
#18 of 54 Old 12-01-2010, 11:29 AM

Thanks Amy.  :) Dh made his first sale today!

Kgianforti, no naps for us any longer. It has been well over a year since we dropped the afternoon nap. LO was just staying up way too late at night when she slept during the day. Now she goes to bed at 7pm and wakes around 6:30-7:00am.  

#19 of 54 Old 12-01-2010, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Hi mamas!  We had a wonderful Thanksgiving!  We had my mom and her husband over for dinner, so very small, but oh so enjoyable!  I am absolutely in my element while entertaining, lol!I am in full Christmas mode right now.  The girls were very excited to start the advent tree today, I still can't believe that December is here already.  My shopping is 75% done, cards have been sent, so now it's just figuring out when we will do the baking.  And of course throwing in all the crafts that go along with Christmas.

I have a brand new baby (7 weeks) that started on Monday, and (*knock on wood*) he has really adjusted well.  This is the youngest baby I have ever had, they typically don't start until about 3 months.  Quite an adjustment to being back in baby mode!  Although I am loving snuggling him in my sling.  The other kids have adjusted well, I actually thought they would be all over him, but they don't really pay much attention to him so far.

Max-  Yay on the sale!!!!  I have been praying for you guys

ecoteat-  Your Thanksgiving meal sounds wonderful!  I think Thanksgiving is my favorite meal, lol.

kgianforti-  No naps here, it's been about a year and a half since she has napped.  Once in a blue moon she will nap, but not very often.  She goes to bed around 8:30-9:00 and gets up around 6:30-7:00.  She is one that doesn't need much sleep, lol.

#20 of 54 Old 12-05-2010, 10:06 AM

No naps for us, except occasionally if we're in the car and DS2 is really tired.  I'm really grateful for that, actually, because I remember that one of the most stressful things for me about DS2's infancy was trying to juggle DS1's naps and DS2's naps, which rarely coincided.

Max, congrats on your DH's sale!  That's wonderful.  May there be many more.

Sydnee, how fun to have a little baby around!  I saw that the pregnant mom at the church I work at had her baby this week or last - she had a VERY tiny newborn snuggled up in a pouch on her chest today.  I didn't get a chance to greet her but . . . sweet!  I don't have baby lust . . . yet . . . but they are so darling.  

I'm happy to say that another family at the church where I work just announced they are expecting their 4th child in the spring.  I'm happy because I know I DO want a 4th eventually (like, TTC in about a year or so) and I kind of worry about people's reactions.  It's very much a 2 is normal, 3 is acceptable, any more than that you're crazy kind of culture, I think.  So I'm glad not to be the outlier as a professional staff member!

This was a hard week for us, mostly because DD got an ear infection.  My kids always get lots of colds, but I think this may be the first time any of them have gotten a secondary infection.  I waited 5 days before taking her to the Dr. but she really needed the abx I think, since it wasn't resolving on its own.  I think this is only the 2nd time any of my kids have been on abx (the other time was for an abscess on DS2's foot.)  She's feeling much better, but it was a challenging few days with a very cranky toddler.

I am trying to get things in gear for Christmas.  I went shopping BY MYSELF this week, mostly for clothes for myself (I had 3 work outfits, all of which I am sick of, so I needed some new things) but also looked for little gifts for the kids and cousins.  Christmas cards are underway - but the boys said they wanted to help make them and then keep doing a little bit and getting bored.  Maybe if things are calmer this week I will begin to feel not totally overwhelmed by the whole holiday spirit!

Hope you are well :-)

#21 of 54 Old 12-07-2010, 05:16 PM

Well, we are in VT for the holidays now! Orion is very excited. Luckily the kids both slept for both flights...aaah. Peace! We have been here for 2 1/2 days and it's been a very relaxing vacation so far. The Christmas tree is drying out on the porch and I'm hoping to make it to a family-friendly Solstice celebration (if one can be found). Knitting like crazy here, trying to finish presents.

kgianforti--no naps since around 2.5 yrs. Sometimes he'll take one in the car after a long day of playing hard, but that's very rare.

MamaB--I know four people with 7+ kids. So I don't think 4 kids is odd at all! Actually it sounds very exciting. I have major baby cravings for a #3, but DP is done. :(

Max--congrats to your DH!!

ecoteat--sorry I never got back to you this summer about Maine. It was an insanely busy trip. My brother was in Bar Harbor but now he might be moving to Portland (or back to CA), although he is in VT right now.

