what age is appropriate for an ipod or similar? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 56 Old 11-19-2010, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am thinking about buying my 6 year old an ipod but wonder if she is really too young.  What is a good age for one?

#2 of 56 Old 11-19-2010, 04:43 PM

I think 6 is a great age for an ipod.  My 5 yo has one and does great with it (as do my older children). 

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#3 of 56 Old 11-19-2010, 04:49 PM

My 2.5 yo can navigate mine extremely well.  He plays games on it sometimes & watches some kid's video podcasts.  It's great for situations when we need to wait (doctor's office, waiting for food in a restaurant, etc).  I plan to get him his own in a couple years.  

Tandem nursing, Baby-wearing, Co-sleeping, Car seat-checkin' (CRST) Mama to my sweet boys, Peter (4.20.08) and Jasper (4.25.11).
#4 of 56 Old 11-19-2010, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

she navigates my android phone with no problems, so i think she should be ok for navigation.  I have an ipod nano.  The ipod shuffle looks to be the cheapest, but I don't think it would play videos.  I am not sure if the nano plays video, but if it does, the screen is pretty small.

which ipod do you recommend for her?  I also have a 3 year old that I am sure would figure it out eventually too.

#5 of 56 Old 11-19-2010, 05:26 PM

I would definitely go for a Touch if you can afford it. Then you can also download apps, which are free/cheap and plentiful. We love ours!

Momma to 8 y.o. DS and 5 y.o. DD. Married to a Maker!

#6 of 56 Old 11-19-2010, 06:08 PM

nak

apple freq. has refurbished.  we keep contemplating a refurbished 8 g touch one for our 3 yo who has mastered my iphone.  i saw one a few weeks ago for $129 & it came w/ a 1 yr protection plan (all apple refurb come with that)

when i add up the cost of other systems, games, carrying cases vs used ipod touch, good case, free apps, apps i already have & more $1.99 apps down the road, it just makes sense.  plus she won't outgrow it.

my mom got her the fisher price ixl for her bday & she loves it but it was $65, the games are $25 each & it isn't as robust of course.  and she still wants my phone when we are waiting in line, at a restaurant, on the plane, at the drs etc.

Stephanie~hippie.gifwife to Dov, mama to Ella Irie (9/24/07) & Kaya Raine (2/1/10)~our vbac.gifbaby, born 45 hours after PROM!!!
#7 of 56 Old 11-19-2010, 06:12 PM

forgot to add...got some great free apps off this list of top free kids ones

http://artoftheiphone.com/2010/08/23/the-50-best-free-iphone-apps-for-kids/

the matching zoo & letter tracing were both so great we ended up buying the full apps.

we esp love this one

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/little-bellas-i-close-my-eyes/id307214153?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D4

Stephanie~hippie.gifwife to Dov, mama to Ella Irie (9/24/07) & Kaya Raine (2/1/10)~our vbac.gifbaby, born 45 hours after PROM!!!
#8 of 56 Old 11-19-2010, 09:15 PM

My 3 yo and 4yo were given our old iPhones to use as an iTouch after we upgraded.  They navigate it really well and have been for some time.  We take them when we go to dr appointments, out to dinner, long car rides, ect.   They also have some great educational apps that have helped my kids with their letters, numbers ect.  

Mom to, Cassi,, 25 yo daughter, 4 yo twins, Carson & Camryn 3 yo Caitlyn and my wonderful 14 yo neice, Carlie
#9 of 56 Old 11-19-2010, 10:59 PM

LOL.. I had a two and a half yr old daycare girl come in with an Itouch, and she was working it like she was born with it.  I was amazed and a little jealous.

#10 of 56 Old 11-19-2010, 11:27 PM

offtopic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkRotts View Post

My 3 yo and 4yo were given our old iPhones to use as an iTouch after we upgraded.  They navigate it really well and have been for some time.  We take them when we go to dr appointments, out to dinner, long car rides, ect.   They also have some great educational apps that have helped my kids with their letters, numbers ect.  

Excuse my ignorance, but... how does this work?  Does the phone just keep working after it is no longer a phone?  How do you update it/add aps/etc... while it's not a phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextcommercial View Post

LOL.. I had a two and a half yr old daycare girl come in with an Itouch, and she was working it like she was born with it.  I was amazed and a little jealous.

#11 of 56 Old 11-20-2010, 06:50 AM

My ds1 just got an iPod shuffle for his 8th birthday.  We were looking at the Touch but decided to go with the cheaper shuffle as we were really only looking for stories and music and we wanted to make sure it was something he would take care of properly and actually have an interest in.  Everything changes so fast that I'm sure we can update him to a newer device in a couple of years that has more applications.

