How much do you spend on your kids' extracurricular activities? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 51 Old 01-05-2011, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hope this is an ok thing to ask.  Lots of MDC threads about weekly grocery spending so I thought it should be ok.  I admit I'm being purely nosy.

My kids don't do many regular weekly activities; well, DD does a lot which costs me typically about 20 quid (like $30) a week. My three boys hardly do anything extracurricular at all in comparison (on a regular basis).

I get the impression that other children do A LOT more than even my DD (9yo).  Just wondered if anyone would like to share numbers on what they spend and what the kids do?

~ Yank Transplant to Britain and Zookeeper of 4 DC age 15 and under. ~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 51 Old 01-05-2011, 11:23 AM

DD, 5, takes a dance class at the community center that's $70 for 10 weeks.  And we're going to check out a music academy on Thursday which would be $50 per month/1 hr per week. 

Next year she'll probably do dance at a real studio, and it will be more expensive.

#3 of 51 Old 01-05-2011, 11:34 AM

I have three kids. They're each in one activity. Right now I can't afford more than that; plus, it's too much time taken away from playing and reading and hanging out with family and friends.

DD1 is in a tap dancing class. I pay $55 a month.

DD2 is in a ballet class. I pay $45 a month. (She gets a discount because her sister is enrolled at the same dance school.)

DS is in a gymnastics class. I pay $540 a year for ten months, so $54 a month.

So it's about $150 a month, so about $35 a week.

In the spring when I get my tax refund, though, I'm putting them all in 14 weeks of swim lessons. None of them can swim, and we spend a lot of time in the summer at DH's grandma's lake, or at the beach by my mom's house. I want them to learn to swim.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#4 of 51 Old 01-05-2011, 12:20 PM

Not much.

Around here, there aren't many options.  DS2 is only 4 so he can't get into anything just yet.  DS1 plays basketball, football and baseball through the school and that's only $10 per activity.  During the summer, he goes to a weeklong science camp and then has 2 different golf camps, altogether those come to about $150.

#5 of 51 Old 01-05-2011, 01:57 PM

I want dd to experience a bit of everything so that when she is older and started to "specialize" into one area she will really know what she wants to do and not regret never getting to try xyz.

Starting at age 4 she (4.5 now) she does swimming, gymnastics and soccer once a week. Her swimming is included in her Y membership so she also does other things randomly with that and it gives us a discount on her soccer.

This works out to about $22 aweek.but thats no gymnastics during the summer.

#6 of 51 Old 01-05-2011, 02:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Too much!

dk1, age 10- basketball league ($80), skiing (approx. $800 winter), Viola $20 month

dk2, age 7-soccer ($120 and $90 and $120), skiing (about $800), girls scouts (about $120) and her active social life includes far too many b-day parties at $20 a pop! Lax and b-ball start in 3rd grade so that cost will start next year. Then viola will start in 4th.  She also wants to try wrestling.

dk3, age 3, gymnastics ($200 times 3 semester a year= $600/yr) and dance ($660/yr)  skiing (about $300)

dk4, age 3- Gymnastics ($600/yr) skiing (about $300)

We also have memberships to the local children's museum ($150/yr), the zoo ($75), audobon society ($50?) and conservation comission ($75?).

I have no idea what that works out to monthly, or annually.  My kids were/are very, very shy and if they are willing to go do something where they actually have to speak to someone (gasp!) then I am happy for them to do it!

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

#7 of 51 Old 01-05-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumm View Post

Too much!

dk1, age 10- basketball league ($80), skiing (approx. $800 winter), Viola $20 month

dk2, age 7-soccer ($120 and $90 and $120), skiing (about $800), girls scouts (about $120) and her active social life includes far too many b-day parties at $20 a pop! Lax and b-ball start in 3rd grade so that cost will start next year. Then viola will start in 4th.  She also wants to try wrestling.

dk3, age 3, gymnastics ($200 times 3 semester a year= $600/yr) and dance ($660/yr)  skiing (about $300)

dk4, age 3- Gymnastics ($600/yr) skiing (about $300)

We also have memberships to the local children's museum ($150/yr), the zoo ($75), audobon society ($50?) and conservation comission ($75?).

I have no idea what that works out to monthly, or annually.  My kids were/are very, very shy and if they are willing to go do something where they actually have to speak to someone (gasp!) then I am happy for them to do it!

