Would u leave a 4 yo old in the bath for a few minutes? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 43 Old 03-18-2011, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Dd wants to play in the water for a little bit after we finsh rinsing. There's no water collected in the tub but just running water when I leave her there for about 5 mins to play for a bit (usually pouring water from a plastic up with a spout into another cup) bfor I take her out.

When the thoughts we think are the same as the words we speak, others will feel our integrity ~ Unknown
#2 of 43 Old 03-18-2011, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yes I did.  At that age bath time moved to play then mom reminding them to clean all their body parts and helping them washing their hair.  That was the age that we moved away from parent washing unless they needed help.

One thing we did teach was about hot water.  I remember practicing with them several times and then letting them doing it while watch. Moving to asking permission first.  Then freedom.  Showing them how to handle with they turn the water the wrong way -- not freaking but moving and getting help.    

GoBecGo likes this.
#3 of 43 Old 03-18-2011, 11:49 AM

I'd rather leave some water in the tub, than have it running. I'd be worried that a toy could plug the drain, and the water could rise higher than my comfort level.

I'd certainly leave a 4 yo in a few inches of water to play in a tub! My worry would be for a child to fall backwards and become submerged, so I'd leave less water than that.

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
#4 of 43 Old 03-18-2011, 11:57 AM

Why not? My only objection would be the waste of running water while she played in it.  When my dd was that  age, I'd let her stay as long as I could hear her (and I could 90% of the time.)

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#5 of 43 Old 03-18-2011, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

That's true. I think I shud leave a little bit of water in the tub without the water running. Thanks for the tip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnS6 View Post

Why not? My only objection would be the waste of running water while she played in it.  When my dd was that  age, I'd let her stay as long as I could hear her (and I could 90% of the time.)

When the thoughts we think are the same as the words we speak, others will feel our integrity ~ Unknown
#6 of 43 Old 03-18-2011, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightwriter View Post

I'd rather leave some water in the tub, than have it running. I'd be worried that a toy could plug the drain, and the water could rise higher than my comfort level.

I'd certainly leave a 4 yo in a few inches of water to play in a tub! My worry would be for a child to fall backwards and become submerged, so I'd leave less water than that.

Thanks. I agree about the drain getting plugged by mistake although this one's old and not efficient.

#7 of 43 Old 03-18-2011, 01:08 PM

Of course.  My 4.5 year old gets to play as long as he likes once I'm done washing him.  I don't leave any water running though, just fill it to where I'm comfortable.

Momsteader likes this.
#8 of 43 Old 03-19-2011, 03:01 PM

Yes, I do. I listen. Lots of splashing, laughter, even complaining mean everything is fine. If it is quiet, or there are "water sounds without people sounds", then I ask them how they are doing. If I ever didn't get a quick reply I would go in and check. I also tend to listen and check more when it is only 1 alone in the bath. If both of mine are in at once, there is always lots of noise. Mine are 4 and 6 but I have been doing this since they were 2 or 3. First leaving the bathroom just to go get a hairbrush, then to go off for longer times to do laundry. I am on the same level though, so they are reasonably close by.

#9 of 43 Old 03-19-2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonR View Post

Yes, I do. I listen. Lots of splashing, laughter, even complaining mean everything is fine. If it is quiet, or there are "water sounds without people sounds", then I ask them how they are doing. If I ever didn't get a quick reply I would go in and check. I also tend to listen and check more when it is only 1 alone in the bath. If both of mine are in at once, there is always lots of noise. Mine are 4 and 6 but I have been doing this since they were 2 or 3. First leaving the bathroom just to go get a hairbrush, then to go off for longer times to do laundry. I am on the same level though, so they are reasonably close by.

This is basically what we do too, only I just have a 3 year old. I'll step out to get his pj's ready, start a load of laundry, or something. As long as I can hear him talking to himself and playing I figure everything's ok. I don't think he'd ever try to get out of the tub by himself while I was gone, but he's tall enough and coordinated enough that he'd be fine if he did. If he gets quiet for more than a second, I just peak around the corner to make sure he's ok. I'll usually say/ask something to get him talking again lol. I also wouldn't leave water running in case it suddenly changed temperature or something. Also, if water is running then I can't hear him as well in there. I like the house fairly quiet so I can hear him while I'm running around. I'd say he has about 6-8 inches of water in there... just enough to cover his hiney up while he plays so he doesn't get cold. :)

Kat, wife to and mommy to (Dec 07).
#10 of 43 Old 03-19-2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:

This is what we have done too.

Me: Shannon (33) mom to DD Everly born May 9, 2007 and Maisie born May 26
: : :
#11 of 43 Old 03-19-2011, 05:39 PM

Thanks for this thread. DD is 4.5 and I usually sit in the bathroom and read or knit while she's in the tub (which isn't that often, actually!), but I wonder if it's ok for me to leave the room. Even though I know she's fine in there, I still worry a bit! But she's definitely a chatty one, and would be giving a running commentary of what all of her toys were doing, so I'd hear that.

#12 of 43 Old 03-19-2011, 06:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I left my dd alone in the tub at 4.  As long as you are checking often, I don't see a problem.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#13 of 43 Old 03-19-2011, 06:24 PM

at 4yo my dd was running her own baths and showers.  I don't think that most 4yos need constant supervision in the bath tub.  My almost three year old is ok in the bath unattended, but I stay on the same floor as her.  

#14 of 43 Old 03-19-2011, 10:32 PM

I've left ds in the bath by himself for a while, but Im in the next room (my sewing room) and can hear him the whole time, if I move across the room a little I can even see him in the mirror.  He sings and talks to himself all the time in the bath, so I just check on him when he goes quiet.  

