I absolutely HATE what Lego's have become!!! Anyone else? (vent) - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 71 Old 01-14-2011, 07:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evermom View Post

I'm of the mind that if you don't like Lego, you aren't doing it right. lol.gif 

...or you've stepped on it in the dark too many times.

Which is definitely NOT doing it right!ROTFLMAO.gif

(I suggest not keeping legos on the floor.  They might break when you step on them winky.gif)

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#62 of 71 Old 01-16-2011, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Talking about open-ended creativity---saw this and had to share. Grease! 

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#63 of 71 Old 01-16-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia View Post

Talking about open-ended creativity---saw this and had to share. Grease! 

All those music videos are awesome!!!

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#64 of 71 Old 01-17-2011, 09:27 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlin View Post

Scour your local thrift stores.  I find bags and tubs of loose legos all the time.  We love both the kits and the loose legos.  I found the millenium falcon at a thrift store and had a blast putting it together.  It was only missing 2 pieces that weren't essential.  I let my son put together the simpler kits (he is 7), but I don't mind helping out on the more complex stuff.

I haven't seen toys in any of our thrift stores since the whole lead law thing started.  I should try Freecycle, though.

#65 of 71 Old 01-18-2011, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cascadian View Post

I adore the kits! Just because it's a kit doesn't mean there WON'T be free play...there's no warning on the box saying that you'd be sent to the gulag if you built something other than the kit...

To go one step further, I think that kits are AWESOME for instilling all kinds of cool things (like reading and following instructions, fine motor skills, a HUGE sense of accomplishment and personal pride once said kit is 'complete'...)

Legos rule!!

ITA! Both the kits and free play are awesome! The kits also teach kids different building techniques they can apply in their free building. :)  

My son is 5 and has bee obsessed with lego since he was two.  He started out mostly playing with the men and building different "guys". He moved on to simple cars and "ships". He now enjoys the kits and is starting to build more elaborate in his free play.  I do stick with smaller kits for him though.  The big kits have to many pieces for him right now. I would say the best one for his age are the  5-15$ ones.   I would absolutely save the directions, he may want them once he gets into building more.  

Lego.com has some cool kits you can buy. the have car parts, people, house parts, etc. All for free building. The do usually come with some type of instruction guide to get them started. Yard sales is another good place to get bulk lego. We got a TON, really i mean a ton, of Lego's dirt cheap at yard sales. Most of my sons huge collection come from there and we have shared many bags full with friends. LOL  If he is easily frustrated you can also print off really simple directions from Lego.com to make your own kits for him. I did this when my son was like 3-4. I had all the Legos he would need and the directions to follow in ziplock bags. It really got him used to following the directions and into building different things. :) 

#66 of 71 Old 01-18-2011, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritz View Post

Y

D

And DS literally plays with Legos for hours every single day...and it's probably 90% freeplay, building whatever his imagination desires, or he's inspired by on YouTube.

Do you have any links to these you tube videos? My son would love that!  I swear there is no other toy in the world that can keep a 5 year old boy quiet for hours on end! LOL 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakeber View Post

The truth is not only are the free block legos not available here in Colombia where I have ever seen, but they kits are so prescribed.  They don't feel like toys to me.

As far being models or 3D puzzles, I guess that's cool.  I like that aspect of it.  But it seems to me that legos have gone from cool, brightly colored building blocks to marketing tools which makes me feel icky about buying them.

You have to remember the kids also play with what they have built! Mini figs rock! LOL The  kits can also be combined and dismantled into anything. I thought the kits were a little over the top when my son first got into lego too. But seeing what he really does with them has changed my mind. :) 

#67 of 71 Old 01-18-2011, 10:12 AM

I LOVE LOVE lego.  Always have.  It was my favorite toy growing up!  I think its why I am so good at following directions (and I was a big kit builder....kits have been complex for a long time)

Can I recommend Lego Educational?  They have different sets...and they are more age appropriate.  I have gotten some at a teacher store, I'm sure you can find some in the US

http://education.lego.com/en-gb/preschool-and-school/lower-primary-4-7/

Tricia
Canadian Mama to E 2yrs
Someone new coming October!
#68 of 71 Old 01-18-2011, 10:01 PM

I've only read half of the first page but I agree with the other posters.  Get general Legos for now and wait on the kits.  Have him get familiar with the basic shapes before getting into the kits.  Teach your son how to "read" the kits when he starts asking for them.  From what I remember, most kits have the suggested age starting at age 6 or 7, or higher.  Dylan generally will only build the kit once.  Then take it apart and use the specialized pieces in free building. his own creations.  Then taking them apart and build something else.  He now will buy kits just for their specialized parts.  Maybe he will build the model, maybe he won't.  At any rate, the instructions soon get lost or thrown away because he's not interested in them.  And all the Legos to into the same containers.  Yes, containers.  Dylan inherited all his sisters' Legos.  We have over 20 (possibly 25) years worth of Legos.

Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)
#69 of 71 Old 01-19-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Next? View Post

I agree with most of the posters here - buy legos; dump in bin.  I remember as a child (25 yrs ago?) getting a brand-new box of legos.  We didn't get much brand-new - it was a big deal!  It had instructions in it, we followed them once for fun, and then we dismantled and threw out the instructions, dumping all the new legos into our bin of well-used and much-loved old legos. 

My REAL issue with Lego today is that it's ALL boy-centered guns and fighting stuff.  Yes, I know, it's not ALL guns, but so much of it is!!!  I tried to buy my 4yo and 6yo nephews those little $6 boxes as birthday party favors at my dd's birthday this year.  The 4yo was easy - he likes cars.  The 6yo - nothing!  I bought something else entirely.

And as for "girly" Legos, forget it!  I picked up a couple castle/dollhouse sets when she was 3-4, and I'm so glad I did!  All they have now are cheesy little 200-pc sets with dogs or horses.  There's are extremely limited options and the price per piece is horrible.  And before anyone says "buy a standard set/"big box"/etc." - I don't WANT the standard stuff - we have TONS of the standard stuff.  I want cool castle pieces - like the gray ones but maybe in light blue!  I want car pieces - like the black and red ones, but in white and pink!  I want lots of different windows and doors, curved pieces, specialty stuff - but not in black, brown, gray, and red.  I DO want girly colors, but not cutesy dollhouse themes.

I know this is all consumer-driven and most female consumers aren't interested in buying legos for their daughters.  I know Lego would make more girly stuff if there was a demand for it.  I guess I'm not upset with Lego; I'm really upset at American cultural values.

Thanks for letting me rant...

And my girls absolutely wouldn't appreciate any "girly" Legos.  I remember when Lego first came out with the pink girl Legos.  My girls never would believe that they were "real" Legos.   So there's the other side of the coin.  While some girls would play and ask for more girly Legos, other girls won't.

Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)
#70 of 71 Old 01-19-2011, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewchris2642 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Next? View Post

I agree with most of the posters here - buy legos; dump in bin.  I remember as a child (25 yrs ago?) getting a brand-new box of legos.  We didn't get much brand-new - it was a big deal!  It had instructions in it, we followed them once for fun, and then we dismantled and threw out the instructions, dumping all the new legos into our bin of well-used and much-loved old legos. 

My REAL issue with Lego today is that it's ALL boy-centered guns and fighting stuff.  Yes, I know, it's not ALL guns, but so much of it is!!!  I tried to buy my 4yo and 6yo nephews those little $6 boxes as birthday party favors at my dd's birthday this year.  The 4yo was easy - he likes cars.  The 6yo - nothing!  I bought something else entirely.

And as for "girly" Legos, forget it!  I picked up a couple castle/dollhouse sets when she was 3-4, and I'm so glad I did!  All they have now are cheesy little 200-pc sets with dogs or horses.  There's are extremely limited options and the price per piece is horrible.  And before anyone says "buy a standard set/"big box"/etc." - I don't WANT the standard stuff - we have TONS of the standard stuff.  I want cool castle pieces - like the gray ones but maybe in light blue!  I want car pieces - like the black and red ones, but in white and pink!  I want lots of different windows and doors, curved pieces, specialty stuff - but not in black, brown, gray, and red.  I DO want girly colors, but not cutesy dollhouse themes.

I know this is all consumer-driven and most female consumers aren't interested in buying legos for their daughters.  I know Lego would make more girly stuff if there was a demand for it.  I guess I'm not upset with Lego; I'm really upset at American cultural values.

Thanks for letting me rant...

And my girls absolutely wouldn't appreciate any "girly" Legos.  I remember when Lego first came out with the pink girl Legos.  My girls never would believe that they were "real" Legos.   So there's the other side of the coin.  While some girls would play and ask for more girly Legos, other girls won't.

Sewchris has quite a point.  When I was a little girl, I absolutely loved Legos.  My BFF did too.  We would play with them for ages.  I remember I had a really cool space themed set and I had a police station set.  Though the set would get put together the way from the instructions once or twice, we mostly did free play with them.  

We did very girly things with our sets.  The oxygen tanks from the space set made great hair styles (much more flattering than the pigtail wigs, which were the only option for female minifigure back in the '70s.)  We would make tissue paper outfits.  The slanted bricks were used to make bustled skirts for the minifigures.  I loved creating elaborate houses.

Then my dad went on a business trip to Denmark, where of course there was much more Lego.  Dad brought back "girl" Legos for me.  It was a kit you could make Lego jewelry with.  It was OK, but really not as much fun as the plain old regular unisex Legos that we already played with.  Really the main appeal of the kit was that it came from Denmark, where Legos started.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#71 of 71 Old 01-20-2011, 03:41 PM

I'm with you! I don't do "kid toys" that a grown-up has to do for them, nuh-uh. What a drag!

I agree with the poster who said dump 'em in a bin and lose the directions.

Happy and in love with my family!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page