#8 of 51 Old 01-05-2011, 06:24 PM

I try to limit them to two activities at a time.

Swimming is usually 14 weeks and is about $70 but we are skipping swimming this session and just going as a family to the Y on the weekends.

DD is in gymnastics at a private centre and it's expensive - about $400 for 7 months.  DS just started with gymnastics and his is $170 for 3 months.

They also got enrolled in a yoga class and it's $110 total for both of them for 2 1/2 months.

However since I spend pretty much nothing on their clothes/toys (seriously, like maybe $40 clothes and $80 toys a year total, including gifts), I put a bit extra into these activities.

Oh, and I guess I am also taking them to the theatre 3 times this year, I think those tickets were about $12 each.

#9 of 51 Old 01-05-2011, 06:57 PM

All 3 of my kids are in swimming lessons year round. We get them for free at our Y where we're members and my ILs buy us a year family membership there as our big family Christmas present so it's no cost to us at all.

DS1 (7.5) is in Beavers and it's $150 for the school year (10 months so $15/month).

DD (5) is in a pre-competitive gymnastics program that runs us $60/month plus a yearly nat'l gymnastics association membership ($50), $40 for the team bodysuit, $40 for the warm up suit and there's also a fundraising fee (amt depends on competition level, I think ours was $40 this year) that you can get reimbursed for by volunteering at the club and at events. She's also in Sparks (like Daisies in the US) that runs us $80 for the school year.

DS2 (2) is just in swimming.

Mama to my 3 wild things.

#10 of 51 Old 01-05-2011, 07:44 PM

DD 1 is in college now, but he only did one thing other than get really good grades at school - violin and every concert and competition that went with it (sigh...how I miss them).

The DDs are both in dance at the same studio (fortunately both on the same night).  DD1 goes for 1 & 1/2 hours and does ballet, tap and jazz.  DD2 just started this year, and she goes for 1 hour of ballet and tap.  For both of them I pay $170.00 a month.

DD1 also takes a 45 minute piano lesson once a week for $15.00 a lesson.

Because we are Catholic, DD1 goes to Faith Formation (formerly known as CCD) once a week for 1 & 1/2 hours.  This is required in order for her to make her First Communion and so forth, so it's extracurricular but not optional.

This I feel this is a lot, so I don't allow anything else during the school year. If DD1 really shows an interest in another activty, I tell he she can try it in the summer when there is no dance, no school and probably no piano.  Last summer she did gymnastics and both DDs had swimming lessons.

treehugger.gif Wife of over 10 years to hard working DH and Mom to DS (25)violin.gif,DD1 (10)joy.gif and : DD2 (6)joy.gif 
#11 of 51 Old 01-06-2011, 03:54 AM

We are really against kids being over-scheduled, so we limit dd's activities to 2 (once a week) activities at any time.  Not because of expense, but time.  We want to be home as a family during the week.  She has horseback riding year-round, then during school she has girl scouts and the summer she has swimming lessons.  She's almost 9yo.  Horseback riding is $150/month and the scouts and swimming lessons are only about $40/year each.  This summer she wants to start an instrument (again).  She used to play violin, but lost interest.  We'll probably let her do an instrument and the riding (her true passion) unless she becomes a lot more involved in riding.  So far she hasn't wanted to do competitive showing.

Like renaissanceed, we take dd to a fine arts event such as ballet, symphony, opera, musical, once every month or two, so I guess that is an activity.  That's another $50 - $100, I'd say.

#12 of 51 Old 01-06-2011, 08:39 AM

DS is 4 and we've just re-enrolled him for swimming lessons. 2x week for 3 months - 47E with our pool membership (whole family is 120E/year). School, (they go back on Mondaysmile.gif) doesn't finish until 4.30pm, and then he usually has his merienda and plays with his friends for about an hour. Planning on signing him up for the summer activity programme this year - 70E for July.

#13 of 51 Old 01-06-2011, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Oldest daughter (9)

biweekly guitar lessons, $16 ea

Girl Scouts $12 to join, $2 dues each meeting

Winter swimming (starts today) $60 flat fee to practice once a week from Jan-May.  Summer swimming (competition) is around $50.

Awanas-free

Middle daughter (7)

weekly dance lesson $35 per month.  She's on a competition team though so our fees will go up.

