How much do you spend on your kids' extracurricular activities? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-16-2011, 09:36 AM
MJB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My boys are only 5 and 8 so we limit it to one activity at a time (usually one game and one practice). Right now they are playing basketball, in the spring and fall they do soccer. They can do more in the summer but during the school year, one is enough. Next year we might let them do 2 activities at a time but I think all-day kindergarten is time-consuming enough for a 5yo. 

Most of the sports they play are about $75 for 6-8 weeks. My big guy will be on a more competitive, more expensive soccer team next fall but the "developmental" teams are pretty cheap. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2011, 09:46 AM

Dd is 6 and does:

swimming = ~ $17 a week (year round)

dance = ~ $1000 for the year (end of aug - may)

Odyssey of the Mind = ~ $30 for the season (sept-march)

Ds is 2 and just has swimming about the same cost as above.

This is on top of our homeschool co-op and classes with that. Also doesn't include homeschool classes at the arboretum and museums.

-Angela

Old 01-16-2011, 10:13 AM

DD1 - (age 7) has tumbling once a week at around $65 a month, she also does Daisies which was more of an initial investment (her vest, books, patches and a years worth of dues) but doesn't cost much otherwise.

DD2 - (age 3) has preschool gymnastics once a week (would normally be $65 a month for each of the younger two but DH does sidework at the gym to help with tuition).

DD3 - (age 3) has preschool gymnastics once a week (see above).

We also usually have a zoo membership but we haven't renewed it yet this year.

Even with just doing basically one or two activities a week, I feel that my oldest DD is overscheduled sometimes (she is in 1st grade) so we definitely wouldn't do any more than that. 

Full Time Student & Mommy to 3 princesses! 9/03, 2/07 & 2/07

Old 01-16-2011, 10:33 AM

My most expensive kid is 14 so he really doesn't fit here but he plays ice hockey - mmmm yeah.  when he started the gear was about $350 and the season was $1500 for Sept-Feb.  Now that he's older just his skates are $300 and the season is $2400 - August - March plus at least two hotel stays a month.  We just got the price for High School Lacross and that will run us about $800 this year

DS#2 is on a competitive Lego Robotics team at his elementary school which is $30 for 2x a week for 8 weeks. One $10 t-shirt fee for the regional competition and another $10 if they go to state.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:46 AM

Until this month, my children (age 6) have never been involved in a weekly/monthly activity or sport.  They have taken art classes at our local art gallery in the summers.  They usually take 3-4 four-day art sessions per summer at a cost of $65/child/session – so ~ $195-$260 each summer.  They’ve also been in week-long summer nature camps costing ~$100/week/child.

This month they started weekly tennis lessons on Saturdays.  The cost is $368/eight week session.

Similar to pp’s, we’ve limited our activities to avoid over-scheduling.  The children really want to take piano lessons and riding lessons but I do not want our lives to be so scheduled and hectic and cannot see how we can fit it in with their school/homework.  If we decide to home-school next year, we will increase our activities.

Old 01-16-2011, 05:08 PM

DD is 4.5 and her only set activity outside preschool is yoga. It's $10 a weekly class. She's already asking about joining Girl Scouts when she starts kindergarten, which I would love for her to do, but I have no idea if she'll have the stamina for an after school activity at first! If a group preschool music class came along that fit into our schedule we'd do that--maybe this summer something will work. In the summer I take her to weekly children's chamber music concerts (free).

Old 01-17-2011, 06:27 PM

DD (5) has 3 activities a week (plus 1/2 day kindergarten).

- Sparks (Lowest level of Girl Guides - $150/year I think? Maybe less?)

- Dance ($60 for a 10-week session - next year I'm putting her into a real dance school probably so will be more)

- Swimming ($60ish for a 10-week session)

And DS also does swimming, so another $60 for 10-week session.

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif
Old 01-17-2011, 10:49 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

We've had a wide range of expenses. We do a lot of activities that require admission but don't go to any of them enough to maintain memberships. At least 2-3 a month we go somewhere that is $20-30 to enter.

DS is in preschool 9-12 pm so that limits our options. It is really enough for him to go, catch a nap, and go to the park when he wakes up. But preschool is horribly expensive and so is our nanny.

All of the sports/music/anything expenses around here are usually at least $20/per session so around $80/month for random Music Together classes.

Among our preschool friends, a lot of the kids go to 2-3 activities in addition to their preschool class. I think it is too much, both in expense, effort, and scheduling.

The last one someone suggested was playing soccer after preschool. This required in a professional coach at $25/hour/PER CHILD. They are THREE.

