Four year old who repeats things CONSTANTLY - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-05-2011, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi,

I'm looking for advice (or even just an, "it's totally normal honey") about our 4 year old who repeats phrases constantly. He's 4 years 3 months, and started repeating things about 3 or 4 weeks ago. For example, he has said no fewer than 100 times today (pretty much any time he's bored for example), "Hector P. Valenti, star of stage and screen!" This phrase comes from a book he loves, but he can repeat phrases of songs or rhymes as well.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Bailey

#2 of 5 Old 03-05-2011, 04:04 PM

At this age... they LOVE to talk.  LOVE IT.  It makes us crazy... but, they can't seem to stop talking.  I have a daycare girl who says everything two or three times before you even have a chance to comprehend what she's telling you, and you are getting ready to answer her, and she says it again.. and again.  And, "Mmm-hmm" isn't an acceptable answer. 

It is normal... but, it's annoying.  One day, you'll be remembering when he did this, and realize you didn't notice when it stopped.

#3 of 5 Old 03-05-2011, 09:05 PM

My son is also 4 and has been doing that for abouuut 6 months now. He also mocked the whole honey thing as well, he eventually stopped though, when he does it I jokingly tell him stop mocking me, and eventually he caught onto that one too. Its normal for a kid to say stuff back. Like the other person said, it can be annoying, but the phase will go away :)

#4 of 5 Old 03-09-2011, 07:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

OMG, mine's only 3, but he is CONSTANTLY chattering, singing and reciting Dr Seuss, sometimes all at once. He actually has formed a little medley of 3 different songs that he sings in the same order, the same parts, every time and then follows it up with a little Seuss. It's hilarious, but it does seem kind of over the top at times. When he's not doing that, he asking me for new toys, snacks, to sit with me, to play with him...... His little brain is too full!

#5 of 5 Old 03-09-2011, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

My 4 yr old is not repeating words, at least not yet, but repeatedly plays this tune she found on her toy computer. It just gets to us after a while but she seems to enjoy it. We had a rented dvd which had this song she liked and she played it all the time until it was returned.

Let me make sure that my thoughts, words and actions are beneficial to the scene in which I find myself ~ Unknown

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page