My 7 yr old started her period tonight - I'm concerned! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 31 Old 12-04-2010, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Nothing I can do until Mon morning, I'll take her to the pedi.  She is very ok with it, and I was careful not to worry her with my own concerns.  She turned 7 three wks ago.  But from what I'm reading, she seems very underweight to start her period.  She is tall for her age but falls within the low percentile of weight for her height.  She doesn't even weigh 60 lbs! (Could be even less, it's been a while since we recorded her weight)

I would be grateful for any insight any Mama's can give me.  Good or bad.  I need as much information as possible.  I know other health issues can cause bleeding that looks like a period, but I won't know anything more until the Dr sees her.

Trying not to worry.  horrors.gif

Wife to Hank , Mommy to Gabriella 6.5 yrs Anthony 28 monthsand 3 angels wait for me in Heaven Praying to be a Proverbs 31 woman!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 31 Old 12-04-2010, 09:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

no advice, just hugs.  

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#3 of 31 Old 12-04-2010, 09:57 PM

Have you called the doctor's after-hours line?

#4 of 31 Old 12-04-2010, 10:30 PM

Oh my.... I wouldn't have assumed it was a period!  If it was my 7 year old I would definitely call the after hours line.  If your doctor doesn't have one I'm sure there's somewhere you can call in your area- ???  Keep up posted. Hugs

wool.gif~Kristen~chicken3.gif 
WAHMama to Skylar Adrianna (age 9), Tabitha Abigail (age 7), Trinity Grace Kate (age 5) and Kaya Victoria Ruth (age 2)
#5 of 31 Old 12-04-2010, 10:41 PM

Don't answer this online but did she have the other signs of beginning puberty (development of chest, hair growth, etc.) prior to this?

I *think* all that happens first so if you've not seen it I would be thinking something other than period and be taking her in I think.

That's so young! I'm glad you were calm for her and she's taking it well!

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#6 of 31 Old 12-04-2010, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbgrace View Post

Don't answer this online but did she have the other signs of beginning puberty (development of chest, hair growth, etc.) prior to this?

I *think* all that happens first so if you've not seen it I would be thinking something other than period and be taking her in I think.

That's so young! I'm glad you were calm for her and she's taking it well!

I agree with sbgrace that my first thought wouldnt necessarily be her menstrual cycle.  Has she noticed any other signs?  I think that having a frank talk with her about what is going on *down there* might be in order, sometimes vaginal infections can cause bleeding and a young girl wouldnt know what is *normal* and what isnt kwim? 

#7 of 31 Old 12-05-2010, 05:46 AM

In the absence of other signs of puberty for me this would warrant a weekend visit to a clinic or the ER. 

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#8 of 31 Old 12-05-2010, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Thank's Mama's.  I have put in a call to the on-call Dr.  It's Sunday, lunch time, and will see what he/she advises.  Today DD said there was a tiny amount of blood when she wiped, and she says it stings when she goes.  No blood spots on her undies though today.  I'll update when I can.

Wife to Hank , Mommy to Gabriella 6.5 yrs Anthony 28 monthsand 3 angels wait for me in Heaven Praying to be a Proverbs 31 woman!!
#9 of 31 Old 12-05-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscany123 View Post

Thank's Mama's.  I have put in a call to the on-call Dr.  It's Sunday, lunch time, and will see what he/she advises.  Today DD said there was a tiny amount of blood when she wiped, and she says it stings when she goes.  No blood spots on her undies though today.  I'll update when I can.

If it stings when she's going to the bathroom I might be thinking UTI?  I was prone to them as a child so that might be my first guess (although I never had bleeding with them, so I don't know).

#10 of 31 Old 12-05-2010, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

If it burns when she pees, it's quite possible she has a UTI. Sometimes I get them so bad that I have blood when I wipe.

Mama to 5 busy bees (12, 9, 7, 3, 2) and expecting #6 June/2014

#11 of 31 Old 12-05-2010, 12:28 PM

Is it possible she might have broken her hymen while exploring her body?

#12 of 31 Old 12-05-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianojazzgirl View Post

In the absence of other signs of puberty for me this would warrant a weekend visit to a clinic or the ER. 

agreed.

Though, with what you posted last, OP, it doesn't sound at all like a first period. 

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#13 of 31 Old 12-05-2010, 12:37 PM

From the update, it sounds like an infection.  Hope she can get seen and tested.  Poor kid, that must be a scary thing to see at that age.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#14 of 31 Old 12-05-2010, 01:06 PM

I too would be thinking infection, or a broken hymen, rather than period-- unless the child was very clearly showing all the other signs of imminent menarche-- breast development, body hair, etc.

Not for nothing, but when my hymen first broke (I will spare you the details!) it bled, like spotting, for a day or so afterwards, and it stung quite a bit. I remember wondering if I was walking funny, because it hurt, and if people would notice. And a girl might easily have done that, in any number of ways.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#15 of 31 Old 12-05-2010, 01:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llyra View Post

AI too would be thinking infection, or a broken hymen, rather than period-- unless the child was very clearly showing all the other signs of imminent menarche-- breast development, body hair, etc.

Not for nothing, but when my hymen first broke (I will spare you the details!) it bled, like spotting, for a day or so afterwards, and it stung quite a bit. I remember wondering if I was walking funny, because it hurt, and if people would notice. And a girl might easily have done that, in any number of ways.

Ditto - on all accounts ;0)

Hugs to you, OP and congrats for creating an open relationship with DD, one in which she can come to you about these things!!!
#16 of 31 Old 12-05-2010, 01:48 PM

I bled one day when I was 9, no puberty signs.  I don't remember stinging or anything, but it wasn't a UTI.  The dr. guessed I broke my hymen somehow, like falling on the bike? and no I wasn't exploring my body.  ;)  I really don't know what happened and that was that.  Got AF when I was 12.

