7 yo DSD might be growing breasts. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 02-23-2011, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

she is my oldest. she is my DSD but she lives with me, and has since she was 3. i have been with her father since a month before she was born and he has custody. so she is mine :). i dont remember much about my growth from when i was her age. but her little nipples are bigger and they stick out. they look like she has breast buds forming. does this sound right? they arent getting bigger or anything. no dramamtic growth. they are just a little pouchy. she isnt over weight or underweight either. but they do look  more mature than they did earlier. i just want to make sure she is where she is supposed to be. she is my oldest so no siblings to really compare to. she showed me, she was excited bc she wants to be a mommy someday and nurse babies :) like me. she has asked for bras. i said we should start with something less binding cause you want room to grow. i am thinking camis or or undershirts first. bc she is al ittle self conscious of how they might show through her shirt.

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#2 of 18 Old 02-23-2011, 05:54 PM

umm, yep. i am right there with you on the breast buds, as I think they are called. My just 8 year old is definately getting chest changes, and I do think has noticed them herself too. She is my oldest, and I know that I have to talk to her about body changes pretty soon, nothing major, just maybe getting her some cami's, but she really is a rough and tumble kind of girl, so not sure how it will go over!

Me and Dh partners.gif, Dd1bouncy.gif  Dd2dust.gif,Ds1joy.gif, 2flowerkitty.gif, 2hamster.jpgand lots of goldfish.gif

#3 of 18 Old 02-24-2011, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

my dsd's bd is 12-12-03. pretty close to your dd's bd.

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#4 of 18 Old 02-24-2011, 11:05 AM

:( girls are hitting puberty so much earlier. I didn't have to worry abour bras/camis until almost 6th grade! Definately get something (they make 'trainers' that are kindof shaped like sports bras ie. no clasps or separate cups) becuase if she gets cold and starts 'pointing' at school, she might get made fun of/singled out, as at that age, they probably haven't done much sex ed/body changes yet. (we didn't get that until 5 th grade!)

#5 of 18 Old 02-24-2011, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

There are a lot of really great books in the kid area of many libraries that walk kids through the signs of puberty and serve as a good refresher for adults.  8 is within the average range for puberty and has been for a long time so I don't think this is something to be concerned about.  Periods tend to start a year and a half to three years after the first signs of puberty so definitely prepare her somehow whether that is with books or by just talking to her about the normal progression of puberty.  No matter how you feel about her going through puberty now, I suggest you act like you are completely happy and treat it as a very positive thing.  It is a hard adjustment for parents, as many on MDC can attest to, but it is so important to be positive for the kids because they are the ones going through the actual changes and it would be awful for a child to misinterpret their parents sadness and make it something about themselves being abnormal.

#6 of 18 Old 02-24-2011, 06:21 PM

a little OT, but over the last several years, I have noticed several of my kindy students with breast buds.  I don't say anything, b/c I don't feel it's my place, but it is a little alarming to me that 5/6 year old girls are beginning to experience those changes.

mommy to Christopher 2/29/08
#7 of 18 Old 02-25-2011, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

my DSD just turned 7 in dec. i hope it goes slow for her. i told her i was happy for her. bc i am. i am also sad for her. it is such a confusing time in life. i hope to help her make it smooth. i will get a body changing book. i am hoping she doesnt start mensing till she is at least 13 but you never know when it will happen. i was thinking about her and me just  going to the store together alone.

i can tell it is more than just a little weight making them pudgy. there is definitely a change in the way her nipple looks. it isnt a little baby nipple anymore. i will have to ask her if it is uncomfortable. i am mostly against bras for me too. so i dont want to get her something that will be tight but i know she will not want her friends seeing her nipples through her shirt. while it is cold i think a simple cami will do. but for the summer i think i will buy her tanks that have a shelf bra in them. so that hse has an extra layer to make her feel more comfortable. she shares a room with her 3 yo sister and wants to get dressed by herself lately.

i just cant believe it is starting already. it was just yesterday i was changing her diapers and rocking her to sleep :( but i am so excited to see the woman she will grow into :)

#8 of 18 Old 02-25-2011, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Seven would be considered precocious puberty and you may want to get her in to the pediatrician just to make sure they are tracking it.  If it goes slowly then it is fine, according to my dd's pediatrician.  If she starts to develop very rapidly then they may want to have her checked by an endocrinologist to make sure there isn't another underlying cause.  I went through early puberty and my dd has also and it isn't a big deal in our case, but there are some rare things that can cause very rapid development so having a pediatrician check it out may be a good idea.  

#9 of 18 Old 02-25-2011, 06:58 PM

Lioness, they have close birthdays!!

I have checked out some books from the library, I think they are American Girl books, that talk about body changes, feeling, emotions etc.

The care and Keeping of you, and the Feeling book, they are called. My dd1 keeps on looking at them, but I have not had the oppourtunity to sit down and talk with her about anything.

I guess I am kind of hesitant to start the convo, incase I do say something wrong. I know that I have to do it, I just have to sit down and figure out how to start it, and what to say, and excatly how far or how much knowledge that I want to divulge. I am definately hanging around this forum trying to gain ideas, so good luck and let me know how it goes.

I had been 10 a month when I started my periods, and defiantely had breasts and pubic hair too, so i was really young, as was my mother too. I guess it runs in the family, although my sister was 14 .

Me and Dh partners.gif, Dd1bouncy.gif  Dd2dust.gif,Ds1joy.gif, 2flowerkitty.gif, 2hamster.jpgand lots of goldfish.gif

#10 of 18 Old 02-26-2011, 12:54 PM
AAK

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I remember when I had breast buds. . . it felt like there was a little pebble under my nipple.  That pebble grew and was eventually undetectable as my breasts had matured.  You might ask her if she notices a "pebble".  She would just feel around her nipple area.  

