Dentist? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 12-03-2010, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi!  I was just wondering....My son, who just turned 4, has never been to a dentist. Many moms I know (through our birth forum-so kids all similar age) were commenting on  the number of cavities all their kids have had to have filled.  I started feeling guilty that ds hasn't been yet.   He eats 90% healthy on a daily basis (worst thing might be an organic lollipop or a small scoop of ice cream, or a small piece of chocolate).  We brush twice daily (he asks me to do it, although I have him start).  He drinks mostly water, some milk, and occassionally 100% juice.  I check his teeth daily for discolouration and he never complains of a pain.  I plan to bring him in the New Year, but timing was never right before, I am not a negligent mom, but was beginning to feel one.   What are your feelings about the dentist? 

PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Sadly, Jan 21, 2011  m/c 6w5d  angel.gif
#2 of 18 Old 12-03-2010, 07:30 AM

Mine were at least 4 before they went to the dentist for the first time.  My youngest has perfect teeth, my oldest has had many cavities and has already been to an orthodontist.  They eat the same food. 

I'd probably start flossing as well as brushing and make him an appointment, just to get things checked out.

#3 of 18 Old 12-03-2010, 07:37 AM

Quote:
I'd probably start flossing as well as brushing and make him an appointment, just to get things checked out.

I agree. My DD had 3 cavities and they were all in her back teeth where the teeth touched. We didn't floss, now we do. 

#4 of 18 Old 12-03-2010, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion!  Do you think regular floss or those floss wand thingies?  His molars aren't quite touching yet, but I will start thumb.gif

PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Sadly, Jan 21, 2011  m/c 6w5d  angel.gif
#5 of 18 Old 12-03-2010, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonegirl View Post

Thanks for the suggestion!  Do you think regular floss or those floss wand thingies?  His molars aren't quite touching yet, but I will start thumb.gif

Whichever is easiest.  My oldest uses the wands alot because he's got a small mouth, there's no way I was able to get in there and floss.  It's fairly easy to floss my younger son.

#6 of 18 Old 12-03-2010, 10:13 AM

I take my kids to the dentist starting at 3 yrs old every 6 months for cleanings.

I dont allow xrays or flouride.

They dont have any cavities, but the dentist was able to show me where one tooth in DD is pitted and I pay extra attention to it, so that it doesnt turn into a cavity.

#7 of 18 Old 12-03-2010, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I start at 2 years now, we go in every 6 months for cleanings. I brought DD1 in at 2, they barely glanced in her mouth, said to come back in 1 year. Well, right at a year I noticed a dark spot on one of her teeth. I brought her to a different dentist where 6 cavities were discovered! She has very poor teeth despite brushing and flossing 2x a day. Today she is 7 and had about 15 cavities including 2 root canals. DD2 is 4 and not a thing but she still goes in every 6 months. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#8 of 18 Old 12-03-2010, 12:30 PM

I took DD for the first time right after her 4th birthday. No cavities. I was feeling like a big slacker. I had been waiting until 3, that is why my dentist recommended and somehow the year got away from us. They counted her teeth and scraped them. She wouldn't go for the polishing bc she has toothpaste issues (she will not use it).

#9 of 18 Old 12-03-2010, 01:24 PM

I didn't take ds until this last year when he was 4.5 yrs. We were still having trouble having him cooperating at the physicians office (wouldn't open his mouth, would cry/scream etc). He is VERY  reserved with new situations and people. I didn't see the point if he wouldn't even open his mouth for them. When we did take him it still took a lot of cajoling/bribing and me sitting right next to him on the chair. He also ended up going just last week for the second (6 month cleaning), it actually wasn't any better. Still very shy and barely let them clean them. They just end up brushing them with a toothbrush and it seems like an awfully expensive dentist visit for toothbrushing and flossing....but no signs of cavities or any problems. At home he brushes (or half the time we brush them) twice a day. We've tried getting him to floss with those little pick flossers, but he just uses them to pick under his nails.eyesroll.gif

#10 of 18 Old 12-04-2010, 08:45 AM

I took my dd at 3 or 4. Ended up taking her to 3-4 dentists,because the first was talking caps and such.The second wanted to do 3 amalgam fillings.The last did 2 composite and no need to numb. Get a second opinion and also stay with your child.I have always stayed with mine,but some don't and their kids are handled quite poorly.

