I never thought I would learn this much about dinosaurs! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-29-2010, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

When I was a kid I was really into dinosaurs. I loved playing with the plastic dinosaurs we had at school (Montessori, yay!) and I was into pretty much anything dinosaur. My big fascination probably only lasted a year or two (5-6 years old-ish) but I have always been into them ever since.

DS will be 5 in just over two weeks and he has gotten into dinosaurs recently. So now we are reading about dinosaurs a LOT. It's almost ridiculous. I now know more types of dinosaurs than I did as a child. I looked through books to figure out what happened to brontosaurus and what's up with brachiosaurus. Pteranodons and pterodactyls. The dilophosaurus in Jurassic Park. So on and so forth.

Anyone else being overloaded on dinosaurs? Haha.

- Emy . Single mom to DS nut.gif Ezra (15.12.05), angel2.gif Thames (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif Allora (11.02.11) and dog2.gif Hoppylactivist.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  waterbirth.jpg fambedsingle2.gif bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 11-29-2010, 07:08 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I have forgotten most of it now, but a dozen years ago, I could say the same thing. Luckily there are a lot of resources for learning about dinosaurs, in books, DVDs, museum exhibitions etc. 

If you get the chance to visit a dig site or an area where lots of fossils have been found, it's a lot of fun.  Or you can create your own with some replica models that are sold in educational stores like Scholar's Choice. 

#3 of 6 Old 11-29-2010, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We've been inundated with dinosaurs for the last THREE YEARS. DS1 got interested in them when he was 2, and he's still going strong. We're actually considering a family vacation next year out west to Alberta. I have no desire to go to Alberta, I'd rather go to Newfoundland, but there aren't any T-Rexes in Newfoundland. lol I have two more DSes, so I'm guessing by the time I'm done raising them, I should be able to apply for a job at the museum as a paleontologist. :)

Don't trust anyone under 5! Mom to 3 boys under 5. Blogging to save my sanity.
#4 of 6 Old 11-29-2010, 12:55 PM

My DD is planning on becoming a paleontologist. Her "hero" is Alice Evelyn Wilson, Canada's first female paleontologist. Well, better than Cinderella!

I was never very "in" to dinosaurs, but I absorbed quite a bit because my brother was. But yeah, I've learned a LOT in the past year or so. We are planning a trip to the badlands either next summer or the summer after.

(There's apparently a decent dinosaur museum in Parrsborough in NS - it's closer to NL... ;) )

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif
#5 of 6 Old 11-29-2010, 11:43 PM

Can anyone recommend a good website where my 4 year old and I can learn more about dinosaurs?

#6 of 6 Old 11-30-2010, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Not dinosaurs, but I've learned more than I ever wanted know about: Garbage trucks, fire trucks, buses and bus routes, penguins and now baseball! "Mom, what do you think the most runs scored in a major league game is?" "Mom, do you think the Twins will have all of their players back?" "Mom, are there any major league teams that have never won a World Series?" I was actually missing the old "why" stage when we were driving this weekend.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page