Girl Scouts $12 to join, $2 per meeting

Awanas-free

Youngest daughter (5)

weekly dance lesson $38 per month

Girl Scouts $12 to join, $2 per meeting

Awanas-free

Soccer sign ups are coming soon, may see if the youngest is interested.  We usually do t-ball/softball in the summer.  I know my middle will not be continuing, unsure if my oldest will.  I'm hoping youngest does soccer so we can skip t-ball this year.  Our regular monthly total is around $110 per month.  Last month was more expensive because I had to pay $100 to each dance studio for costumes. This month will be more expensive because I have to pay $60 for swimming. 

student/sahm to three awesome girls who are always on the go!
#14 of 51 Old 01-06-2011, 09:10 AM

We have a Y membership for $79 a month but we all use that....

Hockey in the fall/winter runs about $500 w/o equipment but including skate sharpening, replacing mouth guards etc

Lacrosse in the spring/summer runs maybe $150?

TKD (yearly) anywhere from 2-5 days a week runs about 1K a year so about $80 bucks a month

Then there are the occasional camps: Lego mind storms, robotics, etc and a week or two at summer camps

And the occasional classes (week long cooking class for an hour a day for 5 days, etc)

He never has more than 2-3 things a week.

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#15 of 51 Old 01-06-2011, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

At 9, I spent very little. 

Now that my olders are in high school and they are in to fencing, I spend more....$190 a month for the two of them together. Then my daughter takes music lessons at $50 a lesson and has city orchestra once a week which had a small fee for the year. That is it for the two of them together. I think it is more about time and quality than the dollars spent.  My daughter did do more at 9, because she was home schooled and that was her only outside outlet. But, if she had been in school at that age, I doubt I would have had her in expensive extra stuff.

I hope that helps.

#16 of 51 Old 01-06-2011, 09:29 AM

The kids average one or 2 activities a week.  They are HSed - if they weren't we might do less  (the archery would go as would the Gril Guides.  the Drama might go - he loves it, but it is far away and that need might be met through the high school.  Some of these activities run the year, while some are as short as 2 weeks (swim lessons)

Per year:

gymnastics  - 360 per girl

720 a year

Drama - 500 for DS

Girl guides - 140

Archery  - 180 for all of us

Swim team - 40

Swim lessons - 120

History program -200

total per year: $1900

app. 36.54 a week for the 3 kids.

This does not include any field trips of any sort. 

#17 of 51 Old 01-06-2011, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

DD1 is dyslexic but excels at sports so we encourage her for self esteem issues. DD2 wants to keep up with her big sister. eyesroll.gif

DD1

tap dance Sept-May $40.00 a month

gymnastics Sept-May usually sometimes in the summer as well 2x a week $60 a month

swim team summer and fall $50.00 a month plus $75.00 fee each year

snowboarding at least $600.00 just for her, we pay quite a bit more for DH to go along with her

white water kayaking in the summer, the prices varies, but at least a couple hundred if she goes through the kayak school which we do to get guided trips in

DD2 

tap and ballet $175.00 each per semester, plus additional fees

gymnastics $35.00 a month

DS doesn't do sports yet, thank goodness!

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#18 of 51 Old 01-06-2011, 10:11 AM

We just moved, and I haven't enrolled anyone in anything yet, but here's what we did/paid before the move:

DS (9) ~ gymnastics $60/month for 1.5 hours/week; violin $14/week, soccer $65/season

DD (6) ~ gymnastics $100/month for 2.5 hours/week; piano $14/week, soccer $65/season

DD (4) ~ open gymnastics $5 to go and jump around at the gym with me once a week!

Here in our new town, all three kids will continue with gymnastics and DD2 will start classes instead of just open gym.  DS will play indoor soccer.  The older two will continue with their music lessons.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#19 of 51 Old 01-06-2011, 10:40 AM

DS is 3 1/2, he does Gymnastics $50 a month and swimming $40 a month once a week.  This spring he wants to do soccer as well which is around $40 for a 6 week session.

DD is 21 months and does Gymnastics $45 a month once a week as well, we'll add in swimming and ballet when she turns 3 most likely.

Sarah nak.gif married to DH Dan (August 2001) dh_malesling.GIF and Mommy to DS Desmond (April 2007) pinktongue.gif, DD Eloise (March 2009) hearts.gif and Sullivan (March 29, 2011) babyboy.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.giflactivist.gifcd.giffamilybed2.gif
#20 of 51 Old 01-06-2011, 11:13 AM

Ours varies, depending on what the boys are currently taking. We limit to 2 activities for DS1 and 1 for DS2 (who is only 4). We also rotate activities, so they have a chance to try different things and also so they get in the classes we consider mandatory (like swimming), but which they don't necessarily want to take.

