2 miles for an 8 year old... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 46 Old 02-19-2011, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am curious why the child "being bored" is even a consideration? I walked that far to the bus, mostly alone and my parents never worried about me being bored. It was just what I had to do so I made the most of it.

I think being bored is ok. I used to sing, make up stores, come up with fun ideas. I would never rule out walking to school because the child might be bored.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#32 of 46 Old 02-19-2011, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I said if it was what would work best, it's what we'd do and I'd get her used to it, but why wouldn't my dd's boredom be a consideration?  I consider how she feels about things when I make decisions and can't imagine not taking her feelings into consideration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyBearsMom View Post

I am curious why the child "being bored" is even a consideration? I walked that far to the bus, mostly alone and my parents never worried about me being bored. It was just what I had to do so I made the most of it.

I think being bored is ok. I used to sing, make up stores, come up with fun ideas. I would never rule out walking to school because the child might be bored.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#33 of 46 Old 02-19-2011, 02:39 PM

I guess I don't see boredom as a bad thing.  I don't think life has to be entertaining all the time.  

Boredom often leads to new things, new interests.  Spending time with our own thoughts and feelings is missing in so many kids (and adults) lives these day.  Some of my sons best Lego inventions came out of him being bored. I learned how to make the best red velvet cake be cause I was bored and looking for something new to do. orngbiggrin.gif

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#34 of 46 Old 02-19-2011, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I don't think boredom is necessarily a bad thing, and I don't look to entertain my kids all the time.  Just that much time being bored twice a day is something i would consider - as I said I might choose to have her walk anyway, but I would take that into consderation along with all other issues involved.  Being bored isn't necessarily good or bad - it's going to happen sometimes and that's probably for the best, but that doesn't mean more of it is better.

#35 of 46 Old 02-19-2011, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

yup yup boredom is always an opening for something exciting.

yup dd gets bored. so we start with an agenda. and we always find something exciting to do - even if it to see how far we can walk before the fog dampens our hat. or how many school buses can we count.

sometimes dd gets bored going to school because we have a time constraint. coming back is never a problem because we find something to do. so our 50 min walk can turn into a 3 hour walk. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#36 of 46 Old 02-19-2011, 03:23 PM

I think it sounds pretty ideal...

My kids, 4 and 6 would totally do this if we could. We are much farther from school, but they get to go to an awesome, individualized school.

Last winter we lived in a walking/biking friendly area and it was awesome. Unfortunately, the area we are now in is completely dangerous for pedestrians and bikers. There are no sidewalks, no shoulders, and speeding cars. 

I would love to live somewhere I could walk or bike everywhere and then catch a bus if absolutely necessary. Not at this moment though...

On the exercise vs. transportation thing: DH is quite like this. We run and bike all the time to train for endurance races, etc. Yet, he won't walk to town. WTH?

#37 of 46 Old 02-19-2011, 03:36 PM

My ds regularly walks a 3.5mile walk, at least a 3rd of it is uphill.   He is 3.5.   

We also walk around the block at least once a day, which is 0.9 miles, and sometimes "around the pond" which adds another half mile or so to the walk.  Or we walk to the park which is at least a couple miles.  

#38 of 46 Old 02-19-2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Which is just 3/4 of the daily recommendation for aerobic exercise for a school-aged child. According to the CDC, this child would still need an additional 15 minutes.

No, because it takes 45 minutes each way. So 90 minutes a day. Also, my DD has I think at least 30 minutes of recess a day, plus dance class at school. Not that I am opposed to exercise!

I just feel like it would cut into our afterschool time a lot. It feels short as it is . DD would not get home till about 4 pm if she had a 45-minute commute. Walking is nice, but it isn't as fun as playing in the back yard or at the park, which we do most days year-round. It's much better than being in the car, but still, there is no way in hell I'd want a 45-minute trip to anywhere we go every day. It's a ton of time out of the day. I think my very outer limit for walking to school would be 30 minutes; I'd much prefer 15-20 minutes. If we switch schools next year, she will have about a 15- to 20-minute walk, which I'm fine with. I walked to school from K-3 and again for 7-12 and it was about 15-20 minutes.