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

#12 of 56 Old 11-20-2010, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredX2 View Post

offtopic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkRotts View Post

Excuse my ignorance, but... how does this work?  Does the phone just keep working after it is no longer a phone?  How do you update it/add aps/etc... while it's not a phone.

My basic understanding of it (dh knows much more about this stuff) is that the iphone is really just an upgraded ipod touch with phone service.  they both do all the same things & have all the same extras EXCEPT the iphone is a phone too if you pay for the phone service/activation etc.  and an ipod touch can actually be used for email service if you pay for the data plan monthly or it can be everything else except email if you don't want to pay for a data plan.  without a data plan you can still do all apps etc but you would do it while hooked up to your computer, not wirelessly.  and it sounds like the ipod touch can also be used for phone/texting to anyone who has another itouch or iphone when a data plan is paid for.  

and in the pp case, they decided to upgrade to a newer version of the iphone.  so they turn off the phone/data service on their old one & it basically becomes a nice ipod touch with the potential for phone service down the road if they ever want to activate it & add another line for the family.  

another interesting aspect...if your young child took care of an ipod touch & it lasted many years...and the parents are both iphone users, that ipod touch could be activated later on to become a cell phone/texting device that they can only use with their parents or other iphone/itouch users.  kind of interesting for when you want them to have an emergency device but they aren't old enough for a regular cell phone.

sorry if that is confusing-lol.  i stink at explaining technology!  

#13 of 56 Old 11-20-2010, 08:50 AM

I'm going to be a voice of dissent here. While she could navigate an iPod, what use would she have for it? When would she use it? Why would a 6 year old need one? Does she really listen to that much music? Does she show any interest in yours?

My real major concern would be the earbuds, however. It could be that she really would use it. But, can the iPod be set so that she can't set the volume too loud? Hearing loss due to volume too high on earbuds is a major issue for the under 40 crowd these days. I wouldn't want my kids to damage their hearing.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#14 of 56 Old 11-20-2010, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My 8-year-old has had one since 6, the nano, and she loves it for listening to music and for listening to story podcasts.  There was a way to make it so it could only play to a certain volume but I did it 2 years ago so I dont' remember how.  It was when I set it up on itunes.

#15 of 56 Old 11-20-2010, 10:17 AM

itouch & iphones play the music/sounds outloud.  you don't need earphones.  

and you can lock volume controls.

if you did want earphones for some reason, you would want to pick up kid safe ones like califones

#16 of 56 Old 11-20-2010, 10:29 AM
MJB

My son got an iPod shuffle at 4 (I got it refurbished for $29). It broke after about a year and a half (through no fault of his). I got him an iPod nano for his 7th bday. He and his little brother both use it all the time. They rarely use headphones, mostly they use it in their room with iPod speakers. They just use it for listening to music and stories, although there are some games on it, I told them not to play them. My little guy (5 in December) asked for one but we are going to wait another year or so. They really don't each need one.

#17 of 56 Old 11-20-2010, 12:04 PM

We got our oldest an mp3 player for her 7th birthday.  She's a major Hannah Montana freak, and I am not the biggest fan of her music.  We bought it after I caught her one day with my iPod Shuffle (the old style, we've had it about 4 years now) listening to my Lady Gaga and other such music that I enjoy that is completely inappropriate for children their ages (that music, we purchase on iTunes only on my laptop and upload directly to our iPods, the kids don't touch my laptop unsupervised because I use it for college and am anally overprotective).  We decided that each of our girls will get one for their 7th birthday, getting it for our oldest has made her a lot easier to keep occupied during car trips, waiting for doctor appointments, and such.  Unfortunately, we do have issues like a pp mentioned about her turning the volume up too loud with her earbuds, so we are going to be purchasing her some of thoes kid-safe ones.  I don't actually have an iPod for her, the one she got is a SanDisk one I think.  It was the same price as the shuffle with twice the storage space and more features than the shuffle does (at least, its more than my shuffle, I don't know anything about the newer ones).

Cat- FT ministry student and Sonlight hsing momma to a wild crew of girls
Melissa 4/03, Lydia 5/04, Kimberly 1/06, and Jordan 9/07

And waiting impatiently on baby Isaiah ******* to appear around 3/12

#18 of 56 Old 11-20-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnS6 View Post

I'm going to be a voice of dissent here. While she could navigate an iPod, what use would she have for it? When would she use it? Why would a 6 year old need one? Does she really listen to that much music? Does she show any interest in yours?

My real major concern would be the earbuds, however. It could be that she really would use it. But, can the iPod be set so that she can't set the volume too loud? Hearing loss due to volume too high on earbuds is a major issue for the under 40 crowd these days. I wouldn't want my kids to damage their hearing.