Our most expensive activity was karate at a local dojo, which was $100/mo per child. That was also, by far, the favorite - doesn't that just figure! ;)

Right now, we've got karate at the Y (which is OK, but the boys are both begging to get back to their old teacher) at $50/mo each for 2 children, and boy scouts, which cost about $75 this year so far (including fees, uniform, and pinewood derby supplies).

In addition, we have memberships that we probably wouldn't have without the kids:

YMCA @$780/year

Botanical Garden @$65/year

Children's Museum @$85/year

Natural History Museum @$65/year

#21 of 51 Old 01-06-2011, 11:32 AM

My 5 1/2 yr old does karate once a week(1 hour) for 49$ a month.  We can only afford one activity at a time and thats all we have time for between school and everyday life.  My other 2 boys are not in anything yet, aside from mom's day out(the 2 yr old). 

Cassie, mom to Alex(4/7/05), Aidan(7/12/07), and Andrew(8/18/08)

#22 of 51 Old 01-09-2011, 02:17 PM

DS is 3. Right now he does a weekly soccer skills class (at the preschool, but through an outside coach). It's $40 a month. He is just starting TKD 2x a week, for $45 a month, plus $40 for the uniform. We also plan to sign him up for soccer through the Y in the spring. It will be $83 for the season.

Kat, wife to and mommy to (Dec 07).
#23 of 51 Old 01-09-2011, 02:52 PM

DS usually has 1-2 things going on at any time. He's been doing karate for a few months (it's probably around $60/month). He did a special needs soccer in the fall ($25/season). He will do the special needs soccer again this spring. We also just learned of a special needs baseball skills class that starts next month and he wants to do that. I'm not sure how much it'll cost but probably around $50. He sometimes does swimming classes in the summer (about $60/summer). Sometimes he tries something else (he's done movement classes, gymnastics, basketball, etc). Average monthly cost for extra activities is around $80-90.

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#24 of 51 Old 01-09-2011, 03:20 PM

My DD goes to gymnastics for four 10wk sessions per year.  She loves it there.  It is I believe $48 per 10wk session.  DD also goes to playgroup twice a week also for 10wks and there are also 4 sessions/yr.. it's $15/session.  Once my youngest hits 18mos I intend to enroll her in the same activities if money allows.  It is something that we need to work into our budget and right now we need to weigh the odds of whether or not we should continue.

For both kids, combined, it's about $13/wk.  Not horrible but in the grand scheme of things IMO it's expensive (looking at our budget, anyhow)

rainbow1284.gif Mama to DD1 (6) DD2 (4) and DD3 (1)
#25 of 51 Old 01-10-2011, 10:16 AM

Our kids are allowed to be involved in 2 activities at a time- music lessons and a sport/activity.

The price of music lessons vary.  We've found a fantastic guitar teacher for DS2 and DD2 who only charges $14.50/half hour lesson with a sibling discount (about $58/month per student).  DD1 takes piano, the lessons are a bit more expensive, but we're happy with the teacher AND the lessons happen at school which that I don't have to drive her around, which is worth the premium IMO.  The cost for that is $72/month or about $18/lesson.  DS1 takes drum lessons, which are (I admit, somewhat outrageous) $35/lesson (about $140/month).  But his instructor is an AMAZING musician, is highly in demand, and is a friend of mine to boot.  So for us, it's worth it.  So the total we spend on music lessons (not including books or supplies) for our 4 children is about $328/month.

Sports/activities are variable also.  When my kids were younger it was easier to find cheap community ed programs for them to participate in, but there aren't as many of those available for older kids.  Right now my boys are taking a break from sports, but my girls take gymnastics classes.  Currently we're paying about $185/ 10-week session, with a 10% discount for the second child.  So I guess that breaks down to about $74/month per child ($66/month with the 10% discount).  DS2 is very interested in participating at a Lego (robotics) Club at school, which will be offered in March.  Last year I think the cost was $50 for a 6 week session.  DS2 also will be playing baseball (Little League) in the spring, which is $60 for the season.

