bladder infection in 3 1/2 yo. Natural remedies? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 03-08-2011, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We are giving her lots of diluted unsweetened cranberry juice and just started a probiotic today.  We don't want to go the antibiotic route unless absolutely have to.  Are there any other remedies such as homeopathy, herbs etc that work well for bladder infections in children?

TIA!

Happily married and unschooling 5 kiddos Oct. 2004, July, 2007, July, 2009, Oct. 2010, Nov. 2012 uc.jpg

#2 of 10 Old 03-09-2011, 07:11 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

IDK if it falls into "natural" but if she can swallow a pill, I have found that the cranberry extract pills (3 a day) and lots of water (or more cranberry juice) work way better than cranberry juice alone b/c it's more concentrated. Beyond that, I'd head to the HFS and ask for their recommendations for other remedies. I hope she feels better soon!

#3 of 10 Old 03-09-2011, 09:42 AM

Please, please don't mess around with a UTI! The longer you leave it, the worse it gets, and an untreated UTI can lead to all sorts of nasty complications.

I say this as someone who suffered UTIs constantly for 2 years straight as a result of not getting treated properly the first time round. I eventually ended up in hospital with a kidney infection and bladder scarring. Not fun. Believe me, I tried every natural treatment you can think of and nothing worked except antibiotics.

Give her the antibiotics and make sure she takes them all.

Mama to a preschooler and a baby.

#4 of 10 Old 03-09-2011, 10:34 AM

If it's honestly a bladder infection, I can't imagine why you would withhold medication from her.  The infection is worse than the antibiotics.  

An ear infection I can understand, but a bladder infection could be very serious.

#5 of 10 Old 03-09-2011, 01:10 PM

An untreated bladder infection can lead to a kidney infection.  It can be very serious, and very painful.  It's fine to use cranberry juice as a supplement, but I wouldn't fool around with a bladder infection.

MCatLvrMom2A&X and One_Girl like this.
#6 of 10 Old 03-09-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextcommercial View Post

If it's honestly a bladder infection, I can't imagine why you would withhold medication from her.  The infection is worse than the antibiotics.  

An ear infection I can understand, but a bladder infection could be very serious.

Wow.. I just read what I said, and that was super rude... I'm sorry for coming off that way.  In my head it sounded much nicer than it looks in print.  

#7 of 10 Old 03-09-2011, 04:24 PM

cranberries help with PREVENTION. If you already have an infection they won't do anything. Bladder infections can kill especially children. A couple here were just prosecuted for killing their child by refusing antibiotics for a "simple" bladder infection.

How cranberries help... they make the bladder "slippery" so supposedly bacteria won't be able to burrow into the lining. If it's already there nothing will stop it unless you have a great immune system and luck. So if it's not cleared up by the time it takes to see a dr you should get antibiotics. Bladder infections are excruciatingly painful Not something I would want my child to go through needlessly.

#8 of 10 Old 03-09-2011, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

are u sure its a bladder infection?

is there pain and burning sensation? (please know this is not a rude question or idiot question). did a test reveal UTI?

or are you assuming by the number of time your child has to go potty during the day. because there are times when kids suffer unusual frequent urination and one mistakes it for bladder infection. no one knows exactly what causes it but might be due to stress (just stress of growing up and becoming more aware of the world around them). kids get it btw the ages of 3 to 8. my dd went back to diapers just coz it was exhausting going to the bathroom so many times. 

http://pedclerk.bsd.uchicago.edu/pollakiuria.html

otherwise i agree. for a child its time for the medication. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#9 of 10 Old 03-10-2011, 08:52 PM

When my dd was having some bladder irritation our naturopath gave her a homeopathic remedy that worked great. Deseret biologicals homeopathic bladder kidney meridian opener. I always treat mine with herbs and probiotics and that works just fine.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#10 of 10 Old 11-30-2012, 03:16 AM

Was just having this same situation with our 4yr old...I'm going to go a head & try all the natural remedies before any meds.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page