Wooden food or Felt food ? Which kids like best ? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-02-2010, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've started a previous thread to try to figure out which kitchen set to buy my DD 4.  I really think the accessories are just as important as the set, but I am torn between buying wood or felt food !!!!  

I see some nice Plan and Haba stuff..and wouldn't mind paying a little extra if it is worth it. 

But also hear a lot about felt food.  I have seen even Ikea is carrying felt food now and have heard it's pretty darn cute. 

Do your kids prefer one over the other?  Is one a little more "realistic" to them, or does it not really matter to them ?  

Any info is appreciated ???

p.s.  Melissa and Doug ?  is their wooden food any good ????  seems a lot cheaper than the Plan or Haba?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2010, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)

we do plastic

the felt did not hold up

M&D stuff chips

and plastic can get washed (another way we play) real looking and cheaper and if you are not dealing with a tiny child that is putting it there mouth and besides those that do put it in there mouths, felt does not wash well and wood doesn't either

selection wise we found more plastic items that were more useful (EX we have plastic sea-food that gets used a lot)- all came used (recycled so to say) YS, flea markets, craigs's list-etc

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

Old 12-02-2010, 11:34 AM

We have both Haba and Plan food. We also have a felt banana and pancakes. I HATE the felt food. I swear it attracts EVERY stray piece of cat hair and fuzz in the house! I want to get dd a few M&D wooden food items for pretend baking. She seems to play with the wooden fruits and veggies the most, even pretending that the lemons are cakes, etc. The wooden items we have are holding up fairly well even with frequent falls down the basement stepslol.gif

Mother to one Little Flower Childdust.gif 3/08 and one little squirmy boy babyf.gif 4/12 homebirth.jpg, Wife to fuzmalesling.gif,I am a Vegan Pagan. We familybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gif mdcblog5.gif!

Old 12-02-2010, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

We had a set of wooden sushi that was a lot of fun. I'm sorry, I can't recall the brand. We also had a set of wooden fruit. They still looked great when we passed them along to another family after years of play. DD made some felt food herself.  

As part of a gift, I'd probably get the wooden items, and then help the kids craft some felt items themselves. 

Old 12-02-2010, 01:03 PM

We mostly have wooden food and like it alot. I think all of ours is melissa and doug. We have a few felt pieces that are also a hit, especially the felt eggs which we put inside plastic easter eggs to be cracked for cooking.

Old 12-02-2010, 01:06 PM

Ours is a mix of plastic and wooden. The plastic we have is by Learning Resources. It is the stuff you find for play at childrens museums, so it really holds up. We have some plan stuff, and the M&D cutting set. I will say that the plastic stuff hurts a heck of a lot less if it gets thrown by a toddler. winky.gif The felt food is adorable, but I know it would pick up every single dog hair. I've seen some cute knitted food lately, maybe that would be better?

Old 12-02-2010, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We have a mix of felt, crocheted, plastic, and wooden, and darn it if my kids don't like the plastic best.  I like wood second best because it is easier to clean.

Old 12-02-2010, 01:45 PM

The wooden cutting set by Plan Toys gets lots of play, as does a plastic set of groceries with cutting veggies my parents got us and a Betty Crocker play set with muffins.  The only M&D thing we had (a wok set with a few cutting veggies and stuff) chipped pretty easily.  Our HABA and Plan Toys stuff still looks new.  We have some knitted things, but they are never played with.

We also have the Learning Resources Ice Cream set, which is loved.

Old 12-02-2010, 02:03 PM

If you have and animal, don't do felt.  I made a bunch that was just too cute but it ends up looking pretty disgusting. 

Old 12-02-2010, 02:04 PM

We have mostly plan foods with a few Haba and my kid loves them.  One of the best things we have is the little canvas bag that Haba sells because it makes it easy to clean up all the food (even for my 17mo old).  Plus all the food fits into the bag.

What he loves the most about the wooden food is the huge clatter it makes when he dumps it all out onto the kitchen floor.

Old 12-02-2010, 02:05 PM

ds has an educo kitchen, and wooden food by haba he prefers the wooden and it lasts a long time

homeschooling mom to coco (9/2006)

baby house to a new little (1/2015)
treehugger.gif nocirc.gif familybed1.gif cat.gif

Old 12-02-2010, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Plastic then wood.  DS had tons of Melissa and Doug stuff and it was great.  He loved it but the plastic was easier to clean up.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

Old 12-02-2010, 06:40 PM

We have mostly felt Haba food with some wood and plastic as well. I agree some of the felt stuff has gotten dog-hairy (mainly the little fries from the adorable hamburger and fries set) but we have a short haired dachshund so not a ton of hair and it hsn't been that bad overall and I think the felt is the cutest. DD has the Haba felt pizza with all the little topings, rearranging that is a huge hit, she also has the bread (velour, adorable!), cheese and cold cuts as well as bowtie pasta and she likes to make sandwiches and a melange of all the stuff (incl the gross fries) in a pot and her friends always gravitate to it. But we also have the wooden stew (super cute) and sausages, which are also very cute and very loved. I like how the Haba felt stuff has magnets to hold things together, like the little burger stays together (2 patties, lettuce, tomato) with magnets. Can you tell I love the Haba felt food? I'm getting DD the black forest cake for xmas, I think that will jazz up her tea parties! The older she gets the better the stuff is cared for, too, so that could make a difference, she's had the fries since she was 1 so they've had lots of time to get grubby...

