Christmas Frustration (5yr old DS & 8 yr old DS) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-18-2010, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am hoping you all can help me.  I had a long conversation about Christmas with a friend of mine yesterday.  We are both in the same boat as far as  buying anything for our kids.  We both want to keep the holiday simple, we want to not spend a ton of money, we are clueless about what our children would even like that they would not destroy or get bored with in 10 minutes.  But we would like to get them something they like.  I am guessing we are not the only ones.  But maybe some of you have some suggestions.  

I have a 5 yr old DS who loves trucks and princesses.  He was in his glory at DIsney meeting princesses and fell in love with "the pink one".  He has too many trucks.  We have lego he does not touch, we have playmobil knights he will not touch, he has Thomas trains he will pull out rarely.  I gave him an old barbie of mine in a princess dress and he likes her but other then drag her around there is no play value for him and when I asked about other dolls he had no interest.  He has a Leapster he plays with but only the Cars game.  He is delayed with possible learning disabilities.  We are getting as creative as we can to help teach him numbers and letters.  He is in kindergarten.  

I have an 8 yr old DS, almost 9, in 3rd grade.  He wants "anything with a screen" on it.  Whines because all his friends have something with a screen and he does not.  Sigh.  I have a nintendo DS he can use when he wants and he never asks unless we are on a long car ride.  We also have a Wii.  He has a bunch of Star Wars legos but he seems to be getting bored with legos lately.  He got an ipod nano last year and has not used it in months.  He started reading like crazy and the ipod gets in his way.  He is presently into those Beyblade top things.  He also wants Nerf guns.  I am sorely tempted with the nerf guns because I seem to spend my life making the boys put down sticks and pipes and any other long handled things they can find in the yard to battle each other.  Or they fill up water guns and I usually get hit.  He also asked for a fish but my DH said no since he forgets about taking care of his chickens.

My husband has been pouring over all the magazines that come in trying to find ideas and no luck so far.  Either the item would have limited use or would have to involve an adult every time.  So far they both got an LLBean duffle bag for travel but I doubt those will go over well on their own LOL  

Any thoughts or suggestions?  Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2010, 11:54 AM

I got my 5 yr old a guitar-nothing fancy, just a 30$ little guitar that he can strum on.  He also is getting a few movies(toy story 3), some action figures, a castle, new shoes.  And then I am stockpiling him in consumables-markers, crayons, coloring books, etc.  I really wanted to get him an indoor tent but we just don't have the room for it.

Cassie, mom to Alex(4/7/05), Aidan(7/12/07), and Andrew(8/18/08)

Old 11-18-2010, 12:46 PM

What about building toys? Zoobs, Lincoln Logs and blocks are/were big hits in my house.

Also, have you thought about getting some Playmobil for your DS 5 that's geared more towards family life? My DSS 9 and DSD 11 still play with the Playmobil take-along house and all the things that go with it. They also have the Playmobil RV that they love.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

Old 11-18-2010, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

The nerf guns sound good, nerf swords too. For the 5 y.o. maybe figures and a setting for them, like some form of dollhouse or stable and the people or animals to go in there. I'd making gnomes and a home for them that looks like a tree stump. Books of course. A new game for the Wii, new beyblade thingy. They into dress-up stuff like animals, heroes, pirates, knights, professions? Could do something along those lines. Maybe some family card or board game they could do and you'd actually enjoy playing with them? I'm getting Apples to Apples Kids for my family. Oh I got one of those pop up toy tunnels and gave it to my church it's a huge hit for ages 1-10. Smaller and cheaper than a tent and gets put away quickly.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:13 PM

I was going to suggest Beyblades as a possibility, but it seems like your 8 yo is already into them.

Ok some random ideas..

walkie talkies

building kits (you know - model planes/cars, robots, etc)

craft stuff

camera

new bike/scooter/skates/roller blades

an experience: see a hockey game/play/musical, go on a trip or day trip, season pass to science museum/other cool place, lessons (music/circus/whatever) along with gift of whatever equipment might be needed.

keyboard... one that has a big variety of instrument sounds might be exciting.

board games

zipline (if you have room for it)

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

Old 11-19-2010, 06:19 AM

I have a kid who asks for toys, but doesn't really play with them.  I think some of the best gifts we've gotten for her have been board games and card games- ones we can play as a family are great.  For your younger child they also can foster those skills children need- like color matching etc.

Laura, Mama to Mya 7/02, Ian 6/07 and Anna 8/09
Old 11-19-2010, 06:31 AM

We also have children that don't really play with their toys. We are finally getting smart about that and sticking to active 'toys' like scooters, bikes, outdoor hockey set, basketball hoops etc.

As well as things they see us using that they want to be using too, like a camera. Kids style of course.

We are not getting our kids a single 'toy' this year. I'm tired of getting stuff that doesn't get used. It's a waste in many ways.

I might also recommend  a baking set-all things in your 5 year old's size. And then really let him make and mix stuff with you.

And we also tend to do some educational stuff.

Mindful Spirit Expo is on April 21 and 22nd. Raise your consciousness!

Intuitive Encounters business merger means discounts for a limited time.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all, you are so helpful!  This has certainly given us a few more ideas :)

Old 11-19-2010, 08:16 PM

My kids are getting sleeping bags as part of christmas this year. The boys (5.5) are also really into star wars action figures.

Have you seen MagnaTiles?  http://www.magnatiles.com/ 

I also like looking at FatBrainToys  http://fatbraintoys.com/index.cfm 

Magic Cabin http://www.magiccabin.com/welcome.asp 

and the sister site, Hearthsong http://www.hearthsong.com/ 

For fat brain, magic cabin and hearthsong, there are usually coupon codes available.

Good luck!

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)
Old 11-20-2010, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntuitiveJamie View Post

We also have children that don't really play with their toys. We are finally getting smart about that and sticking to active 'toys' like scooters, bikes, outdoor hockey set, basketball hoops etc.

As well as things they see us using that they want to be using too, like a camera. Kids style of course.

We are not getting our kids a single 'toy' this year. I'm tired of getting stuff that doesn't get used. It's a waste in many ways.

This is kind of where we are at. For ds's bday last month we got him a hamster. For Christmas he may be getting drums, but I still want to buy a couple toys.

Old 11-20-2010, 08:40 AM

You said your oldest like to read and wants something with a screen...what about an ebook reader, like a nook or a kindle?  That's what my almost 8 year old wants most for x-mas this year.  I have a nook and he loves reading on it.  

User Tag List