Mothering Forum banner

Legos: How much do you "need"?

2K views 34 replies 21 participants last post by  dbsam 
#1 ·
DS is requesting legos for Christmas. We have 2 sets of Duplo currently, 2 small buckets combined into one. They can build a few things with them, but the blocks are used up quickly.

So far I have purchased 2 buckets of 400ish, and a "Brickmaster" book of Star Wars legos. Is this okay, enough to start? I have money from my mom to spend on them (4.5 and 2yo), and Toys r Us is having a BOGO 1/2 off sale this week. I could pick up some more, but if I can save that money I'd be happy, too. I admittedly have been reading too much from lego freaks, and I'm feeling like we are being beyond minimalistic about legos right now! I like to keep on the minimalistic side when possible, but I want him to have fun, too.

#2 ·
I don't think you can ever have to many Legos. According to my kids from age about 5 up Duploes does not equal Legos.

We have a diaper pail full of Legos. Majority of them were a yard sale find. Yet, we still have made orders for specific piece, sets, and people from Lego.com. We got a bunch of community workers once. My son made clothes, capes, and sharpied them to perfection. :) Get on their catalog mailing list. It will help you find pieces (sets) that have things your children want.

I would get Lego Large Brick box item 6166 or IMO Lego Deluxe Brick 5508 from the lego.com

#3 ·
We have two sets of basic blocks and a green base. I imagine we will add to it over time but for now DD (6) seems quite happy with the amount. I think she would be easily overwhelmed searching for pieces with much more at this point. I would certainly be overwhelmed clearing it up :lol

I think what you have sounds like a good starting point, personally I would wait and see how it gets used before getting any more. Then you'll have a better idea of what will get used, is it more wheels, people or something else.

#6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsupialmom View Post

I don't think you can ever have to many Legos. According to my kids from age about 5 up Duploes does not equal Legos.

We have a diaper pail full of Legos. Majority of them were a yard sale find. Yet, we still have made orders for specific piece, sets, and people from Lego.com. We got a bunch of community workers once. My son made clothes, capes, and sharpied them to perfection. :) Get on their catalog mailing list. It will help you find pieces (sets) that have things your children want.

I would get Lego Large Brick box item 6166 or IMO Lego Deluxe Brick 5508 from the lego.com
The 6166 set is the one I'm getting 2 of, and I've been looking for a good deal on the 5508 box. Good to know they are recommended! I was going to get DS1 this set from TRU, and DS2 a Duplo Play With Letters set with the BOGO 1/2 off sale. I had them in my cart the other day, but could not decide if I should go for it or not.

What about the base plates? I think the sets he is getting have one, so we'll have 2. Is that something he'll want more of? I know the thing he is going to love is the mini figures. He actually requested a "guy on a skateboard", but the sets that I've found with one are expensive!

#7 ·
Go search the guy on a skate board form the Lego site. You might be able to by just that guy :) or just the skateboard. You might have to call their 1800 number for assistance.

ibrickshop.com has just parts so you maybe able to just get the skate board. Also there is a skateboard with a guy in the community worker set from lego.com.

As for base plates do your kids use them? I really don't know how many we have, or have had over the years. My son is 16. If we didn't have a base plate he always found a way around it.

I do know my son liked stuff with wheels, planes, spaceships, et. http://shop.lego.com/product/?p=9241&LangId=2057&ShipTo=US

http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Product.aspx?p=8195&cn=33 I am hoping it works but this is suppose to be a link to a turbo tow truck. They have other $6 sets that are themed vehicles. You can sometimes find these types of boxes at TRU. We did them as stocking stuffers or "rewards/bribery" if we needed specific behavior. When my dd was going through medical care we found a small surprise box would entertain him while we did what we had to with our daughter.

You don't have to by it all now. If you have the starter sets add as you go. Get the catalog and see where your child's interest lays. He might "want it all" but you might find that a specific set will make him happiest - or themes. Or you might find he wants specific pieces for their creations.

Clean up tip...when my son was younger we put down a sheet/table cloth and he could only play on that. We could fold the cloth up to help poor into his bucket. For a while we also had a small dustpan and broom to help sweep them up.

We never went this far though http://www.ohhaveyouseenthis.com/2009/07/lego-clean-up-robot.html --Ok I think that is awesome.

#10 ·
We purchased a 4' long tub of Legos for $10 used! It's been great! We have more that we buy here & there, and I think DS also subscribes to the idea that you can't have too many Legos.

We have multiple bases as well. They're different sizes, and both DC like to have a variety of choices in bases.

#11 ·
As a mom who has both drawers of train table (the big rolling 4 compartment ones) FILLED with Legos, plus a variety of Lego bases, build-able mountains, Lego race tracks, and more "sets" (star wars, Indiana Jones, etc) you can never have enough. Granted most of mine are hand-me downs from various nephews but they all get played with all the time!

#12 ·
Legos are the kind of thing easily acquired for birthdays, special occasions, etc. There is no need to buy tons all at once as they will be accumulated over time. Of course, when you see a good deal, grab it! We've got sets in the attic to be given at some point in the future, but bought them because they were 1/2 price, etc.