Mama to DD 4/06 notes2.gif  new DS stork-boy.gif born 17/12/10 familybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
Old 12-03-2010, 04:22 AM

2 cats, a dog and a long-haired Mama here. No way I'd bring felt food into my house, especially no that my 8 month old has discovered the play kitchen!

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:44 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjmama View Post

We mostly have wooden food and like it alot. I think all of ours is melissa and doug. We have a few felt pieces that are also a hit, especially the felt eggs which we put inside plastic easter eggs to be cracked for cooking.

These were the first felt food that DD made herself. We had eggs that "cracked" open. One day, she took some white felt and cut it into an  amoeba-shaped, irregular round, cut an oval out of some yellow felt and stuck it on the white with some glue. The next time I cracked open an egg while we were playing, I got a little surprise. She was laughing and so excited to "get me".  lol.gif

Old 12-03-2010, 07:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We do wood and plastic.  We have animals and felt just gets too gross too fast.

Old 12-03-2010, 07:27 AM

I guess we are the exception. We have two long-haired kitties and our felt food is just fine. (Sometimes I use the lint roller on it.) We don't have a ton of pieces: a soft serve ice cream set, some pancakes, a sandwich, and an ikea set. The Ikea sets are machine washable, which is awesome! My DD prefers the felt to the wooden ones we have, which are Plan Toy. You can get decent deals on the Plan stuff at Amazon if you put it on your wish list and check regularly for the price to drop. You ca usually save 20-30%. If you have an Ikea nearby, I would absolutely pick up a couple of their felt sets since they are so inexpensive...And their dishes are great as well.

Old 12-03-2010, 07:44 AM

Several M&D food sets on amazon today for half price!

Old 12-03-2010, 08:33 AM

We have a dog and cat and we have felt food. It's done just fine. DD has a wide selection of felt food and really likes it. :)

Old 12-03-2010, 08:41 AM

Saw this thread yesterday and wanted to post that there are Melissa and Doug food sets 50% off on amazon today :). We have felt, wood, crocheted, and food made from some other cloth material(?). We love it all. We have cats and hair isn't a big bother on the felt for whatever reason. I am most fond of the wooden food. I love the cutting sets and magnetic sets, too fun! Dd who is almost 3 plays with it all.

blogging.jpg

Old 12-03-2010, 10:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

we like felt and plastic here. they seem the most realistic and the wood food is just too hard (i have a thrower), we do have the m&d sushi set but it is all chipped up. yuck.

i also just bought they ikea foods and they seem pretty cute! my absolute favorite is the haba biofino line though. the food is so fun!!

mama to one '07 and one '09
Old 12-04-2010, 09:19 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I prefer the plan toys food. Their cutting wooden food is terrific. They now have wooden fruit and meat too. We love the breakfast set. Nice quality and detail, not horrible priced, good design. Favorites in our house. Some of the haba food is good and some is not. The little cakes and cookiess are awesome. Some of the other biofino stuff is not nice at all like the sandwich. (And the biofino line of cloth is made in China). The wooden haba is nice by tiny. Our etsy felt food gets the least play with the exception of the chicken with velcro parts. I don't know why.

We have M&D as well but I don't like it. Clumsy compared to the PT and the paint chips and it looks shabby. That being said, the pizza set was a huge hit for a long time at age 2. Also, 50% lots of it today on amazon.

Old 12-05-2010, 06:50 AM

The Ikea stuff is not actually felt... it's sewn from some other fabric that is easier to clean and doesn't attract hair and dust like felt.  We have a few of their sets and they get a lot of play, and hold up very well.

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

Old 12-05-2010, 11:51 AM
jmo

We have both wooden and felt and definitely prefer the wooden.  Like others said, the felt is harder to clean.  My kids just seems to like the wooden more too.  I am not a Melissa and Doug fan.  Their stuff just does not seem that well made to me.  We have a fair amount of the Plan Toys wooden food and it has held up great over the years.  The kids love the cutting food the most.  Haba stuff is nice too.  Either one would be my choice.  I just tend to find better deals on the Plan Toys.

J, mama to H (8/05) and F (3/09)
Old 12-05-2010, 10:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

We have lots of haba and plan toys play food which are all great. There is also some felt items I made myself which the kids like a lot. We don't have pets and keep our house very clean so the felt doesn't get dirty but I could see how it might with pet hair around. I made the felt food myself, you can get a couple pieces out of one 39¢ sheet of felt and a penny's worth of thread so even if they don't last too long it's not a big investment. I made all flat foods; pancakes, cheese slices, kiwi slices, leaves for a salad, big lettuce leaf for sandwiches, butter pats, fried eggs, big tan circles that work as pizza crust or tortillas, pink rounds for meat slices, and one steak which came out great made from red and white felt. We also have a knit artichoke and lobster (who is mostly a sea creature rather than a meal) from Palumba.

User Tag List