#11 of 18 Old 12-04-2010, 11:16 AM

I have always had bad enamel on my teeth, no matter how well I take care of them, so I started taking my kids to the dentist as soon as I could..just to be proactive.  We eat healthily, the kids don't eat much candy or juice.   We brush regularly.  The only thing we didn't start doing until recently is flossing, and my girls have both had cavities in the back of the mouth, between teeth.  Our dentist calls them "flossing cavities" and says they are the most common.  Needless to say, we are flossing regularly now! We find the wand floss to work the best, specifically the ones made for children.  They are easy for the kids to get in their mouths, even my 4-year-old can do it. 

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.
K (6): C (8): B (1/13/12) homeschool.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed2.gif

#12 of 18 Old 12-07-2010, 07:05 AM

My dentist told me to wait till DD was 4 and then bring her in.  They counted her teeth and brushed them, no cavities (she was still nursing until she was 4).  They offered x rays and flouride but had no problem that I said no.  We take her every 6 months and she loves going to the dentist because she gets a toy from the treasure box and a free toothbrush!

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
#13 of 18 Old 12-07-2010, 07:42 AM
Banned

I start taking mine to a pediatric dentist between 18 months - 2 years.  No cavities here. 

#14 of 18 Old 12-09-2010, 02:50 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

LO is 3.5 and we have his first appointment tomorrow. I feel like it should have been done at 2 and I really feel bad about it. He has a healthy diet and whatever and very good adult teeth run in my family. But my baby teeth were a mess and LO's family has bad teeth so I am expecting something bad. My moms thinks it was all those bottles in bed and honey on my pacifier. Oh!

#15 of 18 Old 12-09-2010, 04:15 PM

I started taking my kids at around 2yo. They also come with me when I go- dh & I make our appts for the same day, one after the other so we can switch off on looking after the kids. When I'm in the chair, they like to come in and watch me get my teeth cleaned. Our dentist encouraged this because it lets the child know that it's ok, it doesn't hurt, etc. They don't stay in there the whole time of course, dh takes them & goes for a walk, plays, etc.

We also "play dentist" at home. Usually one of the times we brush their teeth per day we have them sit backwards on the toilet and lie down (we sit on the tub) with their head in our lap. Then we have a big ole conversation: "Hello, and welcome to the dentist office. What's your name? Do you have any brothers or sisters?" LOL They love that, and according to our dentist it gives us the best angle for which to brush their teeth.

I had bad teeth growing up, we never went to the dentist & paid for it big time when I finally started to go in my 20s so I  wanted to be proactive as well, and to make sure my kids were comfortable seeing the dentist from an early age. Neither of them have had any cavities, tho ds does have a little pitting on the front surface of one of his front teeth.

Amanda - wife to DH Kellyjog.gif, Mummers to Trentreading.gif born 03/03/05 Bridgetdust.gif born 08/08/07 and a IT'S A BOY! Kennedy babyboy.gifborn 02/20/11!
#16 of 18 Old 12-09-2010, 04:37 PM

My dentist doesn't like to see the kids till they are 3 unless there are issues. So starting at 3 I take my kids in for cleanings and checkups. Don't do floride and need to look into the sealant as they want to put that on my 10yo teeth when we come in next. Non of mine have had cavities (knock on wood) and the last 2 were/are all night nursers. I like the floss wands for ease of use.

Don't feel like a bad mom, some kids won't even let the dentist in their mouths when they are really young. We also don't do the pediatric dentist, I bring the kids to the dentist I have seen my whole life and he does a wonderful job.

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#17 of 18 Old 12-10-2010, 01:03 PM

We started taking the kids when they were around 18 months. At first the dentist didnt' do much - looked in there, counted teeth, etc. We have a super awesome pediatric dentist and both kids really like going now. My DH is actually in charge of teeth and he plays dentist w/the kids. My parents didn't take me to the dentist until I was three and I already had five cavities. I have quite deep grooves in my teeth and so does my son - I think it's genetic. Both kids have always been fine with going. I think that is partly because the dentist folks are all really cool. But, we'd take them either way - I think keeping your teeth healthy is pretty important.

#18 of 18 Old 12-14-2010, 08:49 AM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Well, we went this week and they did xrays and a cleaning. DS handled it really well. No cavities! Hurrah. All that night time nursing "cause problems."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page