We don't believe in Santa Claus. - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-28-2010, 01:46 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)

Quote:

I'm glad to see people(Religious ) celebrating what they believe is the true meaning of Christmas and not the Pagan part (Santa ,tree decorations,etc).

With that being said someone here mentioned that we should not lie to our children and while I agree to a point what is the difference in me saying Santa is "real" than saying God or Jesus is real? 

Most Christain families would be upset if my child or any other child told your child God or Jesus was not real,Correct?

So why would it be okay for another child or adult to tell a Santa believing family he's not real?

I believe every one has the right to believe in whatever Religion or lack there of one they choose I however don't think anyone has the right to infringe on another persons beliefs,whether it's Santa,God,Jesus,faries or the flying purple people eater.

we totally agree with this!

I find some of what is being said on this thread creepy too - 

Quote:
On a related topic, one of DH's cousins do Santa (and are very very very mainstream) and introduced this "Elf on the Shelf" thing this year.

we love the elf-one persons creepy is not another's (say for god and jesus as well)

I hate to think some parents might infringe their personal creepies/beleifs on their children- I see so little tolerance in some who claim such devotion (for religious reasons) and have actually found non-religious believes far more tolerant and teaching their children tolerance of others religious customs.

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2010, 03:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I would say that DH and I are agnostic, and have never pushed any type of belief system (in terms of the major religions) on DD.  Disclaimer:  I don't think that "values" and "religious" leanings need to be inclusive.  DD, who is four, views Santa in much the same way that she views other fictional characters.  A Santa that she sees at Macy's is no different than the actors who parade up and down the avenues of Manhattan in Dora the Explorer or Statute of Liberty costumes.  They are merely characters to her.

Tough conversations, though, go something like this:  "Why doesn't [insert neighbor's name here] celebrate Hanukkah?"  I find these questions a little harder to deal with (with a four year old) than with questions about other traditions and religions.  It is easy to explain why other people do the things they do.  I find it a lot harder to explain why we are different because of our own traditions.  I'm sure it will get easier as DD develops.    But, explaining why we do things differently than people in our building and in the larger world is really tough.  I think it is really hard for a child to wrap her mind around the idea of being different, or at least celebrating traditions that are different than others'.  

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampered_mom View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharon71 View Post

I'm glad to see people(Religious ) celebrating what they believe is the true meaning of Christmas and not the Pagan part (Santa ,tree decorations,etc).

With that being said someone here mentioned that we should not lie to our children and while I agree to a point what is the difference in me saying Santa is "real" than saying God or Jesus is real? 

Most Christain families would be upset if my child or any other child told your child God or Jesus was not real,Correct?

So why would it be okay for another child or adult to tell a Santa believing family he's not real?

I believe every one has the right to believe in whatever Religion or lack there of one they choose I however don't think anyone has the right to infringe on another persons beliefs,whether it's Santa,God,Jesus,faries or the flying purple people eater.

I'm not clear on what place your first point has to do with the thread at hand (nor do I accept your distinction between the "real" or "true" meaning of Christmas vs the "Pagan" part or this idea that "Pagan" and "Religious" are different or somehow the antithesis of each other).  It's going to be difficult to avoid the conflicts that will arise when people hold varying beliefs or cultural norms.  I think it's safe to say that your comments about non-Santa believers applies equally to the Santa-believers as well, correct?

I did not mean to imply anything bad in my 1st sentence,I think you may have taken my post wrongly,I'll try to explain.

In my first sentence  I meant that I have heard many Christians say negative things about Pagan type holidays yet those same Christians then turn around and celebrateChristmas and Easter with Trees and related decorations same with dying eggs ,etc. I was nice to finally see some staying true to their beliefs without being hyopcritical.

and yes I guess my comment applies to both santa and non santa believers and I thought that was clear in my previous post.

I don't want you (general you) telling my child that Santa is a game or fake any more than a God believing person wants me to tell them their God is not real.

maybe there's an easier way to have worded my posts to get my points across,but I have a tendancy to ramble. LOL

I'm sorry if my other post offended anyone it was not my intention.

Sharon wife to my hero James and  momma to Kaitlyn 17, Tayler 15 and Anna 7.fur momma to Kami  pit/boxer mix.

User Tag List