What is on your 5 year old girl Christmas list this year? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-17-2010, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

"Christmas is coming the goose is getting fat ":)..

Would love to hear from parents of other 5 year old girls what is on their wish lists and specific questions that I have..

1. How many gifts do you allow for a 5 year old for a 5  year old (I am not talking the gifts they will get from other sources).

2. How many gifts do you decide about, how many you let her decide about.

3. When do you buy gifts and when do you put them under tree. waaaaay  before Ch or on the Chr day?

4. Is your little one with you and can she see when and how you are buying gifts from her list

or do you do the whole Santa thing

5. Do you do Santa give away gifts on Christmas day by dressing up as Santa or is this just a buffet style morning?

Any other comments? Ideas? Problems? Funny facts from your experience?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2010, 12:20 PM

Moved to The Childhood Years

Old 11-17-2010, 12:36 PM

1. How many gifts do you allow for a 5 year old for a 5 year old (I am not talking the gifts they will get from other sources).

We don't have a specific target number or limit, though in general we try not to go overboard. We usually do a Santa gift and a stocking for each kiddo, a pair of holiday pajamas, a couple books, and 2-3 toys or similar gifts.

The kiddos will brainstorm a list of maybe 5-10 ideas and interests, and we've always explained that it's just for ideas, not a promise of exactly what they'll get.

3. When do you buy gifts and when do you put them under tree. waaaaay  before Ch or on the Chr day?

On heck, only after they've gone to bed on Christmas Eve, so all the gifts are waiting under the tree Christmas morning. My 4- and 5-year-olds are ninjas. There's no way gifts put there sooner wouldn't get peeked at. Or just flat out opened. I don't tempt the inevitable.

4. Is your little one with you and can she see when and how you are buying gifts from her list or do you do the whole Santa thing?

When they were babies and toddlers, I could get away with shopping for them while they were with me. That wouldn't fly any more. Even if they're gifts from us, not from Santa, I still wouldn't do it, any more than I would take my sister with me while shopping for her birthday gift. Unless it's something that requires a person's presence in order to pick it out, we've always done gifts as surprises.

5. Do you do Santa give away gifts on Christmas day by dressing up as Santa or is this just a buffet style morning?

No, the gifts magically appear under the tree, wrapped in their own paper that's different from any other wrapping paper we use for holiday gifts. Likewise, Santa seems to be a lefty with his own handwriting style.

The kids are allowed to open their stockings before we get up. That's a tradition my grandmother started in order to get to sleep until at least 6 a.m., because my mom and my uncle woke her up at 3 a.m. a couple of times before that. I like that tradition! Then we open gifts together and have breakfast, in no particular order, before going down to my parents' to celebrate Christmas with my extended family and for my birthday lunch.

This year my daughter (age 5) is asking for:

-a DS

-an Ipod with ear buds

-a brown football

-small book, 5-10 pages, with short rhyming words for learning how to read
-My Little Pony Princess Palace
-a special blanket with a heart on it
-math kits
-dress-up shoes

The first two are the result of her having a number of older friends (ages 7-10), and they're not going to happen this year. Maybe in a couple years, when she can take better care of her stuff and it's more developmentally appropriate. She's really into football and wrestling right now, so the football is a real possibility, especially as a Santa gift. She's also really interested in learning how to read, but we're not going to get anything right now because I have a feeling she might be past the point of needing a super short book with CVC words by next month. But she'll definitely get some books. The rest are going out to family for ideas if they want them and we'll see what happens.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaClaudia View Post

1. How many gifts do you allow for a 5 year old for a 5  year old (I am not talking the gifts they will get from other sources).

We don't have a set limit/goal, she will most likely get 2 or 3 gifts to open from us on Christmas day, stocking stuffers, and she will get a pair of pajamas on Christmas Eve.

We discussed the idea of a Christmas list last week because the relatives were asking, as a pp mentioned making sure to let her know that these were IDEAS only.

Usually we put gifts under the tree as soon as we get them wrapped.. most years that isn't until Christmas Eve ;)

4. Is your little one with you and can she see when and how you are buying gifts from her list

We do not do the Santa thing, however she is also old enough that we can't pick things up at the store WITH her for gifts. When she was 2 and under we were able to do that.

No Santa gifts at our house, Christmas morning is generally a get up and do stockings.. Have breakfast, and then open gifts together.

