how long before Easter does your family dye Easter eggs? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 03-07-2011, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

A few days before? The weekend before? Sooner? Later?

#2 of 26 Old 03-07-2011, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hmm the week of. Sometimes the Saturday right before, but more because we don't have much time all together during the week than anything.

Kat, wife to and mommy to (Dec 07).
#3 of 26 Old 03-08-2011, 04:49 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

We always did it the day before.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#4 of 26 Old 03-08-2011, 05:08 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Easter Sunday or the day after. it's the Easter season in the church {Catholic}, beforehand is Lent and eggs don't fit with Lent very well.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#5 of 26 Old 03-08-2011, 09:03 AM

The day before Easter Sunday

#6 of 26 Old 03-08-2011, 09:06 AM

The day before.

#7 of 26 Old 03-08-2011, 10:38 AM

The day before.   But we paint them, not dye b/c ds is allergic to dyes. 

#8 of 26 Old 03-08-2011, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

We do it the day before Easter. My mom used to hide our painted eggs on Easter morning, so I guess that's why I do it that way. DH and I hide plastic eggs filled with toys/candy, so I guess it doesn't matter as much when we dye eggs, but we've maintained the tradition anyway. That's usually the most convenient time anyway, though. 

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#9 of 26 Old 03-10-2011, 01:56 AM

Can I answer as a pagan?  We like to do it the night before, but that means March 19 this year as we celebrate Ostara/ Spring Equinox.

#10 of 26 Old 03-10-2011, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Wow, so pretty much everyone does it the day before? That surprises me. Is that really true for others who are reading this?

#11 of 26 Old 03-10-2011, 11:07 AM

We do them a week or two before to decorate the house.  We "blow" our eggs so no chance of rot.  Like christmas ornaments it is so fun to unpack them every year and admire them and think about the times we had decorating them.

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#12 of 26 Old 03-16-2011, 08:11 AM

We color eggs on the first day of spring :-)  

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#13 of 26 Old 03-16-2011, 09:38 AM

When I was a kid - we colored eggs the day before Easter and these were baked into sweet bread that was traditionally eaten on Easter morning.  DD is 3 and this will be her second year "helping" grandma bake.  She really loves coloring eggs so at home we usually decorate a few a couple of times a month.

#14 of 26 Old 03-18-2011, 12:15 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me

Our celebration of Easter is strictly secular so we start a week or two before and dye them at least a once for like er, two months? My kids are young though so it is more of a seasonal art project. They love to dye eggs so I stock up on cheapo kits and we use them until we run out. We dye ones that are raw usually and then use them up. We will also wet felt some...

#15 of 26 Old 03-18-2011, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigosky View Post

Wow, so pretty much everyone does it the day before? That surprises me. Is that really true for others who are reading this?

Why is it surprising? When would be a non-surprising time to dye eggs? 

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#16 of 26 Old 03-18-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalmama View Post

Easter Sunday or the day after. it's the Easter season in the church {Catholic}, beforehand is Lent and eggs don't fit with Lent very well.

headscratch.gif I grew up Catholic. Eggs are what we ate when we couldn't eat meat during Lent. My mom made cheese souffle all the time during lent (one of my sorrows is that no one in my family (other than me) likes cheese souffle).

We dyed them the night before so that they would be fresh for hiding on Easter Sunday. We always ate the eggs, so I guess my parents didn't want them to go bad. I've never considered doing it any other time. And in reality, there usually wasn't time - we went to church on Holy Thursday and Good Friday and so didn't get home until late. The Saturday afternoon/evening before Easter was the perfect ime.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#17 of 26 Old 03-20-2011, 04:39 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnS6 View Post

headscratch.gif I grew up Catholic. Eggs are what we ate when we couldn't eat meat during Lent. My mom made cheese souffle all the time during lent (one of my sorrows is that no one in my family (other than me) likes cheese souffle).