Right now my son (6yo) is into the "City" set and "Toy Story" sets so those are easy gifts to get. The cool thing about Legos is that each set has very specific pieces, but when they build their own stuff, they can use any piece from any set to make truly awesome sets. Leogs rock!

#13 ·
So is the BOGO half off a good sale? I haven't paid attention to lego sales before. I've been watching craigslist but have not seen anything good yet. I'm sort of thinking that if the BOGO is a good sale I'll pick up a couple, then save them to see if he really gets into them. That way I have them if we end up wanting them, or I can return them if we don't. But only if that is a good sale.

#14 ·
For Christmas or stocking up for year round gifts BOGO's are good.

But, no I would not dump on him all at once. That can be overwhelming for them. I would save some for gifts through out the year. Rainy day surprise, sneak out a box to keep them busy.

Also, don't forget yard sale. Yes, Craig's list is a good way to fine them cheap :).

#15 ·
My ds is very into legos.Unfortunately the star wars legos is not covered under some sales! I really like the legos that have a 3 in 1 building option. I recently won my ds some harry potter legos.Lucky for him because there is now way I would have bought them all! I sometimes come across legos at resale shops and garage sales.I get all types,because he is very creative with them.Lol, I came across a mickey/minnie set for $1 and even got him that!

When I won the potter legos for ds I let him have a few,and the rest he gets to open over winter break.He can put a 2k part set together in a few hours.I can only buy him so much.And he can forget me getting the death star at $400!

#16 ·
This set, comes with a guy on a skate board:

http://shop.lego.com/product/?p=7641&LangId=2057&ShipTo=US

I wouldn't get the set of just plain bricks you linked to on amazon, or anymore duplo. I would wait to see how they play and what they want to do with them before going over board. We started with a few basic sets, and realized what DS really needed more of wasn't plain bricks, it was wheels. We got this, wheels, split it with his cousin. DS really likes making things from instructions, so sets that have long instructions appeal to him more than just random brick. DS's cousin on the other hand really prefers to just wing it and brick volume means much more to him.

A BOGO 1/2 is a pretty good sale, but The best sets go fast. I find the best sales are on clearance at Lego stores. They also have some great exclusives and handy things like pick a brick.

#17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits & Gravy View Post

So is the BOGO half off a good sale? I haven't paid attention to lego sales before. I've been watching craigslist but have not seen anything good yet. I'm sort of thinking that if the BOGO is a good sale I'll pick up a couple, then save them to see if he really gets into them. That way I have them if we end up wanting them, or I can return them if we don't. But only if that is a good sale.
I always go to Lego.com to check what a price is supposed to be. You can do well if you only buy BOGO half off, but ToysRUs routinely ups the price of legos by a dollar or 5 here and there so they sure aren't losing money on these sales. I think small sets get priced higher and they make up for their sales with all the little impulse purchases when people buy the $3.99 sets for $4.99. I noticed they had the mystery minifigs (individually wrapped minifigures but you can't see which one you are getting) for $3.99 each when they are supposed to be $1.99 so BOGO half off is no deal at all in that case.

Be careful on Amazon, too. Amazon is just a bunch of random people selling things for whatever price they want. I see things at double and triple price when they aren't even discontinued (and thus marketed to collectors) yet. Of course, that means you can sell any lego sets that you decide you don't want to keep if ToysRUs won't take them back.

Another fun thing is lego.com's "pick a brick" section. You can buy random pieces to fill out your lego collection however you want. You can buy lego heads, hair, accessories, legs, animals, hinged pieces, railings (like for a jail window), food (apples, croissants), etc. http://shop.lego.com/pab/

#18 ·
This is seriously so helpful!!

I ended up getting the basic set as well as the ABC duplo set today, along with some building plates. I know someone said not to get the letters, but DS2 really loves letters and points them out everywhere, so I think he'll love them.

I also got DS1 a mini fig, just the little mystery bag ones, for our advent calendar today. He is in LOVE with it. I realize it is overpriced, but our lego store is at a mall I never go to, and I am not going to make it there anytime soon. So I grabbed a couple for rewards/stocking. Seeing him enjoying such a simple little thing is making me think he is really going to love legos!

#19 ·
Your son is probably too young for these now but it is my son's new fascination on the Lego front. http://www.brickarms.com/

Quote:
BrickArms offers building toy-compatible custom weapons, weapons packs, and custom minifigs.
I got my son the medic kit http://www.brickarms.com/Toys/accessories/medkit.aspx

and the spy kit http://www.brickarms.com/Toys/accessories/SpyBriefCase.aspx

I do have to say that a I cracked up when they recently added this disclaimer!

Quote:
Disclaimer: All BrickArms tiny toy weapons are made of solid ABS plastic, designed to be used with LEGO® toys. They cannot shoot bullets and cannot be made to fire bullets in any way. Again, they are a TOY! T-O-Y Toyee!)