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

#39 of 46 Old 02-19-2011, 09:01 PM

“What is evil? Killing is evil, lying is evil, slandering is evil, abuse is evil, gossip is evil: envy is evil, hatred is evil, to cling to false doctrine is evil; all these things are evil. And what is the root of evil? Desire is the root of evil, illusion is the root of evil.”
- Buddha
#40 of 46 Old 02-20-2011, 03:11 PM

Is there a friend your DD could walk with, providing it is safe enough for them to walk alone?  When I was a walker, I walked with a friend and it was never boring.  We talked and laughed.  I think it was about two miles each way, and very hilly.  I never noticed because I had someone to walk with.

Although if you are enjoying all of the walking, Mama, then keep at it!  :0)

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#41 of 46 Old 02-20-2011, 04:51 PM

Last year, when the winter finally broke and we had a gloriously sunny spring day dh and I, with ds napping in the stroller walked 4.5 k (I think that's around 3 miles) to dd's school, picked her up, and walked back.  She was 5yo.  It was no problem whatsoever.

Usually we drive back and forth from school (we carpool with 2 other families in the neighbourhood), but besides that barely ever use the car.  Even in the coldest days of winter (and it gets COLD here) I'd say we walk a minimum of 30mins a day (15mins each way to the grocery store).  On good days, esp in the summer, we walk for hours.  Ds is 3yo and still spends some time in the stroller if it's a really long walk.  Dd is 6yo and has no problem keeping up with us.

OP, I think it's great that you get that much walking time in with dd.  I loved walking to and from school at that age (it was a little closer... I guess 1.5 miles). 

Biking is great too (dh plans to start taking dd to school on her bike starting in spring... her best friend and his dad biked to the same school from a bit farther starting in K).  OP, since you mention you have balance issues, have you thought about getting a recumbent trike?

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#42 of 46 Old 02-20-2011, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristandthekids View Post

Are bikes something that could fit into the budget?  It would speed the trip along.

bag.gif i have to learn to ride the darn thing. that's the only thing stopping us from riding our bikes. i still have pulled up the courage to learncold.gif

because i am a co-parent with her dad and i switching everyday i just either have to drop her to school or pick her up. this semester i have been able to plan my day in such a way that we can do the walking. i think with brighter weather it will be much more fun walking. the other motivating factor is dd is getting ready for some serious hiking. like a strenous segment of the Pacific Crest Trail. 

usually dd loves walking. we have been walking at least a mile one way to dc/ps. money wasnt a factor then so we could once a week stop for treats. a bagel or hot chocolate or a doughnut or sometimes even bfast. plus on that route we knew store owners so we'd stop to chat. so we created the fun.

on our walk now there is nothing interesting on the way. 

unfortunately we have a high school a block away from us, the middle school is ways away. and the neighborhood elem. which my dd doesnt go to really nearby. so she has not found a friend to walk with. definitely not anyone from her school. 

however i have found it is a great bonding experience. esp. on our way back.  it is worth every minute of the way. this is the first time dd is walking to school. this is the closest we have ever lived to her school. the first few times she was tired because of the 'we've got to make it to school on time things', but she is settling down. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#43 of 46 Old 02-20-2011, 07:13 PM

When I was a kid I sometimes chose to walk to 1 mile to middle school instead of ride the bus if a friend was also going.  In high school I had to walk about a mile and if I was alone I hated it because I found it boring.  I have been hiking with my boys (4 and 6) since they could walk and they definitely could walk 2 mi but it would take a long time. 

If walking to school 2 miles with dd works for you I think it is great but I don't think I would be comfortable with an 8yo walking 2 miles alone.

#44 of 46 Old 02-21-2011, 03:19 AM

Any chance you could adopt a furry friend, meemee? You and your dd sound like ideal doggy owners and a little rescue would just LOVE to accompany you on those walks! Maybe it's not in the budget for you right now, or maybe you're not a dog person; but our family is car-free and walks everywhere and the tempo of your household sounds a lot like ours. Our collie mix rescue walks miles with us and dd loves seeing him waiting for her at school when I pick her up. It makes walking extra fun for all of us.

#45 of 46 Old 02-21-2011, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Hey mee-mee, have you thought about scooters, like Razor scooters? They're fun and quick and much easier to balance on than a bike, but they'll give you some balance practice for the day you decide to conquer that bike!

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#46 of 46 Old 02-21-2011, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

hey beanmama yes i have. for the same reason you stated. it will help me quite a bit.

carfreemama we would LOVE to. we are both real dog people but the budget is the issue. plus we are gone too often. plus i drop dd to school and then go off to work/school. just for the lack of time at home is the biggest reason for us to not get a dog. even if we came up with $$$s. 

and no my dd would never be walking alone. bad traffic. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page