Help Me Make a Chore Wheel--Tips/Advice - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-02-2011, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So 30 years or so ago when I was at camp, we had a chore wheel.  From what I vaguely recall, it was maybe a paper plate with a bunch of chores (sweep the cabin, take out the trash, etc.) and then our names was on some sort of card stock that the plate was attached to.  Each day, they'd turn the wheel one notch so our chores would change.

I'd like to make a similar thing for my kids.  They're actually at that eager to help Mom phase...and actually fight over who gets to use the broom and dustpan, wipe the table, etc.

If you have some good ideas for chores for a 7, 5, and 3 year old--please contribute as well. :)

I'm guessing I could do it with a paper plate and one of those little brass colored fasteners...but thought I'd check here for any tips/advice.   I am not a crafty sort.  At all.   

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#2 of 9 Old 03-03-2011, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I think the paper plate and brass fastener will work just fine.

tasks--

wipe table
set table
sweep
vacuum
wash or dry dishes (or help load/unload dishwasher)
general pick-up--putting away toys
bed making
dusting
emptying trash cans

The problem I'm running into is that not everything is an everyday task, at least not in my house. So the trash cans really only get emptied once a week. Dusting and vacuuming don't necessarily need to happen every day; bed making and putting dirty clothes into the hamper are more individual every day tasks; helping fold and put away laundry is going to be a variable thing....which basically leaves meal-related stuff.

Mom of two girls.
#3 of 9 Old 03-03-2011, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Claras Mom.

Maybe I need to make some sort of weekly chart too? Hmmm..... will have to brainstorm on this.  We already have Saturday as our "clean the bathroom" day, so I guess I could just add vacuuming and stuff to that day.  I'll have to see if I can find what other Moms do.

#4 of 9 Old 03-03-2011, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just saw this one on a blog:
http://www.smockityfrocks.com/2011/01/chore-charts-new-beginnings.html

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#5 of 9 Old 03-03-2011, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post

I just saw this one on a blog:
http://www.smockityfrocks.com/2011/01/chore-charts-new-beginnings.html

Oh thanks Annettemarie. :)  That looks well within my crafting abilities. :)

#6 of 9 Old 03-04-2011, 01:48 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

We made "job flowers" Each one was a card cut out flower stick on a wooden stick. They each had a job written on the back. They would pick out a flower and do the job. Both kids made a vase (Painted toilet roll middle) and once they had done their job they could display the flower in it. I liked the ability to ick and chose which jobs needed doing on any day. That said we didn't keep up with it that long, it seems to work better for us for me to just ask the kids to help out when needed.

#7 of 9 Old 03-04-2011, 05:30 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Do you have pets? You can add pet care (feeding, grooming, exercising) to the daily chore list. 

Personally, I don't consider pet care as a "chore", and I don't want my kids to view it that way either. In the same way, I would never pay my kids to walk the dog, although I know many parents who do. I figure our dog is a member of the family, and you don't get paid to take care of family members. It's purely a self-preservation thing - I don't want to have to pay them to take me out for some fresh air when I'm a decrepit senior citizen in a home, lol! So pet care wouldn't appear on my daily chore list, but I think that's just my own weird hang-up.  It is fairly common on other chore lists. 

Other daily tasks here:

- wiping out the bathroom sink (I do this in the morning after everyone leaves for the day, it would be a magical morning to find it done by the last person to use it)

- de-clutter coffee table/family room (there's always stuff that piles up, gets dragged off the shelves etc.)

- tidying front and back entrances - I find they quickly get messy with coats, hats and gloves, boots and shoes, stray scarves, odd pieces of mail or newspapers, school bags, sports equipment etc. I know each person should be responsible for putting their own things away, but it's hard to catch them in the act. I find it's easier just to manage it with a general clean-up, like the family room area. 

#8 of 9 Old 03-05-2011, 06:16 AM

I love the chore wheel.  My problem is that not everything is an "everyday" thing, so I've been creating individual lists for each kid each day with 3-4 things on them, and they get to cross them off with my special List Pens (used only for this purpose and are very fun colors).

I think I might need to find a few every-single-day tasks just on principle, though.  :)

Mama to A 8/05 and S 11/06
#9 of 9 Old 03-05-2011, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We have lots of daily sorts of things built into our routine. For example, the morning high five-- get dressed, grooming-type stuff, eat breakfast, kitchen chores, and laundry chores. Kitchen chores = wiping the table (3 year old), taking out the recycling and compost (7), putting away dishes (9), and trash (12). We also have 10-minute tidy times built into the day.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page