childrens vitamin overdose likely Q's?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 11 Old 12-15-2010, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter
 
cmoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 691
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My husband just took our 4.5 yr old daughter to the ER because we believe she ate around 25 childrens gummy vitamins. She would not tell us but our oldest said he saw her with them earlier today. She was not exhibiting any signs of an overdose as of 20 min ago when they left...but we wanted to take her in to be sure.

 

I'm not sure what I am looking for other than just some btdt moms and the outcome? How likely is it that she will get sick...do all kids mutivitamins contain the same amount of iron? What are the other vitamins that could pose a risk?

 

The were Natures plus animal bubble gum flavor multi's...

 

Thanks for any info you all might be able to share

 


 

cmoma is offline  
#2 of 11 Old 12-15-2010, 08:27 PM
 
pregnant@40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 585
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Some childrens' gummies contain no iron. Did you read the bottle?

pregnant@40 is offline  
#3 of 11 Old 12-15-2010, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter
 
cmoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 691
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The nurse at the ER called Poison Control she would of needed to eaten 77 of them for an overdose, she ate around 25. So all should be ok. just needs to be seen by the Dr on call.

 

the iron level was low 1 mg per 2 gummies...

cmoma is offline  
#4 of 11 Old 12-15-2010, 08:40 PM
 
pregnant@40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 585
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Well, per Dr. Sears the daily iron requirement is 10 mg for her age. So 12.5mg is nothing to worry about, and there is nothing else in her gummies to worry about. Your daughter should be fine!

 

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/t043100.asp

pregnant@40 is offline  
#5 of 11 Old 12-15-2010, 08:43 PM
 
pregnant@40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 585
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Articles about iron overdose in children (should reassure you):

 

 

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0816/is_3_21/ai_n6358449/

and

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1011689-overview

 

10mg/kg body weight is an overdose amount

pregnant@40 is offline  
#6 of 11 Old 12-16-2010, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter
 
cmoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 691
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

thanks!

cmoma is offline  
#7 of 11 Old 12-17-2010, 04:40 PM
 
meemee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Norther California
Posts: 12,755
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

yup everything should be good.

 

and yeah in cases like this Poison control is the real authority - not so much ER.

 

my ped had asked us to keep an eye for diahhrhea and dd had none. 


 treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
meemee is online now  
#8 of 11 Old 12-17-2010, 09:11 PM
 
JudiAU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Posts: 3,593
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

In the future, I'd call poison control first. They'll figure out overdose levels and if you need to the ER and/or if there is behavior to be concerned about. When talking to them last week (sigh), I learned that it would be pretty rare for a child to OD off of a child's product. Usually, the child needs to take too much of an adult product. (i.e. when DS drank 3/4 bottle of child ibuprofen because it was "tasty") OD level would have been a bottle and a half.

JudiAU is offline  
#9 of 11 Old 12-18-2010, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter
 
cmoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 691
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

yup lesson learned Poinson Control first! Thats exactly what the nurse at the ER did...

cmoma is offline  
#10 of 11 Old 12-19-2010, 02:14 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hopefully everything is OK.

 

Those damn gummy vitamins can taste good and be addictive!

Stacey12 is offline  
#11 of 11 Old 12-20-2010, 06:15 AM
 
Anastasiya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,570
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


When our son was 20 months old, he knew how to open childproof bottle lids....and he proceeded to eat an entire container of Flintstones. The first thing they asked at poison control was if they contained iron, which they didn't. Thank God! Nothing wrong with him except for bright yellow pee for a few days!

Glad your kiddo is fine. smile.gif
Anastasiya is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off