5year old boy Christmas toy ideas - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 11-13-2010, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

looking for ideas for independent play since everything we(and the relatives)  have so far for christmas morning involves parent help (games, science kit, lego kit). We have a lot of playmobil already. Anyone have any race car track suggestions? He wants a robot-not sure where to find that. He likes dogs, robots, rockets, space shuttle, hot air balloons, building type activities with blocks etc, playmobil- not really into pirates or dinosaurs or super heros or anything scary really.

#2 of 13 Old 11-13-2010, 10:37 AM

This is not really answering your question, but I couldn't help but post to suggest Pitchcar, when I read that you're interested in race car track suggestions. Of course it's not exactly "independent play" (though you can play it by yourself), but it's a really really great game!

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#3 of 13 Old 11-13-2010, 11:15 AM

I would go for remote control car rather than racetrack, myself. Ds has this one and really likes it:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001UESI7M/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00007JNW3&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1HKFA6KWDFGP6YS6WHXT

Momma to 8 y.o. DS and 5 y.o. DD. Married to a Maker!

#4 of 13 Old 11-13-2010, 12:45 PM

I just got ds (5) a Hotwheels Track Pack from Toys R Us. It was the most basic matchbox type racetrack I could find that had basic tracks like my brothers used to play with. I got a couple of extra curve and intersection tracks. He's never had anything for his matchbox cars and I'm hoping it will focus the play on the track and not slamming them across my kitchen floor.

He's also getting krinkle blocks or what I've seen called bristle blocks. He might be a little old for them but he loves to build and I found them as a whole set at the thrift store.

He's sharing a play tunnel with his little brother. He plays with these like crazy whenever he goes to visit his cousins.

I'd consider a remote control car if we had the floor space to play. But I would make sure it has good features. We got cheap Cars remote cars which were great when he was 3. But since they automatically run backwards until you push the remote forward, they are a bit boring for him now.

Ds has been asking for more Legos, but we'll see if his grandparents send him Christmas money because I've topped my budget for ds this year. Does your ds need a lot of help with Legos? Ds may not always build them the way the package intended, but he comes up when some pretty creative things on his own.

Toys get so darn expensive at this age don't they!

#5 of 13 Old 11-13-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyMommaToo View Post

I would go for remote control car rather than racetrack, myself. Ds has this one and really likes it:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001UESI7M/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00007JNW3&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1HKFA6KWDFGP6YS6WHXT

Oh funny... I was just coming back to this thread to suggest the same thing.  I know you guys already have a bunch of Playmobil, and I was going to suggest getting one of the Playmobil vehicles that can be converted to a remote control vehicle.  My ds has the firetruck (which he loves!) and we are going to get him the conversion set for Christmas.  :)

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#6 of 13 Old 11-13-2010, 05:25 PM

All my kids have loved this rocket:

http://www.geniusbabies.com/lift-off-rocket-international-playthings.html

It is well made and offers a lot for creative play.  My five year old creates elaboritive stories with the astronauts visiting different planets.   My two year old just likes to make it blast off.  It is one of our most played with toys.

#7 of 13 Old 11-13-2010, 07:47 PM

Not a small price tag, but this rocket looks pretty darn cool.

#8 of 13 Old 11-14-2010, 07:51 PM

how about a slotcar track? I remember them being lots of fun when I was a kid.

Mom to Morgan 4-3-06 and announcing Baby Kelsey 4-11-10
#9 of 13 Old 11-15-2010, 08:29 AM

My five year old does like superheroes, pirates, knights and such, but he also likes to build with blocks, make things out of clay and has an interst in science.  I got him some of these citiblocs as one of his xmas gifts.  http://www.amazon.com/CitiBlocs-Wooden-Building-Blocks-Imagine/dp/B0041EKTEI/ref=sr_1_6?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1289838215&sr=1-6

They look like they'll be more fun and a bit more "grown-up" up than the blocks that we already have. 

Marie-Mom to two boys and a girl.
#10 of 13 Old 11-15-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianojazzgirl View Post

Not a small price tag, but this rocket looks pretty darn cool.

That IS really cool.  My almost 5yo would flip for that.  He really wants this: http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=imaginext+space+shuttle+and+tower&wrapid=tljp1289861433230030&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=7074595716235165829&ei=P7nhTPqFMYG4sAPAwp2iCw&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=image&resnum=3&sqi=2&ved=0CDwQ8gIwAg#

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
#11 of 13 Old 11-15-2010, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Citiblocks are awesome! We have some-I got them on clearance at our Toys R Us this summer. We have R/C cars already. LOVE that pricey Kidcraft Rocket-WISH we had enough in our budget to cover that one! NOw he REALLY WANTS a robot.....hmmmmm......I guess I had better get looking online for that one!

#12 of 13 Old 11-15-2010, 04:55 PM

My children have loved Lincoln Logs.
Legos.
I can't for the life of me think of the name of them but these little ant things that are disconnected and you put em together to make em mismatch and stuff.
#13 of 13 Old 11-15-2010, 05:01 PM

We have a couple of the Matchbox Mega Rig sets (the Space Shuttle set and a Coast Guard set) that have been played with A LOT here.  They seem to be among the first to come out when my son has buddies over too (esp the Space Shuttle). You can sometimes find them at Costco this time of year.  They're nice little toys and the pieces are interchangeable with the other sets. 

Wife to a great DH, SAHM to 3 great kids

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page