Old 02-08-2011, 05:41 AM - Thread Starter

oops, started the thread but didn't include my own numbers.

In US $ equivalents, regularly scheduled activities DC do:

DSalmost 3yo + DS11yo: nothing, unless you count toddler groups, which I don't, because they're mostly for me :)!.

DS6yo: Weekly Sports-skills afterschool club : $4/45 mins.  Swimming: $7/half hour.

That leaves DD, 9, who is what you might call over-scheduled, but it's very much what she wants and doesn't seem to affect her badly in any way. She does:

Once a week each 10-20 min group Piano and 10-20 min group violin music lessons in school hours, plus afterschool music club for 45 mins: $14/week.

Judo, usually only once a week: $4/2 hours

Brownies, 33 weeks/year: $4.50/90 mins.

Swim lesson: $7/half hour

Gymnastics: $6/hour

Horse riding (about 25x/year): $23/half hour individual lesson (bargain price)

The tricky bit is a lot of DD's activities have extras, additional competitions or other events she can attend. Sometimes our weekends get busy with those, too.

~ Yank Transplant to Britain and Zookeeper of 4 DC age 15 and under. ~
Old 02-08-2011, 09:24 AM

DS1 is 6, DS2 is 4, and aside from the $85 or so for children's museum membership for the year, they have no extracurriculars that we spend money on.  I am currently loosely giving ds1 piano lessons.  I don't think he could handle an organized activity during the week after school.  Maybe on the weekend, but we have no extra money for anything right now, unfortunately.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:26 PM

DD does horseback riding weekly for $150/month and piano weekly for $90/month. It's so worth it. 2 activities is plenty for us.

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:15 PM

I have four children.

My daughter does swim team, which is the most expensive $400/season, and runs from September to Feb.

Swim lessons $100/8 weeks for 2 children

Music lessons for DS $80/month

So, we prob spend about $130 monthly for the swim lessons and music lessons, and a one time $400 for DD's swim team. Some of this may change, as my two younger DD's get older and start to want to do extra things. We are taking the next session of swim lessons off from the Y to kinda "reboot" fiscally and time wise from the insanity of holidays and weather.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:45 PM

Ds is 3 and isn't doing anything yet.

Dd is 6 and does swimming lessons (I think it's $65 for 10 weeks), and violin lessons ($75 a month). 

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

Old 02-12-2011, 11:06 AM

It varies from season to season, but overall last year it was something like this:

DD(7) - hockey $450 for season

plus some new equipment ($?), tournament fees $50

figure skating - free (totally subsidized)

softball - $25

Now she wants to learn to play the piano. Hopefully we can get some free lessons from her cousin.

DD(3) - swimming 3 sessions - $60 (one for 5 wks the others for 10 wks) = $180

figure skating - free

Dance - 1 session was about $70

My DH, said "you actually paid for her to jump and run around in a room". She was the wild child in the class, and probably always will be.

Our DD(1) doesn't do anything yet, but will probably do a mom & tot swim with me this spring or summer.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:46 PM

We are just now starting to get in to extracurricular activities.  Dd is 6, ds1 is almost 4 and ds2 is almost 1.

DD-

Ballet & Modern Dance- $60 for 5 classes or $14 a class (you can choose not to go some days or not, very relaxed.)

Girl Scouts- $17 a year, $2 a month of dues (which she does chores for.)

DS1-

I've been trying to set up private lessons at the university, but they haven't been getting back to me.  I think the cost for this will be $60 for 6 lessons (at one a week.)  

DS2-

Nothing, he just gets dragged around to all of this, poor kid.

We also pay for private school for dd and eventually the other two as well, and have a membership at the zoo for the family.

Mama of three.

Old 02-12-2011, 03:38 PM

My girls are 8 and 9, and are super high energy: both physical and mental. They would do a lot more activities if I let them, even though I feel like they are almost too busy at different points of the year. I never did anything as a kid so sometimes it seems a little crazy, but they enjoy it all so much and I feel they get a lot out of it.

Both of them do:

Soccer Academy (no tournaments or anything so it's just one day a week after school for a couple hours): $80 per kid, 3 times a year.

Flamenco classes: $10 a week per kid.

Science Saturday school: $152 for each of them, twice a year.

Various summer camps: usually chess, some type of science, and something athletic: total of around $850, maybe a bit more for a couple of weeks, full day.

Last year DD1 did Lego Robotics League which had dues of like $110 or something, plus we had to buy tickets to Legoland for a tournament which totaled about $100. This year both will participate, but the dues should be a bit lower as we can reuse the robot kits, don't know the price yet.

Girl Scouts: Something like $36 per kid per year.