Sydnee--That is very cool. I love little babies. My ds2 would be all over her (he's 20m and he *loves* babies). I would like to open my own home daycare when Orion goes to 1st grade.

SAHM to my wonderful constellationwild.gif 5/2006 & northern light bouncy.gif1/2009 fly-by-nursing1.giffambedsingle2.gifslingboy.gif
#22 of 54 Old 12-14-2010, 02:31 PM

Hi Everyone! Just popping in to Say HAPPY HOLIDAYS!  love.gif I don't think i've posted in well over a year but Its always nice to come read how everyone is doing!!

~Jaclyn~ Mama to Lucas Wyatt born 5-3-06
#23 of 54 Old 12-28-2010, 01:20 PM

Hello everyone. Merry Christmas - Happy Hanukah - Happy Everything!!!

How are all my May Mamas doing? I hope everyone is well and enjoying the holidays. We are all well here. Finally over the string of illnesses we were having. Dh's work is still an enormous stressor, but we are dealing. We are finding a lot of strength through our faith, which is really pulling us through.

Ducky, so nice to see you back!! How's life w/you & yours?

Amy, are you snowed in? We got about a half a foot. Enough to have lots of fun sledding, but not enough to cause any problems.

Sydnee, hey friend! Are you getting a little vacation from daycare over the holidays?

Mary, how is Paris these days? Any travel plans? And how is the in-law situation lately? We haven't hear any stories lately. I hope they are behaving nicely.

Mamab, how is your new job going? Any luck w/selling your house?

Alaskaberry, are you still in Vt? I have been watching Sarah Palin's Alaska show and it makes me think of you. (The footage of course, not Sarah!!)

kgianforti, have you worked out the nap situation? I hope it is all working out for you.

Big hugs to you all. Any New Year's plans or resolutions folks want to share?

#24 of 54 Old 12-30-2010, 08:16 PM

Max, I was just coming here to look for the thread and say hi! I miss my May mamas!

We are recovering from Christmas! It was really lovely and happy, but our schedules are so out of whack and Phoebe is overwhelmed by it all. She COMPLETELY fell apart at bedtime today, after a busy day of friends and a babysitter while dh and I went out to dinner. She didn't have much mama time at all. I also wonder if she coming down with chicken pox. She was exposed on the 13th, but my friends' kid was on the tail end of it and mostly crusted over. If spots showed up tomorrow that would be great, actually, because then we'd have three days of dealing with that while it was still vacation. But if it didn't take from that exposure, she took a bath with some other pox-y kids 2 days ago. So we'll see. Have any of your kids had CP? Or have you vaxed for it? Our community is going nuts over it--we all have calendars marking when our kids were exposed to whom and who got it from where, etc. I'm also loving how very mainstream pro-vax people are just expecting we'll expose Phoebe on purpose--with no judgement, just like that's the expected thing to do. We'll see what my principal says when I'm calling in sick, though!

Jackie! Nice to see you! How's Lucas? How have you been?

Phoebe, how much longer will you be in VT? Are you having a wonderful time?

Another question for everyone--what was your kid's favorite Christmas present? Was it what you expected? Phoebe is loving this game: http://www.amazon.com/Can-Do-That-Games-01017/dp/B002V3RCE6, but for as much as she begged for one, I am surprised she isn't more excited about the doll crib she got (along with a little mattress, pillow, and quilt I made her!). She also loves her new yoga mat and this video: http://www.amazon.com/Gaiam-Kids-Yogakids-Fun-Collection/dp/B000AYELBK/. She does yoga just about every day. It's the cutest thing. :)

#25 of 54 Old 12-31-2010, 10:00 AM

Amy, last year I gave my kids yoga mats & that same video! They have really enjoyed it!!!

Their favorite gifts were ipods for the older set, zhu zhu pets & pillow pets for all. They have all been playing so well together w/their new stuff. It's been great.

#26 of 54 Old 01-01-2011, 09:28 AM

Happy New Year, May Mamas!

We've been on a really late schedule this week, so all THREE kids stayed up to see the ball drop.  We had a quiet (well, not quiet with three kids, but peaceful) party at my BFF's house.  Then drove home to go to bed, and didn't wake up until 9:30 or so this morning.  Then off to my mom's apartment so I can go to work in that city again, tonight.

