Good fairy and princess things - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 12-02-2010, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My daughter (3.5) is really into fairies and princesses. I am trying to avoid all things Disney and to counter the myths that a princess needs to find a prince to be happy.  Any recommendations on good books would be appreciated. 

Thank you.

Kate
mother of Patrick (7/31/03), and Michael, William, and Jocelyn (4/27/07)
#2 of 10 Old 12-03-2010, 03:24 AM

Wow...

I just came on to say that we picked up a Princess Lillifee book for DD at a discount store and that it's really cute. Before I posted, I googled it... evidently, it's a whole marketing effort! There are books, a video game, a movie... anyway, it's still really cute. 

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
#3 of 10 Old 12-03-2010, 07:57 PM

OP - You might want to try posting your questions over in the Waldorf forum.  Princesses and fairies are pretty common in Waldorf education and they'll likely have some good recommendations there.

#4 of 10 Old 12-03-2010, 09:06 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)

What aspect of fairies and princesses does she really enjoy?  If it is the fancy part there are some great books like the Fancy Nancy series and the Pinkalicious series that explore being fancy and independence.  The barbie company has done a lot of fairy movies that involve no falling in love, a strong female character, and they have books to go with each (the princess movies have a strong female character who saves the day but falling in love also happens), that is probably a character you are hoping to avoid also though.  The Rainbow Fairy books may interest your dd at this age because they are predictable.  They were one of the first sets of chapter books I read to my dd and she loved them. 

#5 of 10 Old 12-04-2010, 11:49 AM

Some nice princess picture books -

Paper Princess by Elisa Kleven

Stella Princess of the Sky by Marie-Louise Gay

Princess Grace by Mary Hoffman

Princess Hyacinth The Surprising Tale of a Girl who Floated by Florence Heide

Princesses are not Quitters by Kate Lum

#6 of 10 Old 12-08-2010, 06:26 AM

The Fairy House books by Tracy Kane are great!  They are picture books with lovely illustrations and had my kids out in the yard building fairy houses several times over the last few years.  Here in New England there is a touring fairy house display that we've gone to see at a local park - really beautiful creations and they have an area with supplies for making your own as well!  We even met the author and had our books signed as well!

#7 of 10 Old 12-08-2010, 06:47 AM

We can't forget the classic "Paperbag Princess"!

There are also cool sets of fairy or princess stuff made by Playmobil.

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#8 of 10 Old 12-08-2010, 06:48 AM

Ooops... I missed that you were just looking for book recommendations.  Ignore the Playmobil idea...

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#9 of 10 Old 12-08-2010, 07:25 AM

There are tons of cute dress ups that are not Disney themed, tiara's, fairy wings, sparkly dresses, big gaudy necklaces,  LOL.  Playmobil makes a neat princess/fairy castle set and I think Fisher Price might make a Little People set like that too.  The Paper Bag Princess is a good picture book.  My 7 year old loves reading the Rainbow Magic Fairies series (these are early chapter books).  The girls/fairies always save the day and they fight against Jack frost and goblins (aka boys LOL). No prince charming and none of the weird jealousy that is Tinkerbell.......

#10 of 10 Old 12-08-2010, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianojazzgirl View Post

Ooops... I missed that you were just looking for book recommendations.  Ignore the Playmobil idea...

opppps I missed that part too. Sheepish.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page