See above in bold for my answers, below are things on her "wishlist" this year :

Kneesocks and toesocks

Princess Dolls

Floor puzzles

Pillow Pet

computer game

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

Old 11-17-2010, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My DD is technically only four, but she'll only be a few months shy of five at Christmas so I thought I'd weigh in on this one. :)

1) We don't have a limit of gifts. DH and I both take the same amt of cash and buy whatever it is that we choose to get her until our money runs out. We don't have a huge budget, so she gets probably around 4 or 5 things from each of us, but that's normally only one "big" item from each of us and several small and much cheaper items. In a few years when we are buying for three kids, this could change, but for now it works. (To clarify, we have a DS who will be 13 mo at Christmas (he turns one tomorrow!! wah!!) and another due in Feb.)

2) From about Nov on, we tell DD anytime she says she wants something that she should ask for it for Christmas. If we hear something come up several times, we'll take it into serious consideration-either for us to get her or to pass along to grandparents as gift ideas. We do make sure she is aware that asking for it doesn't mean she'll get it, but she can ask. But I wouldn't say she decides her gifts.

3) I really like putting gifts under the tree waaaaayyy before Christmas and watching the stacks grow. Its one of the Christmasy things that just makes me happy. :D But this year as we will have a 13 mo old DS who is very much into everything and ripping things apart, we'll probably have to forgo that tradition this year and just put it out on Christmas Eve.

4) Like the pps, when DD was younger and didn't really "know" any different, I didn't have a problem taking her along. But now that she's older, I don't think it would be fun to take her shopping for her own gift, ya know? Takes the surprise and joy of it for everyone IMO.

5) Santa gifts are just under the tree on Christmas morning. We don't go any further than that!

Wish list includes:

Doll house

My Little Pony stuff

Footie PJs

Scooter

One of those mini cars kids can drive-which is not going to happen, btw. lol.gif

read.gif Rachael~~SAHM to fairy.gif (4/27/06), diaper.gif (11/18/09) and babyf.gif (1/29/11); married to a fabulous man! flowersforyou.gif  intactlact.gif cd.gif    caffix.gif )O(

Old 11-17-2010, 07:34 PM

I can not control other people.  They will give what they choose.

DS doesn't decide what gifts he gets.  If he did then they wouldn't be gifts, they would just be regular purchases (which we do occasionally.)  I try to keep his desires in mind whenever I get him (or anyone else) gifts.

Just before.  Making him look at the boxes for too long seems like preschooler torture.

4. Is your little one with you and can she see when and how you are buying gifts from her list or do you do the whole Santa thing

Gifts are more fun if they are a surprise.  I never bring the recipient when I buy a gift.

What's a buffet style morning?

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
Old 11-17-2010, 09:09 PM

Mine will be turning 5 in just a few short weeks. She doesn't necessarily tell me what she wants for Christmas, just what she wants in general. Both the kids are just getting one gift from us this year (Nintendo DS.. no way I could buy my oldest one without getting her one too). Then from other family members she will be getting more of what she wants including:

Unicorn Pillow Pet

Games for DS

Littlest Pet Shop

More food for the kitchen she got last year

Books.

A few gifts get tagged santa but the rest are from us/family. We can put them out early without the kids opening them and the we just hand them out Christmas morning.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:54 AM

. How many gifts do you allow for a 5 year old for a 5  year old (I am not talking the gifts they will get from other sources).

We usually do one big gift--like an American Girl Doll, a playkitchen, or when she was 2 the "cozy coupe" car--and then 2 or 3 other things like books or doll outfits or hat and gloves.  And then we have fun little things in stockings for all of us.

She does a list.  We consult the list but also just pay attention for things that we know would really be fun for her that she might not know about. 

I usually buy online and wrap them and put the little things under the tree once we get it.  The big gift is from Santa and I put that out unwrapped Christmas night.  I don't shop superearly and am usually running around on the 23rd finishing up. 

or do you do the whole Santa thing.

We do Santa.  She helps me buy presents for Dad and the rest of the extended family.

We wake up, gifts are under the tree, and we all open them together and then our family comes over at noon for a brunch.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:55 AM

My youngest DD is turning 6 a few days before Christmas, but has the mentality of a 3 to 4 year old due to delays so her gifts are a bit younger.

