A vent about the IL's and Santa - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 61 Old 12-19-2010, 04:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I would just talk to your kids about the whole santa thing,and remind them that it is a pretend activity many families play with young children,but  your family does not. I find it rather sad that some feel the holidays can not be *special* without the lie of santa. I wonder how the kids at my childrens school feel;the kids who do not celebrate something during December.

My ds was recently put on the spot at his school because the majority of kids(6-9) are santa believers,and they could not get over the fact that my ds was not.They told him santa would die if he did not believe in him.Told him santa IS real because the teachers believe in santa. Lol, I even had a mom call and complain to me,and the principal pull me aside and BOTH  say I needed to talk to ds,because his non-believing was causing issues for the other kids.Essentially ds was *ruinning* christmas for other little kids by not believing.  LOL.  I don't see why parents did not talk to THEIR kids and tell them some kids don't celebrate the holidays with a visit from santa.No,unfortunately it is up to me and my kids to preserve the myth for others regardless of what we celebrate.

I would  get the doll if you think she really wants it,and put another gift away for a  birthday.I was going to say the inlaws should buy it,but that will just keep this santa issue going,and that is not want you want. The holidays can be special without all the pretending. I would be making sure the kids knew mom and dad bought the gifts not santa,but no need to do that on  christmas day.My kiddos asked for a few things,and I told them I would buy what I can.They know our funds are limited.

I would probably have a talk with the inlaws too(privately) and remind them that santa is not done in your home.Skip the santa mall visits too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page