So nothing has changed about our house, and my job is still a lot of fun and rewarding.  I am definitely missing the opportunity to do much directly relating to birth/doula stuff, though.

Our Christmas was a bit more hectic and crazy than we wanted.  My grandfather fell early in the week, was in the hospital, and then went home but had to return to the hospital Christmas morning.  Also, my dad, who usually does Christmas Eve, wanted to see us on Christmas this year so we ended up going two different places and I took on a lot of my mom's hostessing role because she was running around trying to get things for my grandfather and my grandmother, who has Alzheimers'.  By evening, if I were a person who drinks, I would have wanted one!

My May Babe's favorite Christmas present was a pair of remote control cars (small, about 8") my brother sent - very fun!  Especially at my mom's where there is a long indoor hardwood floor hallway.  He's also enjoying the roller skates Santa brought.  DD enjoyed opening all of her presents a LOT and enjoys playing with most of them, and DS1 also loved the cars and his roller blades.

We've never emphasized Santa, but DS2 (May babe) was a firm believer until this year.  DS1 has always been a skeptic ;-)  On Christmas morning, DS2 asked me, "Is Santa really real?"  I said, "No, there isn't really a person who does all that stuff."  "And he doesn't fly." said DS2 (somewhat sad sounding) "But you know what the good thing about that is?" I said.  "It means that when you grow up (or maybe even sooner) YOU can be Santa."  "YEAAAAAAH!" said DS2.  I was so happy the conversation went that way - it MADE my Christmas, for sure.

#27 of 54 Old 01-17-2011, 01:50 PM

Hey May Mamas!! How's everyone doing? Have you all gotten snow? We had about a foot, but we're ready for more!energy.gifWe just love the snow around here. W/dh working from home, when it snows no one has to go anywhere, so we can just settle in & enjoy.  

#28 of 54 Old 01-21-2011, 10:27 AM

Where is everyone?

We are in the middle of ANOTHER snowstorm. :) I think we have a foot already and there's a lot more to come. Which is a good thing school's cancelled anyway, because this would have been the fourth day this week I called in sick. My whole family has had the most horrible flu this week. I have never been so sick in my life. I'm on the other end of it now, but I still feel terrible. At least I don't feel like I'm dying like I did Wednesday! Phoebe is always the healthiest among us--the last to come down with something and the first to recover, which is a challenge when dh and I are both terribly sick and she is bored and needs someone to play with her before she goes stir-crazy.

Max, how are things coming along with the new business?

Mama Beakley, any helpful info in regards to your house and HOA?

Oven's beeping... I'm so happy I can finally do things in the kitchen without feeling like falling over, I made rolls and meatballs. Time for lunch!

#29 of 54 Old 01-21-2011, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Hi mamas!

We have had the sickies here too this week:(  rachel has been down and out with a fever since Monday.  The highest it has gotten was 102, so nothing too horrible.  She is doing well, and I *think* we are finally on the mend.  Emma also had the fever on Monday, and Alayna had it the previous week.  Hoping that Brad and I stay healthy!

ecoteat-  Feel better!  I don't know what I would do if I got sick:(  Enjoy your snow storm!  It's snowing right now, and this mornings temp was -28!  Crazy...

max-  How are you all?  How is hubby's job?  I still pray for your family:)

Have a great weekend everyone! 

#30 of 54 Old 01-22-2011, 10:52 AM

We are . . . sick, too!  DH got a stomach bug Monday night, DD and I got it Thursday, DS2 threw up a little this morning but so far seems okay since then, DS1 hasn't had it yet.  We all seem to be recovering okay but had to make the trip to my mom's last night and so that's kind of extra stressful.  I feel really mean because they all came to work with me today so DD can nurse since she's not really eating anything due to her tummy hurting.  And DS2 kept coming to my office and talking to me and I just had to take him out to his dad and say he can't come in anymore because I totally can't think with him in here.  :-(

Bah.  Nothing new with our house . . . yet.  It's possible something will change in about mid-February . . . or not.

My SIL is about to have a baby!  That's fun, or at least it will be.  I am kind of dreading her birth - she's an OB/GYN resident, she has GD, and she WILL be induced by 39 weeks at the very latest.  I can't help but see this as a possible recipe for disaster, but there's naught I can do about it at this point. Some things you can't learn except by pickin' that cat up and swingin' it by the tail . . . .  Anyway, that means there'll be a new cousin for my kids by February 4 or so.

Have fun in the snow . . . 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page