He isnt allowed to get out unless I'm there, he yells for me when he is done.  I usually wash him first and then let him play as long as he wants to (it keeps him entertained!)

#15 of 43 Old 03-20-2011, 04:42 AM

I leave my almost-4yr old alone in the tub, although he is a total chatterbox and never stops talking. If there is silence, I immediately check that everything is OK.

I'm lucky that our bathroom comes directly off the kitchen, so I can bathe DS and cook dinner at the same time - I can see him at all times, and he's only a few feet away if something happens. I thought it was a strange architectural choice at first, but it's really handy.

Mothering my 4yo DS and 1yo DD
I knit : I sew : I read : I craft : and I very occasionally and irregularly blog
#16 of 43 Old 03-20-2011, 05:06 AM

I leave my 4yo in the tub with no running water. I don't take off and go grocery shopping, just to the other room where I can hear and check up on her. 

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#17 of 43 Old 03-20-2011, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

at 3.  she is a water baby so she could stay in there for an hour. however at that age i was there with her mostly and it was our favourite place to eat breakfast on my days off. 

she could be alone in there only if she sang or talked - as long as i could hear her. otherwise she had to get out. she'd usually hum. i wanted her to do that because she always chose the worst time to stay silent when i was in the middle of something and i'd have to dash. 

i am not sure if i ever conciously did water safety with her. she;s always been with me near water - she'd be in one part of the sink and i'd be in the other part doing dishes. and i've always done water safety with her. temperature of water and head above water.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#18 of 43 Old 03-20-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:

We do exactly this, and my boys are 4 and 6 too.  I've been comfortable doing it this way for probably about a year.

#19 of 43 Old 03-20-2011, 01:24 PM

Depends on the kid, obviously, but 4?  Unless I had a particularly slippy tub, I don't see why not.  By then DS knew better than to try standing up, and was an excellent swimmer already, so I had no qualms with leaving him in a half filled tub of water.  He usually had blue lips before I could get him to come out peacefully.

Rebekah - mom to Ben 03/05 and Emily 01/10, a peace educator, and a veg*n and wife to Jamie.
#20 of 43 Old 03-20-2011, 09:33 PM

At 3 I started leaving ds for bits at a time.

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#21 of 43 Old 03-21-2011, 06:39 AM

My daughter is 3.5 and I will leave her for a few minutes at a time. She never stops singing/talking so you can hear her all over the house, so I know she's just fine :-) 

Mom to Liv (9/07) ribboncesarean.gif and Nora (2/11) vbac.gif

#22 of 43 Old 03-21-2011, 07:28 AM

I start the bath by washing ds's hair.  Then he is free to play in the tub.  I am usually in the bedroom right next door.  All doors are open.  He sings, talks and splashes the whole time.  If he is quiet even a moment I will ask him how the bath is.  I am within only 4 big steps of being there.

PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Sadly, Jan 21, 2011  m/c 6w5d  angel.gif
#23 of 43 Old 03-22-2011, 01:17 PM

Yes, I leave my 4 yr old for short periods of time. Or sometimes she will be in the tub, while I take a quick shower in the seperate shower. As long as I can still hear her.

Marcy, WAHM to Alyssa (2/4/04) and Kaitlyn (6/5/06) plus cat.gifcat.gifdog2.gifdog2.gif
#24 of 43 Old 03-22-2011, 08:05 PM

My daughter is not quite 3 and I leave her for a minute or two.  She talks from when she wakes up until she passes out so I am always very aware of what is happening.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#25 of 43 Old 03-23-2011, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the repsonses.

We live in a small apt. so I do hear her all the time. But, I just remembered my other concern was that she tends to stand up a lot and I am afraid she'll slip. She is instructed to always be in the mat area only. Also, I would let the water run because the filled water cools down really quickly and that means I can't steal those few minutes to do what I wanted to as I am going back to refill the water.

#26 of 43 Old 03-23-2011, 09:42 AM

My nearly 3 yo loves his baths. I have recently started leaving the bathroom door open and walking out for a moment here and there once the getting clean part of the bath is done.  I am about 15 feet away but not always in direct line of sight.  I can always hear him though, and if he is quiet for a moment I will ask how the bath is going. 

My youngest will not be at that point at the same age.  he just won't.  He's a daredevil and would be climbing the wall of the shower just to see what happened. I suspect i may still be hands-on supervising his baths until he goes to college. (Well, maybe not QUITE that long.)

#27 of 43 Old 03-23-2011, 10:49 AM

Ah.  With that added information I might not yet.  I don't worry about the water getting cold.  Hot water is a very very recent luxury in the ways we use it. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neera View Post

Thanks for the repsonses.

We live in a small apt. so I do hear her all the time. But, I just remembered my other concern was that she tends to stand up a lot and I am afraid she'll slip. She is instructed to always be in the mat area only. Also, I would let the water run because the filled water cools down really quickly and that means I can't steal those few minutes to do what I wanted to as I am going back to refill the water.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#28 of 43 Old 03-23-2011, 10:50 AM
MJB

Yes. Definitely. My middle child turned 5 in December and has been taking hour long baths by himself since we moved here last June. When my boys were 5 and 2 I would sit in the hallway and fold laundry or read while they took a bath. 

#29 of 43 Old 03-23-2011, 12:07 PM

I leave my almost 3yo and 4yo in the tub together.  I'm usually just in their room tidying up or putting laundry away, so I'm only a few feet away.  Plus they talk non-stop - so I can always hear that they are ok. 

#30 of 43 Old 03-23-2011, 01:45 PM

bathtime = my laundry time.  Plus my kids are so loud it's a non concern.  I definitely did the same thing at 4

Tags
Safety Around Water Staying Safe , Baby Safety Tips , Baby Safety Tips New Parent Safety Guide , Bath Safety

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page