DD 8 and DS 4 ribbonorange.gif

#17 of 31 Old 12-05-2010, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)

Did she have a fall?  Even a small cut could sting.  If she had a really big poop she may have got a small cut on her rectum that is bleeding and she may be mistaking the source of the blood.  A cut there could also sting depending on how she sits when she pees.

#18 of 31 Old 12-05-2010, 05:33 PM
Banned

My 4 year old DD has had two UTIs in the last year and both times there was blood, so it could be that.

#19 of 31 Old 12-05-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by One_Girl View Post

If she had a really big poop she may have got a small cut on her rectum that is bleeding and she may be mistaking the source of the blood.  A cut there could also sting depending on how she sits when she pees.

Second this.  Not to get into TMI territory but lets just say a fissure can easily rival a period for blood amount with no other cause but constipation.   

#20 of 31 Old 12-05-2010, 05:44 PM

This exact same thing happened to me at 9 too also got AF at 12.  GL mama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyTeesa View Post

I bled one day when I was 9, no puberty signs.  I don't remember stinging or anything, but it wasn't a UTI.  The dr. guessed I broke my hymen somehow, like falling on the bike? and no I wasn't exploring my body.  ;)  I really don't know what happened and that was that.  Got AF when I was 12.

Angel, teaches Psych, married to Martin, chiropractor since 06/25/05 , Mama to DS, Quinn 7/11/07 and DD, Eliza 8/2/10 :
#21 of 31 Old 12-05-2010, 05:44 PM

I fell on my bike at that age and spotted for two days. I got checked at a clinic and had broken my hymen.
#22 of 31 Old 12-05-2010, 08:57 PM

Poor baby! I agree, it sounds more like a UTI or possibly a broken hymen. Keep us updated! Good luck.

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.
K (6): C (8): B (1/13/12) homeschool.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed2.gif

#23 of 31 Old 12-06-2010, 11:35 AM

Hi I am a psychology major at Michigan State University and I have some advice for you. The age of menarche is steady changing. This comes from the diet your child chooses to consume, and your child's environment. The environment in the home, typically the parents relationship can affect your child's development. With all that stress it can cause early development that is seen as abnormal. Ask your child how does she feel? Is she happy or upset? If so, what problems are making her feel that way? Communicate with your children. She maybe 7, but she has feelings also. Don't be worried it's most likely stress. :-)

#24 of 31 Old 12-07-2010, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsHoneyBee07 View Post

Hi I am a psychology major at Michigan State University and I have some advice for you. The age of menarche is steady changing. This comes from the diet your child chooses to consume, and your child's environment. The environment in the home, typically the parents relationship can affect your child's development. With all that stress it can cause early development that is seen as abnormal. Ask your child how does she feel? Is she happy or upset? If so, what problems are making her feel that way? Communicate with your children. She maybe 7, but she has feelings also. Don't be worried it's most likely stress. :-)

I'm sorry, but I don't believe this.  My friend is a pediatric endocrinologist who teaches at the medical school... this is her very research.  The clinical findings are that early onset of menses is related to genetics and body weight.  Obesity is the leading indicator where there is no genetic connection, based on medical research.  My grand-niece had/has precocious puberty, so I talked to my friend about it and she explained the findings of her field.  It's not even related to hormones in food, according to what they have found.

You'll have to show some clinical research results that stress causes precocious puberty for me to believe it.  Sorry.

madcap150 and Minxie like this.
#25 of 31 Old 12-07-2010, 05:03 AM

I have a graduate degree in child psychology. I second velochic. 

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif
#26 of 31 Old 12-07-2010, 07:20 AM

Did want to mention I don't think it sounds like a period I always bled or spotted blood with UTI.  My cousin  had an incident of bleeding I think it was more closer to 8 but no one really found out the 'answer and she didn't get her real AF until she was 13 .

#27 of 31 Old 12-07-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:

OH MY!  I would have been very offended if you said this to me.  I also agree with the poster who said that show some proof of stress being a start to an early period... You may be a psychology major at Mich State- that's great but why do you think you can suggest her daughter has added stress and that "she has feelings also"? When did the OP ever suggest that there's stress in her life???  Just because you're studying something doesn't mean you can hop on a problem someone is having and think you know the answer.  Do you even have children?

MommyTeesa likes this.

wool.gif~Kristen~chicken3.gif 
WAHMama to Skylar Adrianna (age 9), Tabitha Abigail (age 7), Trinity Grace Kate (age 5) and Kaya Victoria Ruth (age 2)
#28 of 31 Old 12-07-2010, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristen View Post

Quote:

OH MY!  I would have been very offended if you said this to me.  I also agree with the poster who said that show some proof of stress being a start to an early period... You may be a psychology major at Mich State- that's great but why do you think you can suggest her daughter has added stress and that "she has feelings also"? When did the OP ever suggest that there's stress in her life???  Just because you're studying something doesn't mean you can hop on a problem someone is having and think you know the answer.  Do you even have children?

I agree.

OP, my dd did the same thing this past summer at age 9. No bleeding since. It seems to be becoming more common. It could be the hymen-especially with active bike or horse riders, or it could just be a hormone thing. My daughter's was not a UTI.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#29 of 31 Old 12-08-2010, 08:23 AM

Any update? DId you see the pedi?

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#30 of 31 Old 12-08-2010, 08:38 AM

On more thing I shudder to even mention, but is there any remote possibility that she could have been abused by some male in her life? Not to worry you, but I'm just trying to think of what else might cause this. I hope you figure it out and it turns out to be something completely innocuous, like constipation, as others have mentioned.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page