You can use over ear head phones instead of in-ear buds, which should reduce the risk. And you can also set the maximum volume of playback through i-Tunes which you will need to transfer the music to the iPod. You can also use speakers with the ipod instead of headphones of anykind which is good for listening to books on tape at naptime (for kids and adults thumb.gif) I think that using it with speakers at home and over ear headphones in the car is ok, but I would recommend against letting a 6yo walk around with the headphones on. It can create a danger of getting separated from their adults.
#19 of 56 Old 11-20-2010, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Quote:

lynn i am with you. dd got hers when she was 5. however she just didnt get an mp3 but she got the sound system too. to me it was a worthy expense. we chose mp3 and ipod because of huge memory. so no ear buds or head phones in our house. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#20 of 56 Old 11-20-2010, 11:07 PM

Quote:

I completely agree.  Additionally, an iPod seems like an extravagant gift for such a young child.  My DD has been able to operate/play with DH's iPhone since she was literally a babe.  But, it wouldn't even cross my mind to provide her a similar piece of gadgetry for at least several years! 

Libby blahblah.gif, momma to my precious little girl (6/29/07) 
                        and wonderful little man (12/1/10)

#21 of 56 Old 11-21-2010, 05:12 AM

Do other people's kids not listen to music?  If they're old enough to listen to CDs, I don't see why they aren't old enough to listen to MP3 players.  This is the current technology for listening to music.  It isn't odd or different or above what we had when we were kids, it's just what is used now.

#22 of 56 Old 11-21-2010, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamazee View Post

Do other people's kids not listen to music?  If they're old enough to listen to CDs, I don't see why they aren't old enough to listen to MP3 players.  This is the current technology for listening to music.  It isn't odd or different or above what we had when we were kids, it's just what is used now.

It is VASTLY different than it was when I was growing up.  When I was a kid, at least, listening to music was a family affair and it was on an 8-track player that didn't have headphones at all.  I know I'm one of the older mothers here, but I find these devices to really isolate families.  I see WAY too often, everyone plugged in to something different and not interacting with each other.  That just doesn't work for this particular attached family.

Then again, we don't listen to anything that is inappropriate for a child, so that may make a difference.  Dd (8.5) does have a very cheap MP3 player that she uses in the mornings on her hour-long trip to school.  She listens to books and kind of snoozes on the way, as it's early and she's still tired.  She wouldn't be interacting with us anyway and that's the only time she uses it.  She doesn't even use it on the trip home because we talk instead. 

Music, we share, though, in the car or at home.  It's nice because dd is exposed to a lot of interesting music including classical, baroque, world, jazz, and opera, which she probably wouldn't choose on her own without someone else interacting and engaging her with it.  I think kids miss out when they just listen to "their" music through headphones.  There is a time and place for it, but I see it abused more than used wisely and I'm not willing to start down that road.  JMO.

#23 of 56 Old 11-21-2010, 11:25 AM

I'm over 40 and I had my own record player to listen to Sean Cassidy on in my room.  I had headphones too.

#24 of 56 Old 11-21-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamazee View Post

yeahthat.gif I had my own record player when I was around 5 or 6 to play my own 7" kids records and books on record. Then I had my own tape recorder when I was around 8. Then I had a walkman, and then a discman. I always had my own music device, and headphones.
#25 of 56 Old 11-21-2010, 11:42 AM

Why does a 6yo need an iPod? What happened to listening to the radio or a CD in the car, or putting a CD in the player at home? I just don't get it.
#26 of 56 Old 11-21-2010, 11:43 AM

sorry, double post.
#27 of 56 Old 11-21-2010, 11:44 AM

Just curious, how much are these gadgets?

We don't have an iPod or MP3 player. Not because of any objection to them, just that we don't spend any money on consumer goods, only necessities.

If an iPod is $300 I can see why people would be reluctant to spend that kind of money for a gadget for such a small child.

If they are $30 or even $50 I can see it being comparable to us mom's having had record players in our rooms when we were kids (I did too - a cheap plastic record player when I was 4 or 5, and then I got the hand-me-down record player from my parents' set when they upgraded their system).

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#28 of 56 Old 11-21-2010, 11:50 AM

An ipod shuffle is about $50.  The nano is more, maybe $100 to $125?

#29 of 56 Old 11-21-2010, 11:59 AM

Well, I'm a tightwad and have weird moral issues but it seems that that kind of money is spent on small children regularly in this time and place anyway. I understand the video game systems cost a fortune, for instance. And you can expect years of use from your iPod until the battery dies - I guess my primary objection would be there, built-in-obsolescence. But it's clearly not the concern of the OP, so I would say an iPod must be appropriate for even very young children.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#30 of 56 Old 11-21-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinemama View Post

Why does a 6yo need an iPod? What happened to listening to the radio or a CD in the car, or putting a CD in the player at home? I just don't get it.

But what's the difference between a kid having their own CD player and their own mp3 player?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page