#20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyBearsMom View Post

Your son is probably too young for these now but it is my son's new fascination on the Lego front. http://www.brickarms.com/

Quote:
BrickArms offers building toy-compatible custom weapons, weapons packs, and custom minifigs.
I got my son the medic kit http://www.brickarms.com/Toys/accessories/medkit.aspx

and the spy kit http://www.brickarms.com/Toys/accessories/SpyBriefCase.aspx

I do have to say that a I cracked up when they recently added this disclaimer!

Quote:
Disclaimer: All BrickArms tiny toy weapons are made of solid ABS plastic, designed to be used with LEGO® toys. They cannot shoot bullets and cannot be made to fire bullets in any way. Again, they are a TOY! T-O-Y Toyee!)
Oh, he'd LOVE those. He is soldier obsessed lately for some reason. I think it might be time to create a new bookmark folder of Lego links to look at with him someday. I made the mistake of showing him the Lego site last night to explain that some sets are more complicated, and he'd need to start with the basics and learn to read the instructions before moving on. He keeps begging me to look at it more. He is drooling over the Harry Potter sets, particularly Hogwarts. Oy. I signed him up for the free magazine, too.

#21 ·
As a former Lego fanatic
wink1.gif
and the wife of a still-Lego-obsessed guy and mom of a junior Lego-freak, you have gotten some great advice.
thumb.gif

The big tubs of basic lego bricks are great, but they aren't a really good indicator of whether your kid will be into legos or not. They don't have enough variety in shape or specialty pieces to do the really cool stuff. Think of them as great supplements to a kit.

Also, some kids need instructions, or at least enjoy making something once with the instructions and then can dive in from that starting point. A great feature of the kits, especially the ones for "older" kids is they include fun specialty pieces -- joints, wheels, multi-faceted, clear pieces that can be used as lasers or lights, etc -- that are what actually make building fun and allow movement.

As far as the base plates, it depends on what he wants to build. I always liked to build castles, houses, and towns. Base plates were essential. DH likes to build robots and DS likes to build (so far) jets and cars. Base plates are useless to them, but wheels, joints, etc are essential.

#22 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingJoy View Post

As a former Lego fanatic
wink1.gif
and the wife of a still-Lego-obsessed guy and mom of a junior Lego-freak, you have gotten some great advice.
thumb.gif

The big tubs of basic lego bricks are great, but they aren't a really good indicator of whether your kid will be into legos or not. They don't have enough variety in shape or specialty pieces to do the really cool stuff. Think of them as great supplements to a kit.

Also, some kids need instructions, or at least enjoy making something once with the instructions and then can dive in from that starting point. A great feature of the kits, especially the ones for "older" kids is they include fun specialty pieces -- joints, wheels, multi-faceted, clear pieces that can be used as lasers or lights, etc -- that are what actually make building fun and allow movement.

As far as the base plates, it depends on what he wants to build. I always liked to build castles, houses, and towns. Base plates were essential. DH likes to build robots and DS likes to build (so far) jets and cars. Base plates are useless to them, but wheels, joints, etc are essential.
I think we are really, really ready for a Lego playdate now.
winky.gif
I can see N wanting to build places for the guys to hang out. K on the other hand will likely be the one into building vehicles, what a shock! When they play with Duplo N builds houses, and K takes the one car piece and stacks as much as he can onto it, then drives it around.

#23 ·
You need lots! They are the best toys you can get. They last forever - my 4 yo DS2 is now playing with Lego sets that my 22 yo DS2 used to play with (and still plays with, together with 4 yo DS2, when DS1 is home).

Yes, they need to be organised to lessen the frustration of looking for that particular piece. We have plastic baskets in a shelf: one basket for figurines and their hats, shields etc; one for space ship and airplane related pieces; one for pirate ship and Egyptian related pieces; one for castle related pieces; and a big box for more "ordinary" pieces plus wheels, windows etc. Plus one where he keeps the Lego Kingdom ones that he is now getting in his Lego Advent Calendar. We put the boxes away when they are not played with, so that he doesn't have all the sets available at the same time - unless he wants to play with all of them. DS2 is worried about visiting kids messing up the system. ;)

Both my DSs love sets with instructions to follow, and even 4yo DS2 is quite good and understanding instructions drawings.

We also have a big box of Duplo pieces and a Duplo trainset, the latter passed down from 25 yo cousin. Duplos and Legos are two different kinds of things.

#24 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits & Gravy View Post

I think we are really, really ready for a Lego playdate now.
winky.gif
I can see N wanting to build places for the guys to hang out. K on the other hand will likely be the one into building vehicles, what a shock! When they play with Duplo N builds houses, and K takes the one car piece and stacks as much as he can onto it, then drives it around.
Yes!! PM'ed you.

#26 ·
Now you need to plan for storage as a PP stated. You need shallow clear bins that you can sort those blocks into so the kids can find what they are looking for.

DS10 is a lego fanatic and ONLY wants specific sets, no boxes of square blocks. (London Bridge is $239.00 FYI) (Spaceship is $99.00) etc...Last Christmas he was totally into the Technic sets, this year he is into landmarks etc. The only good thing is LEGO holds resale really well and those discontinued sets sell for OVER retail and I will be able to recoupe my $$ .....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.