I second the American girl books for that age.  

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#11 of 18 Old 02-26-2011, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

aaaaaah lionessmom i hear you. i think one of the least talked about subject have been pre-puberty. it hit me with a shock when i realised what prepuberty was and how little we know of it. i tried looking for it online but everyone talked about puberty.

from what i found prepuberty starts at around 5, 6 or 7. with dd it was late 5 early 6. starts with moods. change in body odor. little fuzz on legs and body and then a break and everything else happens later.

dd had her mood changes late into 5 and by 6 at the end of her extreme tantrums she started body odor. OMG the odor was so shocking from a 6 year old. i have a feeling she probably started her breast buds at 7. i didnt notice because she has 'breasts' because of her childhood chubbiness. she looks exactly how her dad looked when he was her age. he didnt lose his childhood weight till he was what 14- 16. 

i noticed dd breasts at 8. 

however i got my first bra at 9 or 10 when i had to wear it. not a training bra but a regular adult bra - baby size. i was so proud of them. so dd developing at this age does not concern me since i was on the younger side myself. i started my periods at 10 too i believe. and just like my mom went into premenopause at i think 42. just erratic periods but no hot flashes. my mom and i have v. similar genetic similarities. she too started her breasts and periods early at 9 - 10. kinda early premenop. and most interesting of all - we have v. v. painful cramps till our first child was born. after that like magic the cramps disappeared. 

i would be freaked out if dd grew hair or started her periods now. however she knows everything and knows she is one day going to start her periods. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#12 of 18 Old 02-27-2011, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

i would say pre puberty sounds right.

i read that age 5, 6, or 7 is the age where they (girls and boys) get a hormone jump. boys get more aggressive, girls get more moody. i saw the moody in her. it is like she is 15 sometimes. sigh. she has always been the kid who cries easy but now she has an attitude. it gets so crazy at times. i have to remid her that we dont talk to each other that way.

to a pp- i am keeping an eye on her. to make sure she isnt developing too fast. if there was a problem i would want tog et her looked at fast.

#13 of 18 Old 03-01-2011, 07:12 PM

My DSD (has older half-siblings, but she has lived with SO and I for 4 years, her BM died when she was 13 mos., and I've been on the scene since she was about 18 mos.) has the same birthday of 12-12-03 but thankfully has not developed anywhere yet.  I haven't had any of "the talks" with her yet either.  I figure I'll wait until she starts asking.  I don't know when her mom developed (my sisters and I started in middle school and didn't get periods til we were 14 and 15), but her half-sister (different mom) got her period at 9 1/2 but her mom developed early and both are overweight.  I'm hoping she starts later - gives me more time to avoid it, lol.

#14 of 18 Old 03-01-2011, 07:49 PM

“The single animal study of pineal function indicates that fluoride exposure results in altered melatonin production and altered timing of sexual maturity. Whether fluoride affects pineal function in humans remains to be demonstrated. The two studies of menarcheal age in humans show the possibility of earlier menarche in some individuals exposed to fluoride, but no definitive statement can be made.Recent information on the role of the pineal organ in humans suggests that any agent that affects pineal function could affect human health in a variety of ways, including effects on sexual maturation, calcium metabolism, parathyroid function, postmenopausal osteoporosis, cancer, and psychiatric disease.” 
SOURCE: National Research Council. (2006). Fluoride in Drinking Water: A Scientific Review of EPA's Standards. National Academies Press, Washington D.C. p221-22.

"In conclusion, the human pineal gland contains the highest concentration of fluoride in the body. Fluoride is associated with depressed pineal melatonin synthesis by prepubertal gerbils and an accelerated onset of sexual maturation in the female gerbil. The results strengthen the hypothesis that the pineal has a role in the timing of the onset of puberty. Whether or not fluoride interferes with pineal function in humans requires further investigation."
SOURCE: Luke J. (1997). The Effect of Fluoride on the Physiology of the Pineal Gland. Ph.D. Thesis. University of Surrey, Guildford. p. 177.

http://www.fluoridealert.org/health/pineal/

#15 of 18 Old 03-02-2011, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

very interesting. i hate flouride anyway and switched to flouride free toothpaste. i am working on saving up the money to buy a flouride removing filter.

#16 of 18 Old 03-02-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionessMom View Post

i am working on saving up the money to buy a flouride removing filter.

Me too!

#17 of 18 Old 03-02-2011, 10:54 AM

Just checking back. The flouride thing really interests me. Thanks for posting that.

Well I had a small really informal chat w/ dd a couple of days ago. I guess I was worried about talking to her by not saying the right thing, as she is my 1st to go through this, and it's a learning curve ya know!!

It went well, I just told her that it's normal to have body changes, yada yada, but we did not go as far as periods. I will go slowly on that one, I think I have a couple of years before we go down that road ( I hope ) .

I did notice that she was really interested in the american Girl books that I bought home. She kept on looking at them, and we touched briefly on that, but it was lots of giggling on her end about hairy bums ( vaginas ) and boobs which kept it light hearted.

#18 of 18 Old 03-03-2011, 06:07 PM

A little late in the thread, but just thought I'd giver what I know about this..precocious puberty is technically when breast buds develop before age 8, so you may want to get her in to her Ped, as One_Girl said.  But thought I'd add that it takes about 2 1/2 to 3 years before the onset of menarche begins once breast buds have appeared.  So just because she has breast buds does not mean she will be starting her period very soon!

Student nurse Mamma to Kaylum (3/01/2007) and wife to computer nerd DH .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page