I don't know if it counts as an extracurricular activity, but we also have a family membership to the community center, which is $45/month. We go there to swim (they have a lap pool as well as a waterslide/rec pool) or play about once a week.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#26 of 51 Old 01-11-2011, 08:28 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

My DS is taking violin lessons that cost $156 a month. 

He takes swimming lessons ($15 a week) and we're thinking about chess club (about $10 a week). 

We have a science museum membership at $110 a year.

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11 + Someone New in May 2015! After years of planning, we are finally living our dream in South America!!
#27 of 51 Old 01-15-2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyantavid View Post

Not much.

Around here, there aren't many options.  DS2 is only 4 so he can't get into anything just yet.  DS1 plays basketball, football and baseball through the school and that's only $10 per activity.  During the summer, he goes to a weeklong science camp and then has 2 different golf camps, altogether those come to about $150.

Wow, 3 camps for $150? Around here 1 week of 1/2 day camp ranges from $100-$225 per week.

DD is 4.5, right now she goes to preschool 5 days a week, but at two different schools so that is $350 a month which is a big chunk of change out of our budget right now, so not as much for extras. We are in a Music Together class right now and that is running me $150 for 10 weeks. I want to swim lessons soon and that is $85 for 6 weeks of lessons.

Mom to Morgan 4-3-06 and announcing Baby Kelsey 4-11-10
#28 of 51 Old 01-15-2011, 07:45 PM

both kids are in tae kwon do 2x a week @$150/m each

ds1 has guitar lessons @$40 a lesson 1x a week and he has social skills group for kids with aspergers 1x a week for $65  for an 8 week session

ds2 is taking swimming lessons and doing sports classes at daycare at $85 a session each (6 week sessions)

ds1 has asked to join little league for the spring. I cannot remember the cost and I am not thrilled at the idea.but dh is supportive.

both boys want to do swim team again in the summer (8 weeks)@$135 per kid

we are members in the JCC (where they go to daycare) and our community pool for the summer.

it adds up, so I try to buy in bulk (we get a 30% discount on tkd if we buy the year in advance, etc)

You know the attributes for a great adult? Initiative, creativity, intellectual curiosity? They make for a helluva kid...
#29 of 51 Old 01-15-2011, 08:10 PM

I don't do daycare, so I try and keep my 3-yr-old daughter socialized (and me sane):

• story time at the public library -- free
  • swimming class -- $75/semester (14 weeks)
  • music class -- $130/semester (14 weeks)
  • playgroup -- free

I was going to pony up $185 for dance class for the spring semester (16 weeks), but that didn't go well. (They don't allow parents in the room, and she wasn't having any of it.)

I also do odd-ball one-offs, like $65/3 weeks of soccer lessons (WTF was I thinking?!) or visits to the zoo/museum/etc (typically $25/$50 a pop)

I'm sure as she gets older, she'll want to do something more specialized, that requires more practice time, and thus $.

Part-time WAHM. Live with my workaholic mother, my over-worked husband, and wonderful daughter born in '07.
#30 of 51 Old 01-15-2011, 09:30 PM

DS1 is a teenager, so he doesn't fit the forum, but...$165.00/month for acting classes (that was a birthday present, though - he has to cover it himself now), $245.00 for the gymnastics season's fees, plus $9.00/week for an extra practice, plus whatever fees come up later (finals fees, etc.). He also plays Ultimate at school - think that's about $40.00 for the two month season. He isn't currently in anything else that costs us money (he's in the school play, so we'll be buying tickets, and he has a part-time job, so he doesn't have time for the Tae Kwon Do and dance classes that he wants to take).

DD1: $120.00 for 10 ballet classes, which are once weekly. I'll also be starting her in piano soon - that's $22.00/half hour lesson, also weekly.

DS2: $80.00 for 10 dance lessons (it's called Stomp'N'Boyz, and was inspired by Stomp!), which are weekly. He also takes Tae Kwon Do, which is $6.00 per class, held once a week (it goes up when he moves into the 7 year old group, but I'm not sure how much).

I also put them in occasional one-off classes - Behind the Scenes at the local farm ($12.50 for the first child, $5.00 for the second one), and progams at the local Ecology Centre ($12.50 per child - about once a month).

That's it, so far. DD1 will also be taking pottery, but maybe not until September, or in a summer camp. She's also expressed interest in Tae Kwon Do, and would like to do some more climbing classes at some point. DD1 and ds2 are both homeschooled, so this is all more currcular than extra-curricular, but those are their activities.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page