1.) We don't really limit amount of gifts. If I see something I know they'd enjoy I get it.

2.) With her, we decide about all gifts. We know what she likes. She'll point something out sometimes at the store but usually forgets later on.

3.) I get most things online. If i see something in a store they'dthey'd like I pick it up but not really. As we recieve them in the mail I wrap and put under tree.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:41 PM

We don't have a set amount of gifts, we have a budget. The number of gifts varies depending on how the budget is spent... but  I do try to have between 3 and 5 packages under the tree.

DD has an ongoing list. This is a mental list that is made year round, when we are out and about and she see's something she's into we "put it on her list" some things stay at the forefront of the mental list and some things fade away. At Xmas and Birthdays I pay attention to the mental list but I don't strictly follow it--my brain is not sharp enough to do that. Plus there are hundreds of things on it!

Presents go under the tree on xmas day.

I do not gift shop in front of her for birthdays or Xmas. I don't consider this a Santa/no Santa choice, just a gifts are surprises choice.

We are a Santa happy household, and do all sorts of Santa things BUT Santa is never seen. So no, we don't have someone in a Santa Costume pass out gifts.

Interesting series of questions, OP. What prompted them?

Oh, as far as whats on her list...I have no clue yet. Her Bday is right after thanksgiving so we are in Bday mode here.

:)

Old 11-18-2010, 06:00 PM

We do 2-3 gifts for each kid. Gift from us is wrapped and under the tree in advance. Santa's gifts are left unwrapped by the stocking after the kids are asleep in Xmas eve. Santa's too busy to wrap. smile.gif. Perfect for the gently used toys he gives. No boxes means wrapping would be hard. We tell her the elves played with the toys to make sure they would be fun.

We have a Leapfrog Explorer on the list this year, as well as books, videos, clothing, and calico critters stuff.

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
Old 11-18-2010, 09:53 PM

Mine will be 5 in April

Quote:

Would love to hear from parents of other 5 year old girls what is on their wish lists and specific questions that I have..

From us between 7-10 plus a stocking. Grandparents go super, super, super overboard and she gets between 10-30 gifts from each one. It is insane!

We make a list, we went to the toy store a few weeks ago to see what she is interested in. I also go by what I think she might like/need. I try to go by the "something you want, something you need, something to play with, something to wear, something to read" plus a few extras. Then all December I ask her what she wants Santa to bring her and make sure we have that one thing.

Christmas Eve after the kids are in bed.

We do Santa. She is in preschool this year so that makes shopping easier.

No one dresses up as Santa but we open gifts right away then have breakfast.

Funniest Christmas experience - she was 2 and wanted a guitar. We were trying to save the guitar for last. She would open up a gift - a book, a pack of markers and be surprised that it wasn't a guitar. "That's not a guitar" DH and I were laughing our butts off.

Her list this year includes a Rapunzel Dress and Wig, Polly Pocket Playset, Moon Dough, stuff like that. She surprised me in Toys R Us by making a pretty short list.

Mom to Morgan 4-3-06 and announcing Baby Kelsey 4-11-10
Old 11-19-2010, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Quote:

Our daughter turned 5 at the end of October.

Since she's more aware, we're trying to pare down the gifts and focus more on experience.  Aiming for 4 from us, but my list is already longer than that!

She gets to decide on 1 gift.  Santa only brings one.  The rest are from mommy, papi and family

I do most of my shopping on line - although I also hope to be crafting this year. Nothing gets put under the tree until Christmas Eve/Day early morning while she is sleeping.

Nope.

Yes, we do Santa.  My view is that childhood is so fleeting, especially in our society today and a large part of it is play and pretend.  To me, giving a child that magical, fantasy is just fun.  I had it and I don't think my parents are horrible liars for having endulged in it for us.

We're not that hard core!  LOL.  There's no dressing up in our house.

Last year we did the video email from Santa where you up load a picture of your child and she can see herself in the infamous "book".  The excitement in her eyes and on her face was just a wonder to behold.  She wanted a mermaid and I was making the doll.  I had the hair hand dyed and received pictures for my review before it being sent to me.  I showed her and told her the messages were from Santa's workshop.  She was very excited to know that Santa was working on her mermaid!  Our son is still too young to get it - he's just 19 mos - I just hope she doesn't get wise and ruin the fun for him before he gets a chance to partake of the festivities.

Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels

User Tag List