camera for 4-year-old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 03-12-2011, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

thinking about getting dd a digital camera for her birthday next month (she loves using mine).  looked at some kids' cameras, but they're either too expensive (in my opinion), don't look particularly functional or have received horrible reviews. 

at this point, i'm thinking of just getting her a cheap one (not a kids' specific one).  anyone have any suggestions.  the reviews i've read are really mixed.

or does someone have a kids' one that they really love (i'd prefer something under $50).

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#2 of 13 Old 03-13-2011, 08:15 AM

We have been surprisingly happy with the VTech digital camera. We bought it from Target for around $30. I was inclined to get a cheaper adult camera, but after watching how my 6 year old uses it, I am glad we went with the kid camera. It's taken two bad tumbles and still works just fine. It also has a couple simple video games on it.

ETA: It's called the Kidizoom. I really don't like VTech, but think it was a good choice.

#3 of 13 Old 03-13-2011, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopin' Mama View Post

We have been surprisingly happy with the VTech digital camera. We bought it from Target for around $30. I was inclined to get a cheaper adult camera, but after watching how my 6 year old uses it, I am glad we went with the kid camera. It's taken two bad tumbles and still works just fine. It also has a couple simple video games on it.

ETA: It's called the Kidizoom. I really don't like VTech, but think it was a good choice.

this is actually the one i was looking at, but some of the negative reviews got me doubting it.  there are plenty of good reviews as well.  perhaps i'll reconsider.  thanks.

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#4 of 13 Old 03-13-2011, 01:52 PM

you know, I picked up a waterproof, shockproof camera at Costco for about 80 bucks... more than you wanted to spend... but my daughter had winged it onto the concrete AND dropped it in the lake-  and it still takes great photos...it is an Olympus.  just my two cents.

#5 of 13 Old 03-17-2011, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

is the photo quality on the vtech kidizoom as bad as everyone says?  dd has been taking photos with my digital camera and is used to a certain quality.  i'd hate to get her something that is worse than what she's used to.  i see there's a vtech kidizoom plus, but it seems that the higher price tag only gives you more games and buttons, not really better quality.

any other suggestions?

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#6 of 13 Old 03-24-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopin' Mama View Post

Yes--we have this camera also and my son (4 yo) loves it! It takes decent pictures too! It comes with a cord (not sure of the technical name) so you can connect it to your computer and download the photos. The buttons are big enough that his little fingers and operate it, and it has a few options like adding silly faces or silly borders so it's also fun for him to play with after he takes his pictures. We also go our at Target -- maybe $35? I don't think you'll be sorry with it.
#7 of 13 Old 03-24-2011, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

thanks.  perhaps i'll reconsider.  i gotta say, i do like the price.

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#8 of 13 Old 03-24-2011, 06:21 PM

VTech and Little Tykes make fall friendly and easily operated cameras for a good price, BUT the photo quality is craperoo, and the shutter is sooooo slow. DD was often disappointed with missing a moment, and then when she downloaded the images, they were pretty pixellated. DD is 5.5 and I recently upgraded cameras, so I gave her my old one. She is THRILLED beyond belief with it, and very responsible (so far)!

Have you considered looking at seocnd hand cameras from a camera shop? A reputable one will verify that everything works and give you some sort of guarantee, and the price will be heavily discounted.

fridgeart, lucky mum to E (5) and Ro (2)
#9 of 13 Old 03-24-2011, 06:29 PM

Our four year old has this Vivitar camera.  She had been given one of those kiddie cameras and it totally frustrated her because it didn't work like a 'real' camera and she couldn't see the photos on the screen.  The vivitar isn't the best quality out there, but it takes decent photos and works just like Mama's (which is pretty important to her!)

Pregnant and/or Breastfeeding since 2005
Mama to two girls: 5/06 and 3/09
#10 of 13 Old 03-25-2011, 06:06 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

We got the Kidzoom for my daughter when she was three.  It was a waste.  She had already been taking pics with my digital camera so she was really let down by the quality of pics.  Also, the shutter is slow, as someone else mentioned.  A three year old pretty much will not hold still long enough to get a good pic.  I wish we had just gotten her the Olympus someone mentioned above me.  She spent all Christmas morning carefully photographing her presents and then when she got to view the pics - just really no quality to speak of. 

#11 of 13 Old 03-25-2011, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

ok.  the three last responses sort of confirmed what i feared.  dd is used to my camera and i am pretty sure she'll be disappointed with something of lesser quality.  perhaps i'll scrap the idea for now and make it a x-mas gift.  we're already getting one big gift for her birthday and i don't feel comfortable putting a pricier camera on her wishlist for others to buy.  still undecided.

thanks for the responses.

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#12 of 13 Old 03-25-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samstress View Post

ok.  the three last responses sort of confirmed what i feared.  dd is used to my camera and i am pretty sure she'll be disappointed with something of lesser quality.  perhaps i'll scrap the idea for now and make it a x-mas gift.  we're already getting one big gift for her birthday and i don't feel comfortable putting a pricier camera on her wishlist for others to buy.  still undecided.

thanks for the responses.

I hope you find something perfect! Each kid is so different, I did wonder if DS would be disappointed with the "kiddiness" of the camera. Turns out that doesn't seem to bother him and putting the silly borders and stuff on the faces thrills him. He was using one of our lesser expensive cameras, and then he dropped into a creek while photographing a little turtle.

#13 of 13 Old 03-25-2011, 12:22 PM

We have a Leapster Explorer and got the camera attachment for it. DS uses on occasion and it takes decent pictures.

DS is 4!
DD 8/10/10!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page