Good nintendo ds game for a 5 year old? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-15-2010, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Our almost 8 year old already has lego star wars, lego batman, super mario bros. and toy story ds games.  We're getting a ds for our 5 year old this xmas and I'm wondering what games would be good for his age (just beginning to read a little bit).

Marie-Mom to two boys and a girl.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2010, 10:04 AM

Mario Kart.  It's one of the few that our 4.5 year old can play well.  Some of the others just frustrate him.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:05 AM

my 5 yo nephew loves mario party and spongebob squarepants ds games!  he really loves the games that correspond with movies or tv shows he's a fan of (e.g., the spongebob game...there's also a ds game that has the characters from the movie madagascar).  he also likes the petz series (which involve taking care of virtual pets).  there are so many...it is difficult to choose!  my fiance and i are thinking of getting him some educational ds games for christmas...i've seen some math and spelling games -- but not sure if they'll compete in the 'fun factor' with the other games!

Old 11-15-2010, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.  Our 5 year old plays the lego games on his brother's ds.  He doesn't do as well as his brother, but doesn't seem frustrated by it at all.  I've been debating on Mario Kart since it's part of the bundle that I keep seeing.  I had my brother get the boys Mario Kart for the Wii.  Not sure if it makes sense to have it for Wii and ds.  I just came across a Scooby Doo game that he might like.  He does like the movie/tv tie-ins..

Marie-Mom to two boys and a girl.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:53 AM

I have an 8 yr old and a 5 yr old, both boys.  Both love Mario Kart and Animal Crossing.  My 5 yr old has a harder time with Animal Crossing, but loves it just the same.  I just had to set up his person and work for the store owner, then he took over.  My 5 yr old also really likes Monster Jam, the original one.  We have a Petz game and neither boy will touch it.  We also have Scribblenauts which my 8 yr old loves and my 5 yr old wants to play but it is still too much reading etc.  Mario Kart is probably the one game my 5 yr old plays the most.  

User Tag List