DD1 does does whatever after school activity she wants on their half days, usually costs around $120, three times a year.

DD2 does chess class on their half days, $125, three times a year.

They also skateboard which I just spent $160 on for their protective gear, which I will probably have to replace about half of it later in the year.

Mama to 3 awesome girls: DD1 born 2001, DD2 born 2002, DD3 born March 2011

Old 02-12-2011, 04:17 PM

Our expenses (and income) have varied over the years. When my kids were little, we did a lot of free stuff like library story times, playing at the park, and swimming in our apartment community pool. We also took an occasional cheap Parks and Rec class.

For the last couple of years, my income has gone up and our activities have gotten accordingly more expensive. Let's see, now we have...

$700/summer - both kids - semi private swim lessons
$150/spring season - dd - softball, including registration and equipment
$300/fall semester - both kids - chess club

Also:

$150/year zoo membership
$84/year family pass for public swimming pools
Old 02-14-2011, 11:10 AM

Right now we are not involved in any classes outside of school (except for my oldest who plays in the school band).  At school my kids have music lessons and Espanol.  We've taken December through February off from any classes.

But we will probably do swimming for my 3 big kids, baseball for my boys, and ballet for my daughter (newly 4).  We tend to do less formal classes during the school year since their school can be pretty intense.  Also we are big on exploring activities on our own, through the Boys and Girls club (very affordable) and the library. 

We will also do piano lesson in the summer...

But really outside of school my kids are content to build things, ride bikes, climb trees. 

My kids are 9, 6, 4 and 15 months. 

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

Old 04-07-2011, 08:10 AM

I posted in a thread similar to this a year ago and it's interesting to see how things have changed in only a year. So, for my 11-year-old 5th grader:

Golf league 1: $85/yr

golf league 2: $125/yr

private lessons: $85/yr

flag football 1: $25/yr

flag football 2: $80/yr

dance, 2 classes: $45/month for 5 months = $225/yr

orchestra 1: $0

orchestra 2: $160/yr

summer clinic: $25

clothes/equipment:

jazz shoes $45

leotards $40

trail shoes (use for football, golf, summer camp) $80

polo shirts $35

golf clubs $150/yr

cello repairs/strings/music/rosin/incidentals: $200/yr

total: $1360 $113.33/month

Extras: summer camp ($250-$1400), University classes $200/yr 

Summer camp is usually no more than $250, the $1400 is a once-in-a-lifetime camp and we are trying to get a scholarship and/or financial assistance.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:21 PM

Dd will be 4 a few weeks:

Ballet (sept-may) free as she dances in my class
Gymnastics (sept-June) 450 for the year
Swim ( I regular session, 2 private 400 total

Me: Shannon (33) mom to DD Everly born May 9, 2007 and Maisie born May 26
: : :
Old 04-08-2011, 11:44 AM

DD does dance classes that add up to about $80 mo. total (since there is a discount for multiple classes).  My boys don't really have one thing that they are super connected to (like DD and her dance) but they do pick and choose some kind of physical activity/non-competative sport at the YMCA for most of the year, which tends to run in the $30ish/mo range (hard to break down, since it's a lump sum for a season).  If there is an after school activity at their school that piques their interest, I will let them do it if they want, with some individual limits based on their stamina.  DD has a high need for physical activity to keep her happy and healthy--so even though she already does dance 2 times a week, I said yes to her also doing the elementary track team (another two days, after school) as well as her swimming lessons.  Neither of the boys can handle that much activity, they need more downtime at home.  So I max them out at 1 physical activity of their choice (plus non-negotiable swimming lessons).

This spring, my sons asked me if they could do two after school activities because neither was interested in indoor soccer or t-ball at this moment, but the school was offering chess and lego clubs.  They  made a convincing case even though I'd restricted them to 1 activity (pointing out that sports often have 1 practice and 1 game a week, so really it's like the two activities they were proposing!).  So I said yes.  We'll see how it works out.  :)

So I guess I tend to spend about $150 (for 3 kids), though sometimes it is a little more, most of the time a lot less (since DD's dance is the only constant class--the others tend to be 6-10 week bursts, or less, so it moves around a bit in price and kids' interest).  We are pretty fortunate in that our school district and school offers a lot of extracurriculars even at the elementary level at very very reasonable costs.  And none of my kids are on any kind of elite sports/dance/whatever teams, which I know get real expensive real fast.  All three have been asking about martial arts though, I know that can get expensive as well.  I give them a list of activities that they can try (and the number that they can pick) at the beginning fo the school year/session, so at least they feel some ownership over it.  The only one I pick for them is swimming, until they reach a competant swimming level.

User Tag List