We dyed them the night before so that they would be fresh for hiding on Easter Sunday. We always ate the eggs, so I guess my parents didn't want them to go bad. I've never considered doing it any other time. And in reality, there usually wasn't time - we went to church on Holy Thursday and Good Friday and so didn't get home until late. The Saturday afternoon/evening before Easter was the perfect ime.

We eat eggs during Lent, but dying the eggs is supposed to be a symbol of the resurrection of Christ, so we wait until after Easter Sunday to do those during the Easter season of the church. I suppose we could do them on Easter Sunday itself, but we never get to it. We do other things instead, and I like to draw out the Easter season. Plus Lent for us is a more somber, prayerful time so we do very few celebrations during Lent.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#18 of 26 Old 03-20-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalmama View Post

We eat eggs during Lent, but dying the eggs is supposed to be a symbol of the resurrection of Christ, so we wait until after Easter Sunday to do those during the Easter season of the church. I suppose we could do them on Easter Sunday itself, but we never get to it. We do other things instead, and I like to draw out the Easter season. Plus Lent for us is a more somber, prayerful time so we do very few celebrations during Lent.

That's why we dyed them the day before, so they were there for Easter.  Although it was fun to decorate them, it was to prepare for Easter, not a celebration of any kind.  There aren't any celebrations during Lent for Catholics, either. smile.gif

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#19 of 26 Old 03-20-2011, 04:56 PM

A couple of days before. 

#20 of 26 Old 03-21-2011, 07:31 AM

WE do it the night before.

PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Sadly, Jan 21, 2011  m/c 6w5d  angel.gif
#21 of 26 Old 03-21-2011, 09:38 AM

Pardon my dumb question..... You do have to have white eggs to dye, right? Our chickens all lay varying colors of brown eggs, no white. 

#22 of 26 Old 03-21-2011, 12:52 PM

You don't have to have white...but the colours will be different.  White ones make the most vivid results.

PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Sadly, Jan 21, 2011  m/c 6w5d  angel.gif
#23 of 26 Old 03-22-2011, 12:29 PM

We always dye the eggs the night before and we use brown eggs

#24 of 26 Old 04-16-2011, 07:56 AM

Sometime the week before.  We like to dye with natural ingredients, so this gives us some time to experiment and try new plants each year.  Lots of fun to see what colors come up with fruits, herbs and veggies!  We also grow some Easter grass a couple of weeks before to display the eggs out of wheat, kamut, lentil, barley and other grains.

Jennifer

Married to Rick 17 years, Son 14, Daughter 11, Son 7 and Baby #4 due 10/11!

Natural Egg Dyeing eBook: www.syrendell.etsy.com

#25 of 26 Old 04-16-2011, 08:57 AM

We adults do a few the night before to put in the kids easter baskets and to hide for the hunt and if we happen to have a hill near by to use for the great egg roll. Then the kids do more at our spring party, which is almost always on Easter Sunday.  But DS loves the colored eggs, so we usually save some of the dye tablets for making marbled eggs throughout the year.

I have never heard that eggs were a symbol of the resurrection and I used to go church a lot as a kid, even catholic church.  They are about as Christian to me as a chocolate Easter Bunny.  Who knew? 

Eggs were a traditional symbol of fertility in Pagan culture.  The majority of the symbolism associated with Easter were traditionally pagan symbols, the Eggs, the Rabbit, the baskets of plenty, even the name (possibly taken from the goddess of Spring, Eostre).  All of these long predate the conversion of the European heathens by the catholic church. (http://www.thercg.org/books/ttooe.html#c) I'm just saying.

MeditativeMama likes this.

Rebekah - mom to Ben 03/05 and Emily 01/10, a peace educator, and a veg*n and wife to Jamie.
#26 of 26 Old 04-18-2011, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by heket View Post

Can I answer as a pagan?  We like to do it the night before, but that means March 19 this year as we celebrate Ostara/ Spring Equinox.

us too.

Single mama namaste.gif to dd dust.gifand ds fencing.gif, loving my dsd always reading.gif .

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page